Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 977 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +32 hidden )
replies
views
users
Oz
M
DC95
  • Brayfers
    Participant
    Topics:

how do you guys feel about Ben Platt’s chances at a couple nominations? his album is good, a great vocal moment. His song Bad Habit is also amazing. Do you think he could get pop solo and pop vocal album noms?

OneAndOnlyMe.
    Participant
    Topics:

From what’s been released so far:

Pop Solo:

• Walk Me Home, P!nk
    • Without Me, Halsey
    • 7 Rings/Thank U, Next, Ariana Grande
    • Always Remember Us This Way, Lady Gaga
    • Unreleased Song from 2019

Pop Duo/Group:

• Sucker, The Jonas Brothers
    • Sunflower, Post Malone and Swae Lee
    • Dancing With A Stranger, Sam Smith + Normani
    • Nothing Breaks Like A Heart, Miley Cyrus and Mark Ronson
    • I’ll Never Love Again (Film Version), Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  HarmonV.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  HarmonV.
    OneAndOnly
    Participant
    Topics:

how do you guys feel about Ben Platt’s chances at a couple nominations? his album is good, a great vocal moment. His song Bad Habit is also amazing. Do you think he could get pop solo and pop vocal album noms?

He’s already an Grammy winner, and the album is amazing “Hurt Me Once” needs to pushed as the next single, I think he has a shot, more so than Troye ever had unfortunately.

I will always love you

MiguelTwentyFive
    Participant
    Topics:

I was responding to someone who was saying that unless Adele releases, Arianna is going to win or something lol. I was pointing that Ariana doesn’t even have the likeliest AoTY nominee and doesn’t have the likeliest RoTY nominee either.

Context. ASIB’s lead single received 4 nominations last year. Reputation’s lead single (LWYMMD) received none. So as it stands, ASIB is the leading contender among pop artists/albums. We don’t know how many pop albums they’ll nominate. Last year they only nominated one. And it can very well be neither ASIB nor TUN, but a new release.

Without Me is bigger than TUN. It was a well-received song too due to its personal lyrics. And the double standard is real. You think that the committee will somehow take Ariana more seriously than Halsey? Why? They both belong in the same category of singers. They can both be nominated and they can both be snubbed.

With that being said, I definitely don’t think Without Me stands a chance at winning in the GF, just like TUN doesn’t. But it’s likely to get at least a RoTY nomination given this longevity and the narrative the song has.

Halsey will be snubbed. Ariana’s Grande should submit Thank u, Next for ROTY and not 7 Rings.

Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

Wish You Were Gay would be an atrocious submission.

BNA
    AOTY – WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?
    ROTY – bury a friend
    SOTY – bury a friend
    Pop Solo – when the party’s over
    Alternative Album

“Bury a friend” in SOTY is …. very left-field but I wouldn’t be opposed to it.

alex00g2
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Billie, Gaga, and Ariana are all safely in Album of the Year. All of them are frontrunners in at least two awards. Billie – BNA & Alternative Album Gaga – Song For Visual Media & Compilation For Visual Media Ariana – Pop Vocal Album & Pop Solo

The Grammys won’t put Billie’s album into alternative.

Korbel Clinton
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana has said and continues to say thank u, next is her favorite song she’s ever created … i wonder if she’ll submit that song only… Because ehh 7 rings only really fits record of the year and i don’t even like it that much

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Gaga is no Adele. They are not going to give her Pop Solo two years in a row with such forgettable songs.

Depends on the competition. The biggest threat right now would be Ariana, and they awarded Gaga over her in February. Also, voters really loved A Star Is Born this year.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie Ellish’s album projected to debut with 250k+. That’s a pretty strong debut for a debut album.

She has no grammy history and I’m not a fan of her music, but I won’t be surprised if she takes home Best Pop Album if the year remains this weak. It’ll probably be between her and Ariana for the time being.

Andrew
    Participant
    Topics:

I could see a scenario where they award Billie over Ariana since Ariana won last year and they wouldn’t want to award her back to back.

Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

A good chunk of Billie’s sales come from tour-bundles, but even then, 250k+ is totallly excellent. Camila got in with an album that sold like 120k SPS so definitely Billie could.

However, her team should really push for Alternative. Ariana has bigger sales and acclaim (plus actual hit songa). If Beck was allowed to compete in Alternative, then Billie should too.

Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie Ellish’s album projected to debut with 250k+. That’s a pretty strong debut for a debut album. She has no grammy history and I’m not a fan of her music, but I won’t be surprised if she takes home Best Pop Album if the year remains this weak. It’ll probably be between her and Ariana for the time being.

I could see a scenario where they award Billie over Ariana since Ariana won last year and they wouldn’t want to award her back to back.

I don’t know man about Pop Vocal Album. Ariana’s album has track after track after track of pop with trap bangers. Awarding Billie with that would be werid. One because Ariana’s is commercially, critically and has much more singles and punching power. But I see Billie as the horror Lorde, so it wouldn’t feel right to award Billie an award where I compare her to the singing equivalent of Lorde to someone who sings far much beyond her peers. So I gotta say a no to that.

Barnacles Bro

M
    Participant
    Topics:

One because Ariana’s is commercially, critically and has much more singles and punching power. But I see Billie as the horror Lorde, so it wouldn’t feel right to award Billie an award where I compare her to the singing equivalent of Lorde to someone who sings far much beyond her peers. So I gotta say a no to that.

For commercial. She’s not that far behind. I think if she had the radio support, she would’ve had a #1 song. I mean 8 of the top 10 on spotify are her songs. And even then, the voters didn’t go for the most commercially successful album last year.

For critical acclaim, she has 80 so far and there’ll be more reviews. So it’s not like TUN is far more acclaimed than hers (it’s a difference of few points).

Again I’m not a fan of either, but I could see either winning Best Pop Album.

Andrew
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know man about Pop Vocal Album. Ariana’s album has track after track after track of pop with trap bangers. Awarding Billie with that would be werid. One because Ariana’s is commercially, critically and has much more singles and punching power. But I see Billie as the horror Lorde, so it wouldn’t feel right to award Billie an award where I compare her to the singing equivalent of Lorde to someone who sings far much beyond her peers. So I gotta say a no to that.

You’re probably right, and billie’s style isn’t something the voters would like since it’s more geared towards an edgy-tween-teen style that older voters probably wouldn’t like.  Her fan base is more geared to that audience too. Ariana’s album has more appeal to an older voter than Billie’s

Skies
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you think that Mark Ronson’s upcoming album Late Night Feelings could stand a chance in Pop Vocal? He got in for Uptown Special in 2016, but it’s undeniable that the album’s massive lead single really boosted its profile.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 977 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.