Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 922 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
dOminiK13_
M
Boz
  • cL94
    Participant
    Topics:

stop Ariana is not winning AOTY with TUN

We’ve established this now let’s talk about someone else, please!

I’m looking towards seeing how Lizzo fairs come nomination day. I can see her getting a couple nods for Juice, one for Truth Hurts and maybe Urban Contemporary and AOTY nods for her album.

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana and Gaga are not winning AOTY. Ariana losing wouldn’t be because of them thinking it’s bad, it would be because not enough voters would take her seriously enough to actually give her a win.

It’s not fair, but your right. It’s kind of a miracle how popstars like Adele and Taylor Swift have won AOTY this decade.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

If eligible, where will Truth Hurts fit?

Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

Jamila Woods look like a safe/sure bet for Best New Artist.

Participant
    Topics:

If Nightmare becomes a huge hit, which categories should it be submitted in?

Blanche
    Participant
    Topics:

Quality is subjective, but it’s worth noting that what Ariana DOES have is a higher Metacritic score than most AOTY winners.

I agree that she’s most likely not winning AOTY unless they stack the category for her to do so, but quality or lack thereof isn’t the reason. It will be due to factors such as her fan base skewing young while Grammy voters tend to be older, Grammy voters generally not taking frilly pop stars like her seriously, etc.

Releasing an album with the same sound every album has right now is far from quality.Otherwise we would have a very competitive year, but we don’t.

Brayfers
    Participant
    Topics:

If Nightmare becomes a huge hit, which categories should it be submitted in?

could it compete in rock song?

Blanche
    Participant
    Topics:

Halsey could release Welcome To The Jungle and she’d still be nominated at pop.

Participant
    Topics:

It could. I mean, Without Me will likely be her main submission for the pop categories.

Matt2019
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope so too A star is born is forgotten and homecoming flopped (live album anyway) if a main pop girl is winning Album of the year this year it’s Ariana

Nope, Ariana is not winning AOTY. It might reward AOTY to albums that are 70-79 metacritic score.

isaiahbravo
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s still a solid three months of the eligibility period so let’s hope that someone drops something surprising

Jaredm1
    Participant
    Topics:

Call me crazy but I can see Nightmare being nominated in SOTY. It’s lyrics are actually very poetic and well written when you read them and all the meanings they have. It’s basically This is America, but for female empowerment. I can see the music video getting a nomination as well, just like This is America did. Thoughts?

Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Caution has a really good chance at nabbing three or four nominations in the R&B Categories at the 2020 Grammys. It’s unlike anything that’s currently being released in the mainstream R&B music sphere (think of songs like ‘GTFO’ which heavily incorporates EDM into its music, and ‘Giving Me Life’ which is the perfect fusion of psychedelia with a hip-hop beat). It was critically acclaimed and did relatively well commercially for an R&B album (it was one of the best-selling R&B releases in terms of pure sales in 2018).

My thoughts on what she has a good chance of getting nominated for:

Best R&B AlbumCaution (I think she has a pretty good chance at winning this award too, seeing as though the credibility of the Grammys has fallen in recent years, and since Mariah was notoriously snubbed back in 1996 and 2006, it would be a chance to correct their mistakes).

Best Urban Contemporary Album – Caution (The album is quite experimental in terms of the current standard of R&B music and incorporates genres like Trap, EDM and psychedelic rock into its music – I do think Mariah has a better chance at winning Best R&B album because the cohesiveness of Caution as an album is based on its fundamental roots in traditional R&B)

Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical (possibly a reach)– Caution (whether or not you’re a fan of Mariah’s music, you have to admit that the range and quality of sounds covered in the album’s production are simply stunning – Mariah is listed as the lead producer on all the tracks! I’m not so sure on this one though)

Best Traditional R&B Performance – ‘With You’ (It is without a doubt one of the best R&B ballads to have been released in a long while, even by Mariah herself)

Best R&B Song – ‘GTFO’ / ‘A No No’ (I’m not so sure about this award – on the one hand, GTFO has been listed on year-end lists as one of the best R&B songs of 2018, though on the other, actual reviewers of the album itself listed ‘A No No’ as the standout track)

However in terms of general awards like ‘Album of the Year‘, I don’t know. Whilst it was universally acclaimed by critics, it didn’t have as much commercial impact as other mainstream artists have been having (though Kacey Musgraves won for ‘Golden Hour’ with fewer sales at the time than Caution has done so far, so maybe Mariah could be the dark horse in the race after all…). Seeing as though the Grammys have lost a lot of their credibility in recent years, nominating and rewarding Mariah (an artist they have notoriously snubbed both in 1996 and 2006) could be seen as a step forward and do wonders for their public image.

On another note, I wonder if they’ll ever induct Mariah Carey’s album, ‘Merry Christmas’, into the Grammy Hall of Fame – it’s only just become eligible for induction and is probably the only modern album to have entered the Xmas Canon (with ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ being the only modern-day Xmas classic). That’s a monumental achievement seeing as though legends before her like Stevie Wonder had released Xmas albums to no success or lasting impact. Mariah basically reinvented Christmas Music into a commercially relevant and forward-thinking genre of the industry (artists since AIWFCIY making ‘new’ Christmas songs and albums as opposed to simply covering the classics – see every other Christmas album released since 1994).

Either way, I think there’s been some really great releases in Music from late 2018-now.

Participant
    Topics:

Call me crazy but I can see Nightmare being nominated in SOTY. It’s lyrics are actually very poetic and well written when you read them and all the meanings they have. It’s basically This is America, but for female empowerment. I can see the music video getting a nomination as well, just like This is America did. Thoughts?

I feel like Without Me is the safer bet in the GF, but anything can happen. I guess it depends on how big of a song Nightmare becomes.

Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel as though Thank U, Next (the song) has a pretty good chance at Song of the Year. A lot of critics adored it and it has an empowering message on self-love…

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 922 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.