Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 980 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
20 hours ago
( +38 hidden )
replies
views
users
dOminiK13_
M
Os
  • alex00g2
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m glad people are finally recognising Old Town Road as a potential nominee and with each week at #1 it is looking more likely.

Lil Nas X’s anthem, “Old Town Road” is on pace to be the #1 song in the country for the seventh week in a row. This week, Nas’ track will fend off a debut from a power collab, Ed Sheeran f/Justin Bieber’s I Don’t Care.” The week before it was a new Shawn Mendes single, and at the end of April is held its own against the queen of debut releases, Taylor Swift.

The most recent prior example of a song becoming an undeniable cultural movement is 2017’s “Despacito (Remix).”

Per the updated YTD Top 5 songs [link below], “Old Town Road” has now surpassed Ariana Grande’s “7 rings” as the biggest song of 2019 so far.

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=316423

I’m not sure where the Billy Rae version of the biggest song of 2019 so far will end up. I could see them submitting it to Country, but it might end up in Pop Duo/Group and maybe ROTY. There is also the original version (rap sung?) and the Diplo remix might make it into Best Remixed Recording.

Lil Nas X has been teasing snippets of another song “Panini”, so by the time nominations voting gets under way, he might no longer be a one hit wonder.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 3 hours ago by  alex00g2.
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I really don’t know how the committee will react to Old Town Road.

They may really ignore chart positions this year because of it. Generally they tend to nominate songs that have compelling success (Despacito, God’s Plan etc..) but this year they may not do that.

ScottyDog
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, like I said, nominations are very likely now that it’s proven to be a blockbuster of a song and should continue throughout the summer with the release of what looks like a solid video coming on Friday. I could see ROTY, BNA (if he has a follow-up hit), Rap/Sung or Country Duo/Group or Pop Duo/Group, Remixed Recording for Diplo and Music Video (if the still is any indication it’ll be well shot and has some Tarantino vibes). Winning is a whole other situation though, the buzz will definitely die off by next year, but it’s hard to ignore that people love this song and it’s not just a joke or viral song. It’s an actual hit.

Old Town Road won’t win any Grammys this January. Period.

ScottyDog
    Participant
    Topics:

Mavis Staples has a new album this month that will definitely be an Americana contender. She could go the way of John Prine and just stay in the field categories, but could have potential to cross over to AOTY if it’s as well received as it’s buzzed to be. It started a preview streaming online today. She’s definitely more accepted with a younger audience than most aging Americana singers. She still does the festival circuit.

WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

I think as the quality the music continues to dip on the Billboard charts, the chart itself will begin playing less of a factor for the Grammys (though does it even matter to begin with?)

I just can’t image the Academy taking Old Town Road seriously. Maybe BNA for Lil Nas, or a Rap/Sung nom, but NOTHING else.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

I think as the quality the music continues to dip on the Billboard charts, the chart itself will begin playing less of a factor for the Grammys (though does it even matter to begin with?)

I just can’t image the Academy taking Old Town Road seriously. Maybe BNA for Lil Nas, or a Rap/Sung nom, but NOTHING else.

Some of us didn’t think that for Post Malone either but it happened.

dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

A Star Is Born OST / US SPS

Units: 2.100,000

Pure Sales: 1,069,000

It’s currently the best selling album in US this year with a total of 365,000 pure sales!

24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

Lil Nas X featuring Billy Ray Cyrus – “Old Town Road” is now a safe bet for 2 Grammy nominations:

Record of the Year

Pop Duo/Group or Collaboration

If his label chooses to submit the song to the Rap Field it stands a chance of being nominated for Rap/Sung Collaboration and Rap Song, however, the judging panel in Rap might not go for it, where as the song would easily get nominated in Pop due to that category being based on a popular vote.

The song itself might score a Best Remixed Recording nomination as well (which would only go to Diplo).

Lil Nas X could get in Best New Artist … depending on the release of his debut album. With the exception of Julia Michaels, the Grammys don’t like to nominate artists without an album.

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m really not sold on it getting a nomination in any category, let alone Record of the Year. The committee is in place in part to prevent decisions that will look embarrassing in a few years’ time, hence them not nominating things like the Macarena, Gangnam Style, or Harlem Shake.

Old Town Road is not going to stand the test of time. It’s a hit for this moment in time right now and that’s about all it is.

Os
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like OTR feels bigger than most (if not all) viral hits we’ve had so far. I don’t have it in Record but I do think it can get into Pop since that’s based on popular vote.

Pop Solo Performance
    1. thank u, next by Ariana Grande
    2. Without Me by Halsey
    3. bad guy by Billie Eilish
    4. If I Can’t Have You by Shawn Mendes
    5. Walk Me Home by P!nk

Pop Duo/Group Performance
    1. Sucker by Jonas Brothers
    2. Sunflower by Post Malone & Swae Lee
    3. Dancing with a Stranger by Sam Smith & Normani
    4. ME! by Taylor Swift featuring Brendon Urie
    5. Old Town Road by Lil Nas X featuring Billy Ray Cyrus
    6. Con Calma by Daddy Yankee, Katy Perry, Snow

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Gangnam Style was considerably more popular and didn’t get nominated.

Even if it gets slotted in pop (rap seems more likely), I don’t see it getting the nomination. I don’t think enough voters will actually take it seriously enough to recognize it as one of the best songs of the year.

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

If Billboard removed it from country charts, I doubt they’d allow it in rap category.

What is the logic here lol

M
    Participant
    Topics:

What is the logic here lol

lol I was about to edit, I meant to write country not rap

Marlon Gonzalez
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope Ava Max submits her self into the BNA category the following year (2021) not 2020. Billie Eilish is kind of a lock/frontrunner for the BNA this year and if Ava waited one more year she would win. Just like how Meghan Trainor, Alessia Cara & Dua Lipa did once their names became more mainstream over the years. Just Sayin, If artists are going to release material by the last month of submission they should wait until the following month once the deadline is over just in case their material begins to build momentum the following year. Camila Cabello and Dua Lipa did the mistake of Submitting “Havana” and “New Rules” into the 2018 ceremony when they should have waited a month to release their projects to submit it into the 2019 ceremony. I think that’s what Taylor Swift is doing, I’m sure she’ll release her album by the following month once the Grammy deadline is over so her album would be eligible for the 2021 ceremony. Smart. If you notice, Most of the AOTY nominees these past years have been released sometime in between Late Oct- Early April. Very rarely in May or in the summer.

Gucci
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, the Grammys are very commercial now.  With 8 slots in a shitty year, “Old Town Road” will likely get a Record of the Year nomination a la “Despacito.”

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 980 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.