Home Forums Music 2020 Billboard Charts (Part 2)

2020 Billboard Charts (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 492 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
PopGuy
Xtina
rue
  • Profile picture
    Kai
    Topics:

There are other songs I know are streamed way more than some of those.

Like what? Undoubtedly Dynamite, WAP, Hawái are the most streamed songs worldwide at the moment.

Profile picture
    PyrateSilly
    Topics:

Like what? Undoubtedly Dynamite, WAP, Hawái are the most streamed songs worldwide at the moment.

There are streaming services in other countries that are used more than Youtube, Spotify or Apple Music … fact because in some countries those 3 are not used except by maybe expats. And on those other streaming platforms there are songs/artists being streamed way more. So saying it is Global when it is not is just plain wrong.

Profile picture
    cc
    Topics:

Those three maybe. But I think it’s mostly the other songs they were criticizing, I can assure you most of the rest of the world is not listening to those tiktok hits. Even some of the most local hits in certain countries pull much bigger numbers than these songs. India does use YouTube a lot and they pull in some of the biggest numbers there but they have their own main streaming platforms, Spotify wasn’t even available until maybe about a year ago. Chinese artists alone could easily take about 5 spots on this chart, even the most mid level artists in China can pull millions of streams or sales in a day. In Japan they don’t really stream, so I’m curious about the sales data they collect (if there was an album chart there a lot of their most popular artists would top it). I also wouldn’t be surprised to. Arab streaming service Anghami has about 60 million users that wont be reflected. Joox a south East Asian platform has 80 million users. And these are just the ones I know.  This chart is a terrible reflection of what a global hit is. Spotify was just brought to Eastern Europe this summer, it’s not in any of Africa but North, and excludes most of Western and Central Asia + China and South Korea

Cenizas - Nicolás Jaar

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Kai
    Topics:

The reason why no local streaming service has been brought in yet is because they all have different definitions of what counts as a stream. Melon has a different definition than Xiami that has a different definition than Amazon Music, etc.

For now, it’s easier for Billboard to work with the companies they have been in touch with for years/decades (iTunes, Youtube, Spotify, etc) who know the Billboard definition of a stream/sale.

Yes songs can literally sell millions within a day in China, but how much are those songs being sold for? Often less than 20 cents.

It’s the same reason why the IFPI, the official worldwide source composed by all the world’s biggest record labels, only began counting Chinese sales in the past 2 years. They needed to adjust them. Give it some time, the chart just started. Like everything in the past, eventually Billboard will add it.

Profile picture
    cc
    Topics:

The reason why no local streaming service has been brought in yet is because they all have different definitions of what counts as a stream. Melon has a different definition than Xiami that has a different definition than Amazon Music, etc. For now, it’s easier for Billboard to work with the companies they have been in touch with for years/decades (iTunes, Youtube, Spotify, etc) who know the Billboard definition of a stream/sale. Yes songs can literally sell millions within a day in China, but how much are those songs being sold for? Often less than 20 cents. It’s the same reason why the IFPI, the official worldwide source composed by all the world’s biggest record labels, only began counting Chinese sales in the past 2 years. They needed to adjust them. Give it some time, the chart just started. Like everything in the past, eventually Billboard will add it.

yeah I know, and I know they’ll probably start including other streaming platforms gradually, but I’m still going to express my disappointment over this just being another Billboard hot 100 with just more Latin artists. It’s title is misleading, and for now it’ll just be another way for America label heads to talk up their artists and call them global when the reality is they’re quite local and in just like in the USA and the UK people in other countries prioritize music in their own language. Combined with my love of following the empirical and statistical side of music and how much I love discovering and listening to music in new languages, I just personally find this annoying

Cenizas - Nicolás Jaar

Profile picture
    cc
    Topics:

Also WAP back to #1

Cenizas - Nicolás Jaar

Profile picture
    Xtina
    Topics:

Honey, “WAP” is slaying the girls!

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Who would’ve thought a song about wet ass p*$$y is what the world needed during a pandemic 😂

Get it Cardi & Megan 👏🏾

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Geoff Andrew
    Topics:

There are streaming services in other countries that are used more than Youtube, Spotify or Apple Music … fact because in some countries those 3 are not used except by maybe expats. And on those other streaming platforms there are songs/artists being streamed way more. So saying it is Global when it is not is just plain wrong.

What fact? for example Philippines and Indonesia are two of the biggest Spotify users in Asia. That’s why you’ll sometimes come across Jakarta and Quezon in the list of Top 5 of the most listening cities in some big artist

Profile picture
    Michael Myers
    Topics:

It’s crazy how “WAP” gets more undeniable every week

Megan

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

It’s crazy how “WAP” gets more undeniable every week

Megan

Tik Tok + memes + controversy

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    PyrateSilly
    Topics:

Global 200 album, please

BB has a World Album chart already. Not sure what the criteria is for who is or is not on it (ie everyone but US?) because BTS has charted on it with multiple albums for months. Map of the Soul 7 has been #1 for 22 weeks on it, Love Yourself Answer is #3 and Map of the Soul Journey is #4, Map of the Soul Persona is #7, Love Yourself Tear is #10

Profile picture
    cc
    Topics:

BB has a World Album chart already. Not sure what the criteria is for who is or is not on it (ie everyone but US?) because BTS has charted on it with multiple albums for months. Map of the Soul 7 has been #1 for 22 weeks on it, Love Yourself Answer is #3 and Map of the Soul Journey is #4, Map of the Soul Persona is #7, Love Yourself Tear is #10

the world album chart is just for certain non English language albums and it’s only counts their sales and streams in the USA

Cenizas - Nicolás Jaar

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 492 total)

The topic ‘2020 Billboard Charts (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.