Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 922 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
dOminiK13_
M
Boz
  • Arianator
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel as though Thank U, Next (the song) has a pretty good chance at Song of the Year. A lot of critics adored it and it has an empowering message on self-love…

This website is anti-ariana, they’ll always say she can’t win regardless

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone is “anti-Ariana”. We’re just saying facts. Popstars don’t do well in the GF. The older voters probably think that they are manufactured and don’t take them seriously.

Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Ariana at least deserves a nomination for Album of the Year and a win in one or two of the pop categories – TUN is her most critically acclaimed project to date.

What are your thoughts on the likelihood of Caution getting nominated in the R&B categories and for Album of the Year (IMO she’s more likely to get nominated and win one or two awards in the R&B Category as opposed to AOTY – she may be the dark horse after all but its unlikely seeing as though the Grammys have snubbed her for basically her entire career)

Arianator
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone is “anti-Ariana”. We’re just saying facts. Popstars don’t do well in the GF. The older voters probably think that they are manufactured and don’t take them seriously.

if voters didnt like pop Taylor swift wouldn’t have won and even kacey musgraves album last year was kinda pop

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Album of the Year nominations are usually structured around a similair format:

1. The sales titan which also had a warm, though relatively unremarkeable critical reception (e.g T. Swift’s ‘1989’, Drake’s ‘Scorpion’)

2. The critical and commercial smash debut album / an album by a younger artist (e.g. Lorde’s Melodrama, Cardi B’s ‘Invasion of Privacy’)

3. The critically acclaimed album from a music veteran / legend (e.g. 4;44 by Jay Z, ‘By the Way, I Forgive You’ by Brandi Carlile)

4. The experimental critical success (e.g. Janelle Monae’s Dirty Computer, Childish Gambino’s ‘Awaken my Love’)

5. The unexpected critical sucess (e.g. Kacey Musgraves’ ‘Golden Hour’, H.E.R by H.E.R)

6. The country / indie rock release

Based on the typical format of AOTY, here are my predictions for each nomination (each album corresponds with the number of their designated category)

1. Thank U, NextAriana Grande

2. When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? – Billie Eilish 

3. CautionMariah Carey

4. When I Get HomeSolange 

5. VenturaAnderson.Paak

6. Father of the BrideVampire Weekend 

Typically, either the ‘sales titan’ (1.) or ‘indie rock/country release’ (6.) win. Personally, I’d love it if either Mariah or Solange were nominated and won, but the Grammys never usually give AOTY to the more urban-sounding records…

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Caution is not happening. Wtf? It is in no way comparable to Golden Hour. That album had better reviews and had the strong support of the country voters that propelled it to a win. Caution won’t have anything of that for even a nomination.

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Caution is not happening. Wtf? It is in no way comparable to Golden Hour. That album had better reviews and had the strong support of the country voters that propelled it to a win. Caution won’t have anything of that for even a nomination.

They always nominate one veteran artist/ legend a year for AOTY (Jay Z in 2018, Brandi Carlile this year). Mariah’s been getting Lifetime Achievement Awards by the likes of the BBMAs so it isn’t out of the question, and she’s the only veteran artist who’s put out an acclaimed body of work in the past year thus far.

I’d argue that the reviews for ‘Caution’ have been comparable to ‘Golden Hour’ – Paper Magazine hailed it the Best Album of 2018 and a lot of its reviews haven’t been factored into its Metacritic score (if you read the reviews for ‘Caution’ in publications like The Atlantic and even Billboard, you’d see that it’s score doesn’t do justice to the widespread acclaim its received).

If Mariah isn’t nominated for AOTY, she’ll certainly receive a few nominations in the R&B categories, which seem to be less formulaic and unexpected…

Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

Caution won’t have anything of that for even a nomination.

I think ‘Caution’ getting nominated for AOTY would be a stretch, but not impossible. Mariah tends to bring the ratings with her when she’s nominated for awards so she may just inch herself into a nomination. It’s more likely she’ll get nominated and even win some awards in the R&B Category

Blanche
    Participant
    Topics:

After Xtina getting two nominations for Liberation last year, I think everything is possible.

cL94
    Participant
    Topics:

I had completely looked over Mariah in the awards race. She could actually get into all of the R&B categories and possibly AOTY (put her chances there seem slim)

Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

I had completely looked over Mariah in the awards race. She could actually get into all of the R&B categories and possibly AOTY (put her chances there seem slim)

I completely agree. It’s such a shame her chances for AOTY are so slim because she sang, wrote and produced all the material on the album and its one of the most innovative R&B records we’ve seen in a while. Let’s hope they show her love in that category at least…

isaiahbravo
    Participant
    Topics:

if voters didnt like pop Taylor swift wouldn’t have won and even kacey musgraves album last year was kinda pop

Kacey Musgraves was Country.

Arianator
    Participant
    Topics:

Kacey Musgraves was Country.

you’re not convincing me that Ariana isn’t winning she’s not 100% winning but she’s the most likely when I see a more likely choice i’ll change my mind

but i’m not going to give in like you because this website hates Ariana

Arianator
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana beat Taylor swift last year and Taylor swift is two times album of the year winner so why can’t she win?
    the only person that can stop her is Gaga because she won over god is a woman last year but asib isn’t going to be nominated, if it does i’ll change my mind and admit she won’t win but until then i dont see who can stop her from winning, billie eillish? solange? vampire weekend? no

isaiahbravo
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana beat Taylor swift last year and Taylor swift is two times album of the year winner so why can’t she win? the only person that can stop her is Gaga because she won over god is a woman last year but asib isn’t going to be nominated, if it does i’ll change my mind and admit she won’t win but until then i dont see who can stop her from winning, billie eillish? solange? vampire weekend? no

Easy there. You’re gettin a bit too brave. There’s still 3 more months in the eligibility period. Anyone can drop anything.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  isaiahbravo.
    • This reply was modified 5 months ago by  isaiahbravo.
Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 922 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.