Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 948 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
Darren
JDM
  • Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Here are my opinions on AOTY as of this month:

Top contenders:
    Childish Gambino – TBA (if it makes deadline, which seems likely)
    Gary Clark Jr. – This Land
    Billie Eilish – When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
    Ariana Grande – Thank U, Next

Possible:
    Sara Bareilles – Amidst the Chaos
    The Black Keys – TBA
    Cardi B – TBA
    H.E.R. – TBA
    Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper – A Star Is Born Soundtrack
    Maren Morris – Girl
    Anderson .Paak – Ventura (TBR) or Oxnard
    Twenty One Pilots – Trench

Long shots:
    Halsey – TBA
    Hozier – Wasteland, Baby!
    Imagine Dragons – Origins
    Khalid – Free Spirit
    Jonas Brothers – TBA
    Meek Mill – Championships
    Ella Mai – Ella Mai
    Mumford & Sons – Delta
    P!nk – Hurts 2B Human (TBR)
    Thomas Rhett – Center Point Road (TBR)
    Maggie Rogers – Heard It in a Past Life
    21 Savage – I Am > I Was

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

I agree on Without Me. I think at most it gets the Love Yourself treatment and loses all it’s noms. But right now I have it as pretty much filler on the GF. I think Sunflower and Thank U, Next are far bigger contenders.

About AOTY, I see GIRL as this year’s By The Way I Forgive You. They really like Maren.

I wonder if Halsey being arguably the most polarizing and disliked among her contemporaries could hurt Without Me’s chances. Who knows if the Recording Academy thinks the same way.

Profile picture
    AwardsBait3818
    Topics:

I agree on Without Me. I think at most it gets the Love Yourself treatment and loses all it’s noms. But right now I have it as pretty much filler on the GF. I think Sunflower and Thank U, Next are far bigger contenders.

About AOTY, I see GIRL as this year’s By The Way I Forgive You. They really like Maren.

GIRL isn’t considered anywhere as good as By The Way, I Forgive You, I seriously doubt it gets into Album of the Year. Honestly due to the quality of the album I think Maren is at risk of just getting into Country Solo Performance.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Brandi Carlile was an industry vet with a critically acclaimed album who had been overlooked by the Grammys for the majority of her career. Maren Morris is a relative newbie who has already gotten a ton of nominations, and her new album is neither a commercial blockbuster nor a critics’ darling. She could get the nomination, but the Carlile comparison is off.

And they’ve largely been passing over country in the general field in recent years. Only 6 of the 53 albums nominated this decade were country, and 3 of those had pop crossover hits.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

I think Anderson .Paak is someone to watch out for in AOTY. He won his first Grammy this year, and he has been on the radar for awhile now.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I think Anderson .Paak is someone to watch out for in AOTY. He won his first Grammy this year, and he has been on the radar for awhile now.

I think he’ll most likely be nominated. A surprise nomination for BNA followed by a surprise win a few years later definitely shows that, like you said, he’s on their radar. The question is, which of his two albums will get the nod?

Profile picture
    RichardAniston
    Topics:

I can’t see Anderson .Paak getting into AOTY. To get into AOTY, rap albums need a big commercial impact or massive critical acclaim, usually both. He barely won his Grammy in a tie. He’ll be relegated to the rap field if anything.

Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

He barely won his Grammy in a tie.

You’re saying this like he was the most likely to win. Less than 20 people predicted him to win on here.

The fact that he won over two #1 hits from Drake & Travis Scott and another hit from Cardi B shows rap voters clearly like him.

With this support from rap voters, and some from R&B voters, a Paak nom in AOTY doesn’t sound impossible.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

This is the perfect time for Rihanna to release her album. Taylor could even get her third AOTY win at this point if she made the deadline.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

He barely won his Grammy in a tie.

A tie with Grammy darling Kendrick Lamar. With just one more vote, he would have won over Kendrick. And he won over Cardi B and #1 hits by Drake and Travis Scott.

Not to mention, “Bubblin” was considered a filler nomination / committee pick, so the fact that it won (tie or otherwise) is significant.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

I can’t see Anderson .Paak getting into AOTY. To get into AOTY, rap albums need a big commercial impact or massive critical acclaim, usually both. He barely won his Grammy in a tie. He’ll be relegated to the rap field if anything.

He’s not exclusively “rap.” He blurs the lines just as much as Childish Gambino. He is already an early favorite for Rap/Sung, R&B Performance and Urban Contemporary.

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 948 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.