Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 948 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
M
Darren
  • M
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie Ellish’s album projected to debut with 250k+. That’s a pretty strong debut for a debut album.

She has no grammy history and I’m not a fan of her music, but I won’t be surprised if she takes home Best Pop Album if the year remains this weak. It’ll probably be between her and Ariana for the time being.

Andrew
    Participant
    Topics:

I could see a scenario where they award Billie over Ariana since Ariana won last year and they wouldn’t want to award her back to back.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

A good chunk of Billie’s sales come from tour-bundles, but even then, 250k+ is totallly excellent. Camila got in with an album that sold like 120k SPS so definitely Billie could.

However, her team should really push for Alternative. Ariana has bigger sales and acclaim (plus actual hit songa). If Beck was allowed to compete in Alternative, then Billie should too.

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie Ellish’s album projected to debut with 250k+. That’s a pretty strong debut for a debut album. She has no grammy history and I’m not a fan of her music, but I won’t be surprised if she takes home Best Pop Album if the year remains this weak. It’ll probably be between her and Ariana for the time being.

I could see a scenario where they award Billie over Ariana since Ariana won last year and they wouldn’t want to award her back to back.

I don’t know man about Pop Vocal Album. Ariana’s album has track after track after track of pop with trap bangers. Awarding Billie with that would be werid. One because Ariana’s is commercially, critically and has much more singles and punching power. But I see Billie as the horror Lorde, so it wouldn’t feel right to award Billie an award where I compare her to the singing equivalent of Lorde to someone who sings far much beyond her peers. So I gotta say a no to that.

Barnacles Bro

M
    Participant
    Topics:

One because Ariana’s is commercially, critically and has much more singles and punching power. But I see Billie as the horror Lorde, so it wouldn’t feel right to award Billie an award where I compare her to the singing equivalent of Lorde to someone who sings far much beyond her peers. So I gotta say a no to that.

For commercial. She’s not that far behind. I think if she had the radio support, she would’ve had a #1 song. I mean 8 of the top 10 on spotify are her songs. And even then, the voters didn’t go for the most commercially successful album last year.

For critical acclaim, she has 80 so far and there’ll be more reviews. So it’s not like TUN is far more acclaimed than hers (it’s a difference of few points).

Again I’m not a fan of either, but I could see either winning Best Pop Album.

Andrew
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know man about Pop Vocal Album. Ariana’s album has track after track after track of pop with trap bangers. Awarding Billie with that would be werid. One because Ariana’s is commercially, critically and has much more singles and punching power. But I see Billie as the horror Lorde, so it wouldn’t feel right to award Billie an award where I compare her to the singing equivalent of Lorde to someone who sings far much beyond her peers. So I gotta say a no to that.

You’re probably right, and billie’s style isn’t something the voters would like since it’s more geared towards an edgy-tween-teen style that older voters probably wouldn’t like.  Her fan base is more geared to that audience too. Ariana’s album has more appeal to an older voter than Billie’s

Skies
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you think that Mark Ronson’s upcoming album Late Night Feelings could stand a chance in Pop Vocal? He got in for Uptown Special in 2016, but it’s undeniable that the album’s massive lead single really boosted its profile.

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

For commercial. She’s not that far behind. I think if she had the radio support, she would’ve had a #1 song. I mean 8 of the top 10 on spotify are her songs. And even then, the voters didn’t go for the most commercially successful album last year. For critical acclaim, she has 80 so far and there’ll be more reviews. So it’s not like TUN is far more acclaimed than hers (it’s a difference of few points). Again I’m not a fan of either, but I could see either winning Best Pop Album.

My biggest issue is with pop VOCAL album. Billie isn’t the cutting edge in vocals, but her production is amazing. Ariana’s vocals are superior and there’s no question in that. And if Billie won and Lorde wasn’t even nominated in 2017 would raise some eyebrows. And even though Billie is a little away from Ariana, she is still behind. Give Billie time to blossom and she could be a superstar. Just like H.E.R. last year.

Barnacles Bro

M
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re probably right, and billie’s style isn’t something the voters would like since it’s more geared towards an edgy-tween-teen style that older voters probably wouldn’t like. Her fan base is more geared to that audience too. Ariana’s album has more appeal to an older voter than Billie’s

That’s what people thought about Lorde with her debut album too. They thought she was too teen-ish.

I think the advantage billie might have over Ariana, is that she’s not just a manufactured pop star shopping songs, she wrote her album and produced it with her brother. So she might end up being more respected by the voters. But we’ll see.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  M.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  M.
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie’s album will be a threat to win whether it gets placed in pop or alternative.

She could very well be one of the most nominated artists next year. All of the following are possible:

Album of the Year
    Record/Song of the Year
    Best New Artist (a lock, and likely win)
    Best Pop Solo Performance
    Best Pop Vocal Album / Best Alternative Music Album
    Best Dance Recording (maybe)
    Best Music Video

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Darren.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Darren.
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

My biggest issue is with pop VOCAL album. Billie isn’t the cutting edge in vocals, but her production is amazing. Ariana’s vocals are superior and there’s no question in that. And if Billie won and Lorde wasn’t even nominated in 2017 would raise some eyebrows. And even though Billie is a little away from Ariana, she is still behind. Give Billie time to blossom and she could be a superstar. Just like H.E.R. last year.

Best Pop Vocal Album has nothing to do with vocal ability. “Vocal” is there to disqualify instrumental pop albums.

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Pop Vocal Album has nothing to do with vocal ability. “Vocal” is there to disqualify instrumental pop albums.

Why don’t they change it to like “Modern Pop”? I mean they have best traditional pop album, why not that? There’s a ton mainstream artist that’s always in this catagory, but no one cares about them. Why don’t they have a total of commercial and critical records in pop like what they do in rap?

Barnacles Bro

Brayfers
    Participant
    Topics:

i feel like Billie should definitely compete in Best Alternative Album.

Andrew
    Participant
    Topics:

Lordes album in 2017 wasn’t as much of a horror-pop-alternative album as her first though. Her first one is sort of similar to Billies and it was nominated. And melodrama still was nominated in album of the year. Billie sort of has lorde’s first album style with lorde’s second album single success. Pure heroine was at 79 on metacritic and Billie is at 80 (for now) while melodrama’s highest single was 19 on billboard and Billie’s was 14 (also for now, her album bomb could change her highest peak). Both of lorde’s albums got nominations so I think billie’s could be a strong conteder.

AwardsBait3818
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie’s album will be a threat to win whether it gets placed in pop or alternative.

She could very well be one of the most nominated artists next year. All of the following are possible:

Best Dance Recording (maybe)

For which song?

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 948 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.