Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 977 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +32 hidden )
replies
views
users
Oz
M
DC95
  • NASA
    Participant
    Topics:

The Billboard’s ROTY predictions (so far):

LEADERS

Ariana Grande, “Thank U, Next”

Cardi B & Bruno Mars’ “Please Me”

Post Malone & Swae Lee, “Sunflower (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)”

Bad Bunny feat. Drake, “Mia”

Billie Eilish, “When the Party’s Over”

H.E.R., “Hard Place”

Halsey, “Without Me”

Dan + Shay, “Speechless”

CONTENDERS: Ella Mai, “Trip” — Khalid, “Better” — Maren Morris, “Girl” — Jonas Brothers, “Sucker” — Gesaffelstein & The Weeknd, “Lost in the Fire” — Sam Smith & Normani, “Dancing With a Stranger” — Imagine Dragons, “Bad Liar”

POSSIBILITIES: P!nk, “Walk Me Home” — Ellie Goulding x Diplo feat. Swae Lee, “Close to Me” — Juice WRLD, “Robbery”

link: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/8503866/grammys-early-line-2020-record-of-the-year-contenders

M
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll be over and done with the grammys if Billie Eillish gets a RoTY nod.
    But Billboard are often delusional anyway when it comes to predictions.

Billie doesn’t even sings, she whispers.

24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

Losing a month in the eligibility period gives a lot of artists a boost:

A Star is Born Soundtrack is looking more likely to be nominated in Album of the Year now along with some coattail noms in Pop Duo amongst others.

Ariana looks stronger to show up in the General Field (she won’t win, but there is a stronger case for her to be nominated… the “Scorpion” of this year).

Jonas Brothers might sneak in multiple noms (Pop Duo, Pop Album, SOTY)

Khalid should be able to breakthrough with his own solo General Field noms for his work. I feel like “Better” was submitted last year though, which is a shame.

I think Panic! At The Disco will receive a make-up nom for not being nominated for their huge hit “High Hopes” which made it big around the eligibility cut off time. Whether it’s a hit or not, I see their next pop single “Look Ma I Made It” getting in Pop Duo/Group.

Maren Morris will probably sweep in Country.

Mariah Carey’s looking to mirror the R&B nominations Toni Braxton received this past year with her critically acclaimed album. H.E.R. and Solange will show up in R&B as well… So will Khalid, India.Arie and Kehlani… maybe Ella Mai.

“Please Me” is awful in my opinion but I don’t see how it misses out in ROTY and whatever category they label the collab (Pop? Rap/Sung?)

Halsey announced she’ll have an album out soon so I can see her breaking through with Pop Solo and Album noms.

“Sunflower” should easily get in to both ROTY and SOTY.

Hozier looking good in Rock Field.

Blueface will Be this year’s JUICEwrld and will be snubbed. Grammys will not touch Thotiana lol. Also if Ava Max can’t come up with a 2nd hit single I don’t see her making an impact.

Billie Eilish is a sure thing in Best New Artist. I’m wondering if Lizzo is still eligible to be nominated in that category since she’s having a bit of a breakthrough moment now.

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

The early deadline isn’t going to have a big effect on the AOTY race. Almost every artist who would be releasing in September to meet the deadline will just release at the end of August instead.

The big thing will be that songs that start making an impact at the end of the summer / beginning of fall will have a harder time getting in. Remember the songs last year like “High Hopes” and “Happier” that started blowing up around the end of September and became massive hits in the fall? We’ll see more of those types of songs getting shut out.

Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

Not to mention that TUN won’t even be the biggest song of the year. That might be Without Me considering its undeniable longevity.

And TUN the album won’t be the biggest of the year either. That’ll be ASIB (which is close to 2M already).

The #1 album last year was relegated to 1 nom, and the #1 single of 2016 didn’t get into the GF.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

The #1 album last year was relegated to 1 nom, and the #1 single of 2016 didn’t get into the GF.

I was responding to someone who was saying that unless Adele releases, Arianna is going to win or something lol. I was pointing that Ariana doesn’t even have the likeliest AoTY nominee and doesn’t have the likeliest RoTY nominee either.

Context. ASIB’s lead single received 4 nominations last year. Reputation’s lead single (LWYMMD) received none. So as it stands, ASIB is the leading contender among pop artists/albums. We don’t know how many pop albums they’ll nominate. Last year they only nominated one. And it can very well be neither ASIB nor TUN, but a new release.

Without Me is bigger than TUN. It was a well-received song too due to its personal lyrics. And the double standard is real. You think that the committee will somehow take Ariana more seriously than Halsey? Why? They both belong in the same category of singers. They can both be nominated and they can both be snubbed.

