Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards nominations: Reactions (Part 2)

2020 Grammy Awards nominations: Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 465 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
PoweR
Boz
deshunfenty
  • M
    Participant
    Topics:

Imagine if Beyoncé drops a surprise album in the next couple of weeks, and she pulls a Joanne and sweeps the pop category lmao

It’ll be hilarious. I hope she will.

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Ugh I wish Maggie Rogers got in AOTY.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo is slated to perform on Eddie Murphy’s comeback on SNL, which is likely to be huge in ratings, right during voting period. 3-5 Grammys for her. Watch.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still shook about Beyoncé’s nominations

Pop voters everytime Beyoncé submits something to them (flop or not)

ReplyCopy URL
    GTFO
    Participant
    Topics:

You guys don’t make sense! Billie and Lizzo are both nominated in 5 same categories. If Lizzo wins something over Billie, she’s winning everything over Billie. If Billie wins over Lizzo, then Billie will sweep everything over Lizzo. Grammy voters will choose one person over another in every single category. There is no way that Billie wins ROTY while Lizzo wins SOTY. Lizzo and Billie will cancel each other out.

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie’s on Kimmel tonight.

ReplyCopy URL
    GTFO
    Participant
    Topics:

I am so surprised with Khalid and Maren Morris snubs. Maren was nominated last year in 3 Country categories for basically irrelavant songs but this year she had a country “hit” and won AOTY at the CMAs. But both, Maren Morris and Khalid’s albums got very mediocre reviews so Grammys definitely care about critical reception.

ReplyCopy URL
    GTFO
    Participant
    Topics:

Get real! Grammys do NOT care about critical reception. There are too many examples to name.

If the albums aren’t smashes or “Grammy darlings” they do.

ReplyCopy URL
    Matt2019
    Participant
    Topics:

The committee really needs to scale it down to 5 nominees again, or maybe leave it at 8 for AoTY only, and make a DISTINCTION between Song of the Year and Record of the Year.

This is how it should’ve been:

Record of the Year:
    1. Lizzo – Truth Hurts
    2. Lil Nas X & Billy Ray Cyrus – Old Town Road
    3. Billie Eilish – Bad Guy
    4. Post Malone & Swae Lee – Sunflower
    5. Ariana Grande – 7 Rings
    These are the records that can be recognized for their vocals and production.

Song of the year:
    1. Tanya Tucker – Bring My Flowers Now
    2. Lady Gaga – Always Remember Us This Way
    3. H.E.R – Hard Place
    4. Taylor Swift – Lover
    5. Lewis Capaldi – Someone You Loved

And these are the songs that are stronger in songwriting than production. “Truth Hurts” and “Bad Guy” has no business being in SoTY. And it’s gonna suck again, because a song with meh lyrics will win SoTY.

True, because it should follow on what the Oscars do every year.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

As I said before, I wanna say the Grammy’s care about critical reception, but then….. something like Lil Nas X happens lmao

I don’t think there’s a clear correlation. Critical acclaim can help for smaller artists, maybe get a bit more buzz.

But for bigger artists I don’t think it matters.

This year it’s hard to tell, because most of the biggest albums of the years are acclaimed anyway (Cuz I Love You,TUN, WWAF etc..)

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  M.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

I just listened to all the nominees in best song.

Bring my Flowers Now is heartfelt and has a beautiful sentiment. It’s a little too simple and repetitive for me.

Next we have six love/breakup songs: Someone You Loved, Lover, Norman Fucking Rockwell, ARUTW, Hard Place, and Truth Hurts.

Lover is the generic love song while SYL is the generic breakup song. Both songs are lyrically shallow and could basically describe any passionate relationship or painful breakup. Lover is the better song though, because even though it is very cheesy, Lover is a warm song that sounds like what it feels like to be young and in love.

Lewis’ melodramatic wailing is just painful to listen to. It’s like listening to your obnoxious friend crying and complaining about a breakup again and again and again.

