Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 948 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
M
Darren
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Well Lorde was shut out of BNA, so who knows

In addition to it being a 5-nominee lineup like others have pointed out, that was an unusually competitive year for new artists. Florida Georgia Line, Imagine Dragons, Emeli Sande, Phillip Phillips, Tamar Braxton, A$AP Rocky, and others were also shut out. Also Ariana Grande and The Weeknd, even though they weren’t half the stars they are today.

Also, Lorde only had a hit and a half at the time of the nominations, so they were probably skeptical to put in someone who could have possibly ended up being a one-hit wonder. Billie’s success is not tied to any one hit, but rather her entire body of work and aesthetic.

Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, I know nothing about music nowadays but I suddenly stan Ariana Grande because she honours me in one of her songs. I love her! And as she says:

Ain’t nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

M
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think some of y’all understand that Billboard works with *radio* as well as with sales and streams, so Pop songs are bound to last longer and, therefore, have better positions in the YE. It is not the most accurate representation of what’s really been dominating. Just look at Without Me.

Okay but that’s true of most pop songs even current ones, not just Without Me. As a matter of a recent example, 7 rings is currently #14 on Spotify, #31 on itunes, and yet #1 on BB100, thanks to radio airplay.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Okay but that’s true of most pop songs even current ones, not just Without Me. As a matter of a recent example, 7 rings is currently #14 on Spotify, #31 on itunes, and yet #1 on BB100, thanks to radio airplay.

True, but poppier songs do get more airplay.

RichardAniston
    Participant
    Topics:

Old Town Road will be #1 on Billboard next week. With it’s crossover appeal with Country and Rap fans (and voters), I’d say it’s a strong contender for a Record of the Year nomination.

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Old Town Road will be #1 on Billboard next week. With it’s crossover appeal with Country and Rap fans (and voters), I’d say it’s a strong contender for a Record of the Year nomination.

That’s crazy to be honest. But I rather wait to predict ROTY or SOTY. I notice that both of the catagories is either a number one song or a song that stays on the charts for a long time. I think an example is Shawn Mendes’ In My Blood and Ella Mai’s Boo’d Up. So let’s wait to see how much the Old Town Road hype last and if we remember it September 1st.

Barnacles Bro

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

“Party Rock Anthem” spent many weeks at #1 and was one of the biggest hits of the 2011 but didn’t get any type of nomination. “Old Town Road” is not something the Grammys go for, so it’s not a lock.

Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

“Party Rock Anthem” spent many weeks at #1 and was one of the biggest hits of the 2011 but didn’t get any type of nomination. “Old Town Road” is not something the Grammys go for, so it’s not a lock.

Maybe they’ll nominate the Billy Ray version. I think Old Town Road should be submitted to Pop Duo/Group. Anything goes it seems with that category.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Deemy.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Deemy.
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

If the Grammys ignored Harlem Shake and Gangnam Style and Black Beatles, they’ll definitely ignore this song too. I’m surprised this is actually a serious discussion, especially the ROTY talk.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe they’ll nominate the Billy Ray version. I think Old Town Road should be submitted to Pop Duo/Group. Anything goes it seems with that category.

Maybe, but it’s not like Billy Ray has been in conversation for two decades.

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not willing to predict Without Me to be nominated in ROTY or SOTY. It’s a massive hit and everything, but will there be a spot for it? These categories usually contain one song that is never on anyone’s radar, two or three pop songs and a rap song. Ariana could very well take one of those spots, and Beyonce, Taylor or Adele could take the other spots if they release new music before the deadline.

6 GOD
    Participant
    Topics:

Game of Thrones Soundtrack
    https://twitter.com/raphubdaily/status/1115669485304807424?s=21
    With how much of a phenomenon the show is, is this a possible AOTY nomination?

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not willing to predict Without Me to be nominated in ROTY or SOTY. It’s a massive hit and everything, but will there be a spot for it? These categories usually contain one song that is never on anyone’s radar, two or three pop songs and a rap song. Ariana could very well take one of those spots, and Beyonce, Taylor or Adele could take the other spots if they release new music before the deadline.

I think it will almost surely be nominated for Pop Solo, but Record and/or Song most likely aren’t happening. If more big hits don’t come along by the end of August, then maybe, but I’m not seeing it. Especially not Song because of the “Cry Me a River” sample.

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it will almost surely be nominated for Pop Solo, but Record and/or Song most likely aren’t happening. If more big hits don’t come along by the end of August, then maybe, but I’m not seeing it. Especially not Song because of the “Cry Me a River” sample.

This is where I’m at. A Pop Solo nomination is a lock, and a Pop Vocal Album nomination is possible if Halsey releases her third album by August. ROTY and/or SOTY, though? No.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Likely Record Of The Year nominees so far:
    1. Without Me
    2. Please Me
    3. Sunflower
    4. Dancing With A Stranger

Ariana’s chance depends on its submission (I can see a nod for TUN, but not 7 Rings). I can see a nod in AoTY for Billie but not sure about RoTY yet. Let’s see how well Bad Guy will do.

Country and Rock are incredibly weak this year. Can’t think of potential contenders. I can see them giving a couple of spots to artists the committee like however weak their submissions are. Childish Gambino will probably get in with whatever new stuff he’ll release. Gaga also has a chance if she submits INLA (that performance got her an Oscar nod for Best Actress so won’t be surprised if it makes it in the GF in a weak year and it has over 130M views so not “too obscure”) but I’m not betting on it yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 948 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.