Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 948 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
M
Darren
  • Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana Grande straight-up resurrected what was left of pop music. Gaga and the JoBros are also part of the resurgence.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana Grande straight-up resurrected what was left of pop music. Gaga and the JoBros are also part of the resurgence.

Pop was fine. People quickly forget that Ed Sheeran dominated 2017 and 2018 to a level Ariana never can anyway. Shape Of You was the best selling son of 2017, and Perfect was the best song of 2018. So yeah let’s stop acting like pop needed her lol!

Licorice
    Participant
    Topics:

Not expecting anything besides a documentary of her Coachella performance with at most a new song. But we have some strong contenders in theory for Best Music Film as of now: Guava Island by Childish reputation Stadium Tour by Taylor Potential Coachella Documentary by Beyoncé Childish is the only clear lock, and likely winner. The others are contenders in theory, but modern singer documentaries / concert films barley make it in here. They sadly prefer documentries about passed away veterans (and yes, I mean sadly very strongly as they somehow awarded a tired Beatle documentary over Lemonade).

whats guava Island about?

kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

calling it now: a lemonade type surpise release

It better be because I need another Lemonade soon or I’ll just give up on this year’s music.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Lorde was snubbed in a five nominee lineup. It would be weird to ignore Billie in an eight nominee lineup in a relatively weak year so far.

Korbel Clinton
    Participant
    Topics:

And we said 2018 was a weak year…. look at this year … 💀

JDM
    Participant
    Topics:

Pop was fine. People quickly forget that Ed Sheeran dominated 2017 and 2018 to a level Ariana never can anyway. Shape Of You was the best selling son of 2017, and Perfect was the best song of 2018. So yeah let’s stop acting like pop needed her lol! [/quote

lmao you may think Perfect was the best song of 2018 but others don’t! Perfect was released in early 2017 and the remix was released in November of 2017 so sorry to tell you but it can’t be the best song of 2018 if it wasn’t realease in that year😢 plus it was dead by late March because Havana took over in early January! And Pop did need her wtf… I know for a fact, because I have said it myself, that you have said multiple times that Ariana has #1s because no other artist has released music, that includes other pop artists. If Ariana didn’t release music last year the only pop artists that would have been out there was Dua Lipa and Bebe Rexha… so don’t try and say that pop didn’t need her because no major name pop artists released albums and continuous music last year besides Ariana! Which pop artists would have been that big last year please inform me if I am wrong! And you have to give me an example of an artists that could have carried pop music all year like Ariana did from April of 2018 to February of 2019! Don’t worry I’ll wait…

M
    Participant
    Topics:

If you read again, you’d realize I meant to write best-selling song (could be the 2nd best selling in 2018 since its 3 first months weren’t counted in 2018).

Billboard year-end charts of 2018 had 4 pop songs in the TOP 10: Perfect, Girls Like You, Havana and The Middle. So it’s not like Pop was somehow extinct and Ariana resurrected it lol… You can argue those songs are bad, but that’s subjective. Many of us think 7 rings is also bad. So what difference does it make….

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  M.
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

If you read again, you’d realize I meant to write best-selling song (could be the 2nd best selling in 2018 since its 3 first months weren’t counted in 2018). Billboard year-end charts of 2018 had 4 pop songs in the TOP 10: Perfect, Girls Like You, Havana and The Middle. So it’s not like Pop was somehow extinct and Ariana resurrected it lol… You can argue those songs are bad, but that’s subjective. Many of us think 7 rings is also bad. So what difference does it make….

I can agree with you that pop wasn’t extinct, it was more in the back of where 2018 was such peak trap year full of Drake, Cardi B, Post Malone and Travis Scott. I feel Pop really got lucky this year and it wasn’t all Ariana.  I mean Billie is killing it in her indie, horror-pop sphere. Lady Gaga got her first number one since 2011. The Jonas Brothers got their first #1. Ariana has become a pop icon with 2 mega-charter number ones. And don’t forget about songs like Without Me by Halsey, Happier by Marshmello feat. Bastile, and Sunflower by Post Malone feat. Swae Lee. I mean that doesn’t mean that Ariana Grande’s 7 rings doesn’t have trap influence, I think that trap has helped evolve genres like pop and country to become more accepted in the mainstream. Look at old town road. So yes, you can make a fair argument that pop wasn’t officially dead due to 4 singles. But we already 4 months in and we have pop smash hits after hits that many were lacking last year due to the rise of interest in peak trap. I’m impressed.

Barnacles Bro

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Sure, but only 3 pop songs reached #1 last year, and 1 was Ariana. This year we have 7 rings, Without Me, Sunflower, Shallow, Sucker. Pop ia definitely the #1 genre so far.

I don’t think some of y’all understand that Billboard works with *radio* as well as with sales and streams, so Pop songs are bound to last longer and, therefore, have better positions in the YE. It is not the most accurate representation of what’s really been dominating. Just look at Without Me.

abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Billie is a lock for BNA, but don’t think she’ll win.

If another bland, white pop artist wins for the third year in a row I will rage.

Elusive Chanteuse
    Participant
    Topics:

I kid you not but The Recording Academy recently tweeted this –

“Although the #Music industry has seen a recent push for female artists, it may be the listeners who need to be come more supportive of female artists.”

Can we cancel them officially?

vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

“Although the #Music industry has seen a recent push for female artists, it may be the listeners who need to be come more supportive of female artists.”

Ugh. So much I want to say but will simply just put this as my response since that tweet is dumb as shit:

BF

AwardsBait3818
    Participant
    Topics:

It has been confirmed that Beyoncé’s Netflix project is a Coachella concert documentary called Homecoming.

kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

Did they just say this when they gave Chris Brown 11 nominations and a win after he nearly beat Rihanna to death? I-

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 948 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.