ARUTW falls into the same breakup ballad category as SYL but more understated and with a more nostalgic and reminiscing tone. Lyrically, ARUTW is not very inspired, but the melody is not bad and Gaga’s slight country rock twist make this song more original and heartfelt than other lost-love ballads. This song is middle tier to me.

Hard Place and NFR both describe messy relationships, weighing the pros and cons of staying with a flawed lover. H.E.R. is trying to tell a story of emotional turbulence and the despair of having to leave a toxic person that you love, but the lyrics don’t go much deeper than that. I don’t really feel that pain from this song, I just feel underwhelmed.

Lyrically and tonally, Lana’s song is definitely the most sophisticated of all of these songs, because it is the only song that really captures the dynamic of her relationship and also does so in a subtle way doesn’t rely on cliches. Unlike all these other artists who pull out all the stops to try to go for an emotional gut punch, Lana delivers her story with a humorous ambivalence that comes with having lived and loved. By trying less, the song manages to say more than all the above song.  Lana is describing a mature adult relationship, these are two tired and flawed people choose to stay together despite hating some things about each other. It is such a beautiful and endearing song with a gorgeous melody.

Truth Hurts is also very strong lyrically and melodically, and like Lana describing her relationship, Lizzo takes a humorous tone to really tell the story of her breakup. This song has everything: clever and purposeful lyrics, melody, vocals, great production, the only problem is that it might come of as overly sassy or too bombastic for some voters.

Bad Guy in my opinion should not be nominated in this category, although I still somewhat like this song. This song is lyrically shallow and melodically simple. The vocals and lyrics in this song really are an afterthought and take a back seat to the production. This song could have been slightly modified to be a purely instrumental track with no vocals and would have been almost as strong.

Ranked in order of personal preference
    1. NFR

2. Truth Hurts

3. Lover

4. Bad Guy

5. Bring My Flowers Now

6. ARUTW

7. Hard Place

8. Someone You Loved

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

You guys don’t make sense! Billie and Lizzo are both nominated in 5 same categories. If Lizzo wins something over Billie, she’s winning everything over Billie. If Billie wins over Lizzo, then Billie will sweep everything over Lizzo. Grammy voters will choose one person over another in every single category. There is no way that Billie wins ROTY while Lizzo wins SOTY. Lizzo and Billie will cancel each other out.

Not necessarily.

Perfect example: Beyoncé wins SOTY and Female Pop over Taylor Swift, but Taylor Swift wins AOTY over Beyoncé. It’s probably a split consensus between Lizzo and Billie where I can see it goes either way.

ReplyCopy URL
    GTFO
    Participant
    Topics:

Not necessarily. Perfect example: Beyoncé wins SOTY and Female Pop over Taylor Swift, but Taylor Swift wins AOTY over Beyoncé. It’s probably a split consensus between Lizzo and Billie where I can see it goes either way.

Yeah, you’re correct but that year was the only year that something like that happened. It could happen but I think if they go for one of them, she is winning everything. The only scenario that they would split wins is that Lizzo wins SOTY, ROTY and Pop Solo and but Billie wins AOTY because her album is much bigger and stronger overall. If Billie wins SOTY or ROTY, she’s sweeping everything else.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

A sweep is not possible this year because of Old Town Road.

But I swear…. If Lil Nas X wins AoTY too because of Old Town Road, I’ll stop watching the Grammy’s forever!

Nothing surprises me anymore. In recent years they have become shit.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

If the general field was still 5 nominees:

AOTY
    1. Father of the Bride
    2. When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
    3. Cuz I Love You
    4. Thank U, Next
    5. I Used To Know Her

ROTY
    1. Sunflower
    2. Old Town Road
    3. Truth Hurts
    4. Bad Guy
    5. Hard Place

SOTY
    1. Truth Hurts
    2. Bad Guy
    3. Someone You Loved
    4. Lover
    5. Hard Place

BNA
    1. Lizzo
    2. Billie Eilish
    3. Lil Nas X
    4. Maggie Rogers
    5. Yola

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 465 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.