Home Forums Music 2020 Billboard Charts

2020 Billboard Charts

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 105 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
replies
views
users
Marcus Snowden
Boz
supermodelslegs
  • Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s unfortunate Roddy Rich will be deemed ineligible for BNA because his year is setting up to be pretty huge.

He’s likely winning a Grammy this year so he’ll be fine.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

It’ll be more of awarding Nipsey than awarding Roddy, though.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Or not. He could also lose those, but either way, the nominations disqualify him from BNA, which is what I’m referring to.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mary J
    Participant
    Topics:

The Grammys have changed the Best New Artist rules many times. If they want Roddy Rich in, he’ll get in.

ReplyCopy URL
    ScottyDog
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure the rules are you can’t have over 30 songs or 3 albums before the eligibility year, so he’s good there, as only two mixtapes were before the eligibility period. His nominations this year are for a feature on Rap Performance, Rap/Sung Performance and Rap Song, so he SHOULD be fine there if he doesn’t win. I believe you have to be the lead artist in a performance category to be disqualified. It’s really subjective though, so who knows until we get the submission lists in October. For now, I’d say it’s OK to consider him a contender for BNA until we know for sure by him winning at the Grammys, then again after submissions are leaking in October. It’ll be a year of people debating it though… and really it’s a toss up until we know for sure.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Those rules only apply to acts who have not been nominated for a Grammy. Roddy Rich has three nominations (two in the performance categories), which means he is disqualified for BNA this season. It doesn’t matter if it’s for lead or feature.

Cardi B was disqualified because of her two nominations the year before. The same thing will happen to Roddy Rich. They’re not bending the rules for someone like Roddy Rich (especially if they didn’t for Cardi), nor do I see them changing the rules either.

ReplyCopy URL
    ScottyDog
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure there is a consideration around lead versus feature in the performance categories. Cardi was a lead on her single when she was nominated. I might be making this up entirely or it might be outdated, but I’m pretty sure if you’re nominated as a feature and don’t win and you fit within the other rules, you’re good… but again, you all will argue this until October 2020 and the truth is his breakout year is this year and it’s unfortunate if he’s disqualified and only shows the award rules are holding this category back.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure there is a consideration around lead versus feature in the performance categories.

There’s not.

Nobody fully understands the rules of BNA. It probably won’t matter in Roddy’s case if he ends up winning a Grammy this year or becomes a multiple nominee next year.

ReplyCopy URL
    ScottyDog
    Participant
    Topics:

Another one of these know-it-alls that often gets proven wrong when submissions roll around and then they go quiet. One thing you can’t count on, is a sure-thing disqualification in BNA. Look at Lizzo this year… if there’s no documentation of the rule, then it can be bent very easily, they ignored rules for Lizzo this year that are even on their website. Don’t be surprised that if Roddy Ricch continues to have a great year, that they find a way.

There’s not.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Another one of these know-it-alls that often gets proven wrong when submissions roll around and then they go quiet. One thing you can’t count on, is a sure-thing disqualification in BNA. Look at Lizzo this year… if there’s no documentation of the rule, then it can be bent very easily, they ignored rules for Lizzo this year that are even on their website. Don’t be surprised that if Roddy Ricch continues to have a great year, that they find a way.

It’s not that serious, child.

And Lizzo never received a nomination before, so her case was not the same as Roddy Rich, dummy. The only thing that was questionable about her eligibility was the amount of music she released. Otherwise, she checked all of the boxes. Most people here were in agreement that she was eligible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

They really do whatever they want with BNA. Meghan Trainor got her BNA win after two GF noms so who even knows.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

They really do whatever they want with BNA. Meghan Trainor got her BNA win after two GF noms so who even knows.

That was an old rule that was put in place for artists who had been nominated before they released a full length album. As the way music was released changed, the rules changed. One rule that negated that one was the 30 track/singles rule.

The rules are sloppy, but the committee don’t let artists in just because they want them in. Don’t even know where people here get that idea.

ReplyCopy URL
    Korbel Clinton
    Participant
    Topics:

Those rules only apply to acts who have not been nominated for a Grammy. Roddy Rich has three nominations (two in the performance categories), which means he is disqualified for BNA this season. It doesn’t matter if it’s for lead or feature. Cardi B was disqualified because of her two nominations the year before. The same thing will happen to Roddy Rich. They’re not bending the rules for someone like Roddy Rich (especially if they didn’t for Cardi), nor do I see them changing the rules either.

why was kali uchis eligible for BNA in 2019 then… when she had a previous nomination as a feature in the R&B category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

They need to give Whitney Houston Best New Artist due to their flip flopping on the rules for Best New Artist

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

TOP 10 FOR THE WEEK OF 2/15/20:

1. Roddy Rich, “The Box”
    2. Future featuring Drake, “Life Is Good”
    3. Post Malone, “Circles”
    4. Maroon 5, “Memories”
    5. Tones & I, “Dance Monkey”
    6. Lewis Capaldi, “Someone You Loved”
    7. Arizona Zervas, “Roxanne”
    8. Dan + Shay featuring Justin Bieber, “10,000 Hours”
    9. Dua Lipa, “Don’t Start Now”
    10. Billie Eilish, “Everything I Wanted”

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.