Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 948 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
M
Darren
  • JDM
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Ariana is the Queen of Pop at this moment, so Billie isn’t anywhere near her level yet. She could get there, of course.

Is it crack that you smoke… she is definitely not the queen… not even right now when she is dominating lmao!! Pop princess is the correct term at the moment!

Matt2019
    Participant
    Topics:

Possible SoTY nominees as it stands (leaving room for some new releases):

1. Lewis Capaladi – Someone You Loved (The A-Team of this year)

2. Sam Smith & Normani – Dancing With A Stranger

3. Billie Eillish – When The Party’s Over

4. Post Malone & Swae Lee – Sunflower

Ariana Grande should be the biggest snub in 2020 Grammys.

Matt2019
    Participant
    Topics:

This is turning out to be a really shitty year for music so far, but most of the time it gets better around May and June.

Hopefully that’s the case. I’m honestly not crazy about anything that’s dropped this year so far.

Watch out for TS7 lead single this April 26.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana Grande should be the biggest snub in 2020 Grammys.

She will be nominated elsewhere. I just don’t see her in SoTY, especially after they passed over NTLTC (which was a big hit, and was only blocked from N1 by Drake during his peak) and nominated smaller hits like In My Blood.

She could be nominated in RoTY/AoTY.

Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

Possible SoTY nominees as it stands (leaving room for some new releases):

1. Lewis Capaladi – Someone You Loved (The A-Team of this year)

2. Sam Smith & Normani – Dancing With A Stranger

3. Billie Eillish – When The Party’s Over

4. Post Malone & Swae Lee – Sunflower

Gonna venture out and say that none of these songs will be nominated for Song of the Year. (dancing with a stranger deserves tho)

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Gonna venture out and say that none of these songs will be nominated for Song of the Year. (dancing with a stranger deserves tho)

Well unless the second half of the year is full of bops, I don’t see who they’ll nominate instead.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

She will be nominated elsewhere. I just don’t see her in SoTY, especially after they passed over NTLTC (which was a big hit, and was only blocked from N1 by Drake during his peak) and nominated smaller hits like In My Blood.

She could be nominated in RoTY/AoTY.

Oddly I feel like she has a waaaay better shot at SOTY than ROTY. The song’s memorable thanks to its lyrics, and given the last few winners, I doubt lyrical-profoundness is a must. However, I feel like she can miss Record.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Oddly I feel like she has a waaaay better shot at SOTY than ROTY. The song’s memorable thanks to its lyrics, and given the last few winners, I doubt lyrical-profoundness is a must. However, I feel like she can miss Record.

The committee can be picky about SoTY. There’s a reason why huge hits like Humble and Rockstar missed SoTY despite being in RoTY. It’s mainly because of swearing/profanity. So I don’t really see TUN getting in either. At best it’ll be in RoTY. But who knows, we’ll see…

abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Not really buying the Lewis Capaldi hype, especially for a SOTY nom. That guy has absolutely no buzz in the US. BNA seems realistic, at most.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Not really buying the Lewis Capaldi hype, especially for a SOTY nom. That guy has absolutely no buzz in the US. BNA needs realistic, at most.

The song is #1 in the UK. The british vote will propel it to be heard by the committee. When it is, there’s a strong chance it’ll be nominated like they did with The Joke. The A-team wasn’t big in the U.S when it was nominated in a more competitive year in a 5 nominee line-up.

The committee needs to go for some surprise indie choices from time to time. I’m betting on Someone You Loved this year.

ScottyDog
    Participant
    Topics:

The new Beck song “Saw Lightning” from his new album “Hyperspace” is out now.

https://www.stereogum.com/2039851/beck-saw-lightning/music/

It was produced with Pharrell. It sounds like something that could be pretty mainstream and keep him on the Grammy radar.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

The committee can be picky about SoTY. There’s a reason why huge hits like Humble and Rockstar missed SoTY despite being in RoTY. It’s mainly because of swearing/profanity. So I don’t really see TUN getting in either. At best it’ll be in RoTY. But who knows, we’ll see…

F**k You (!!!)
    Love the Way You Lie
    All of the Lights
    Holocene
    Rolling in the Deep
    All About That Bass
    Alright
    Formation
    I Took a Pill in Ibiza
    4:44
    Issues
    1-800-273-8255
    All the Stars
    God’s Plan
    This Is America

were all nominated for SOTY this decade and have profanity in their lyrics. Two of those songs went on to win. That’s not the reason.

JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

What a dry land…
    There’s four big names that are rumoured to release an album this cycle: Beyonce, Kendrick, Rihanna and the already confirmed Taylor Swift.
    It is an interesting set but everybody taking so long to drop.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

There are tons of UK #1s that don’t get acknowledged by the Grammys. I agree with those saying this Lewis Capaldi person (who I’ve never even heard of until just now) needs more buzz in the US before he can be taken seriously as a SOTY contender.

“The A Team,” which was actually charting in the US prior to being nominated (it was already a top 40 hit on the Hot 100), is also a song about drug addiction and prostitution. They like songs like that, that stand out from the rest of what gets played on the radio. “Someone You Loved” is just another run of the mill breakup ballad. Could it get nominated? Sure, but I think it’s very doubtful, at least without it having an impact in the States.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

F*ck You was largely played/known as “Forget You” as played in the radios (which is probably what the committee reviewed). In most if not all of the songs, the use of profanity isn’t prominent it’s just some word somewhere (like shit etc..), sometimes to convey a socio-political statement like in This Is America.

Generally speaking, profanity-heavy songs tend to under-perform in SoTY especially when there isn’t an important social message that outweighs it. There’s nothing socially-aware about singing “i’m so fucking grateful for my ex” over and over again lol.

If not for profanity, why Humble was left out for example against all odds?

Not saying I agree with them. But they tend to leave out songs because of profanity sometimes unless the use of profanity is outweighed by a much more important social message.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by  M.
Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 948 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.