With that being said, I definitely don’t think Without Me stands a chance at winning in the GF, just like TUN doesn’t. But it’s likely to get at least a RoTY nomination given this longevity and the narrative the song has.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  M.
    voguekid
    Participant
    Topics:

Adele doesn’t need to release. If voters picked a non-charting Joanne last year over Ariana’s hit and another x6 platinum hit , I’m pretty sure they will have no problem picking better less-commercial songs this year too if they don’t like these basic trap beat Ariana songs. Don’t get yourself hyped up, because you might be disappointed. Not to mention that TUN won’t even be the biggest song of the year. That might be Without Me considering its undeniable longevity. And TUN the album won’t be the biggest of the year either. That’ll be ASIB (which is close to 2M already).

Here he goes again, LOL.

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Ariana is a Grammy winner; Halsey has not even been nominated for a Grammy aside from collaborations with The Chainsmokers and Justin Bieber.

2. Ariana has released an album with three major hit singles including two #1s; “Without Me” as of now is a standalone single and a follow-up has not been released, an album not officially announced.

So it’s not unreasonable to think that she’s going to have more of a presence on next year’s nominations than Halsey.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Ariana is a Grammy winner; Halsey has not even been nominated for a Grammy aside from collaborations with The Chainsmokers and Justin Bieber.

2. Ariana has released an album with three major hit singles including two #1s; “Without Me” as of now is a standalone single and a follow-up has not been released, an album not officially announced.

So it’s not unreasonable to think that she’s going to have more of a presence on next year’s nominations than Halsey.

Except that I was merely saying that Without Me is a bigger hit than TUN and may very well get in RoTY over TUN, just like My Blood got in over No Tears Left To Cry.

There’s no point in comparing Ariana’s album to a non-existent Halsey album. Two of last year nominees This Is America and The Middle were standalone singles and one of them ended up winning. So your point proves nothing. Ariana may get more nominations than Halsey. But they both have equal chances of being nominated or winning. They’re both the type of artists that the Academy barely takes seriously.

Also for the 6 year career of Ariana Grande, a single grammy doesn’t mean much lol. Even Dua Lipa has 2.

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Except that I was merely saying that Without Me is a bigger hit than TUN and may very well get in RoTY over TUN, just like My Blood got in over No Tears Left To Cry.

I’m not sure about that. “Thank U, Next” charted higher in most major markets and has more streams on Spotify and views on YouTube. “Without Me” only seems to be bigger on American radio. Do you have stats to back this claim up?

They’re both the type of artists that the Academy barely takes seriously.

Is that why Ariana has 6 nominations and 1 win, and Halsey has no nominations for her own work?

Grammy voters clearly respect Ariana; to suggest otherwise is to ignore the facts.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  DC95.
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

You’ve come up with every excuse in the book to belittle Ariana’s chances.

Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

thank u, next is a bigger hit than Without Me. It’s done way better in streams and Youtube, and has similar sales. The issue comes with Without Me being a standalone single, Halsey has no other song to promote to radio (aside from maybe Eastside, where she isn’t the lead). Ariana moved quickly from single to single, which meant that radio stations had to stop prompting thank u, next to start promoting 7 Rings, hence why thank u, next might feel smaller.

Plus, “thank u, next” definitely was a moment, while Without Me is riding high mostly off radio (not to say it isn’t big, cuz it is). We all know which of the two will be more remembered.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

You guys really don’t have to respond to everything I say about Ariana, do you lol?

You’re not going to convince me she will be in any other category than what I predict her for. Last year I added sweetener as the last minute after Golderby overestimated her and I ended up regretting it. So let people predict what they want. You don’t agree? You don’t have to.

It’s not like I hate or anything. I’m not a fan of her music and find it basic, but I’m still unbiased when it comes to her chances of winning. I just posted earlier today than she’s the leading contender for Best Pop Album so far. And I had her #2 behind Joanne last year when people were saying Havana was going to win. I just don’t feel confident about her GF chances yet.

Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

Forums are meant to…discuss.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Plus, “thank u, next” definitely was a moment, while Without Me is riding high mostly off radio (not to say it isn’t big, cuz it is). We all know which of the two will be more remembered.

Because 7 Rings isn’t #1 thanks to radio play right now? Let’s stop cherry picking here. 7 rings and TUN both were #1 for many weeks mainly thanks to the massive audience radios gave them. And that usually translates into increased sales and streams thanks to the exposure.

Ariana stans can’t complain about radioplay when every single one of her songs reached like a peak of 100M+ audience.

Also I doubt TUN will be remembered, except in the minds of the stans to be frank. The chorus isn’t powerful or catchy. It’s quite basic and repetitive. Cute the first listens, but gets boring over time. She’s had better songs with more memorable choruses like Dangerous Woman, No Tears Left To Cry etc..

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 977 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.