Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 977 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +32 hidden )
replies
views
users
Oz
M
DC95
  • abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Not really buying the Lewis Capaldi hype, especially for a SOTY nom. That guy has absolutely no buzz in the US. BNA seems realistic, at most.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Not really buying the Lewis Capaldi hype, especially for a SOTY nom. That guy has absolutely no buzz in the US. BNA needs realistic, at most.

The song is #1 in the UK. The british vote will propel it to be heard by the committee. When it is, there’s a strong chance it’ll be nominated like they did with The Joke. The A-team wasn’t big in the U.S when it was nominated in a more competitive year in a 5 nominee line-up.

The committee needs to go for some surprise indie choices from time to time. I’m betting on Someone You Loved this year.

ScottyDog
    Participant
    Topics:

The new Beck song “Saw Lightning” from his new album “Hyperspace” is out now.

https://www.stereogum.com/2039851/beck-saw-lightning/music/

It was produced with Pharrell. It sounds like something that could be pretty mainstream and keep him on the Grammy radar.

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

The committee can be picky about SoTY. There’s a reason why huge hits like Humble and Rockstar missed SoTY despite being in RoTY. It’s mainly because of swearing/profanity. So I don’t really see TUN getting in either. At best it’ll be in RoTY. But who knows, we’ll see…

F**k You (!!!)
    Love the Way You Lie
    All of the Lights
    Holocene
    Rolling in the Deep
    All About That Bass
    Alright
    Formation
    I Took a Pill in Ibiza
    4:44
    Issues
    1-800-273-8255
    All the Stars
    God’s Plan
    This Is America

were all nominated for SOTY this decade and have profanity in their lyrics. Two of those songs went on to win. That’s not the reason.

JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

What a dry land…
    There’s four big names that are rumoured to release an album this cycle: Beyonce, Kendrick, Rihanna and the already confirmed Taylor Swift.
    It is an interesting set but everybody taking so long to drop.

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

There are tons of UK #1s that don’t get acknowledged by the Grammys. I agree with those saying this Lewis Capaldi person (who I’ve never even heard of until just now) needs more buzz in the US before he can be taken seriously as a SOTY contender.

“The A Team,” which was actually charting in the US prior to being nominated (it was already a top 40 hit on the Hot 100), is also a song about drug addiction and prostitution. They like songs like that, that stand out from the rest of what gets played on the radio. “Someone You Loved” is just another run of the mill breakup ballad. Could it get nominated? Sure, but I think it’s very doubtful, at least without it having an impact in the States.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

F*ck You was largely played/known as “Forget You” as played in the radios (which is probably what the committee reviewed). In most if not all of the songs, the use of profanity isn’t prominent it’s just some word somewhere (like shit etc..), sometimes to convey a socio-political statement like in This Is America.

Generally speaking, profanity-heavy songs tend to under-perform in SoTY especially when there isn’t an important social message that outweighs it. There’s nothing socially-aware about singing “i’m so fucking grateful for my ex” over and over again lol.

If not for profanity, why Humble was left out for example against all odds?

Not saying I agree with them. But they tend to leave out songs because of profanity sometimes unless the use of profanity is outweighed by a much more important social message.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  M.
    Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

Humble wasn’t left out for profanity, it was left out because there were better written songs. It wasn’t “against all odds”. Plus, they seem to only nominated hip hop in SOTY when the songs are politically charged ot at least are those hip-hop/pop crossovers that were popular back in the day.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Humble wasn’t left out for profanity, it was left out because there were better written songs. It wasn’t “against all odds”. Plus, they seem to only nominated hip hop in SOTY when the songs are politically charged ot at least are those hip-hop/pop crossovers that were popular back in the day.

And why do you think hip-hop is less nominated? Are you implying hip-hop artits aren’t as good at songwriting?

I think it’s mainly because hip-hop tends to use more profanity. It’s not about quality/skills.

But anyway, moving on… We’ll see.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Also on a sidenote, yes Humble was heavily predicted to be in SoTY:

https://www.goldderby.com/odds/combined-odds/grammy-nominations-2018/

Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

And why do you think hip-hop is less nominated? Are you implying hip-hop artits aren’t as good at songwriting?

I think it’s mainly because hip-hop tends to use more profanity. It’s not about quality/skills.

But anyway, moving on… We’ll see.

No, I’m implying old Grammy voters don’t like/care about hip-hop. This is not a new conversation. Why do you think Kendrick has lost so much on the GF?

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

If not for profanity, why Humble was left out for example against all odds?

The same reason Rockstar, I Like It, etc. weren’t nominated – they’re not message-driven lyrical showpieces. More than any other genre, the committee seems to expect rap songs to be socially conscious or otherwise thought-provoking. Humble wasn’t that.

Also on a sidenote, yes Humble was heavily predicted to be in SoTY:

https://www.goldderby.com/odds/combined-odds/grammy-nominations-2018/

All you’re proving is that the majority of GoldDerby users were wrong. Nothing is ever guaranteed to be nominated no matter how widely it’s predicted (case in point: “Shape of You”). The Grammys frequently zig when we zag. It happens all the time.

For what it’s worth, I correctly predicted it would not be nominated for SOTY.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

The same reason Rockstar, I Like It, etc. weren’t nominated – they’re not message-driven lyrical showpieces. More than any other genre, the committee seems to expect rap songs to be socially conscious or otherwise thought-provoking. Humble wasn’t that.

Honestly, not sure how God’s Plan and All The Stars are somehow message-driven lyrical showpieces? If anything Humble sounds more thought-provoking than God’s Plan.

But anyway…

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly, not sure how God’s Plan and All The Stars are somehow message-driven lyrical showpieces? If anything Humble sounds more thought-provoking than God’s Plan.

But anyway…

My point was that they TYPICALLY, not exclusively, pick message rap songs for SOTY. Why are you like this?

And the video for “God’s Plan,” which shows Drake giving away a million dollars largely to people in lower-income communities, could have been a factor.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

God’s Plan was probably the most successful song of last year, they weren’t going to deny giving a nod to Drake, who they had never recognized in the GF categories for his singles. All the Stars was a part of a cultural smash that was Black Panther along with the namecheck of Kendrick Lamar. Not that hard to figure out. This is all moot because M is trying to prove that Thank U Next will not make it into SOTY because he’s pressed about Ariana as per usual. It’s not even a fucking rap song so WHERE is the correlation?

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 977 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.