Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 976 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
dOminiK13_
M
Oz
  • DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

DJ Khaled, John Legend, and Nipsey Hussle’s “Higher” is a likely nominee for Best Rap/Sung Performance and possibly a GF contender.

ScottyDog
    Participant
    Topics:

Big day for new music…

Tyler, the Creator’s new one is fantastic and has a lot of buzz. It hit number 1 on Apple Music, outpacing DJ Khaled.

With that… DJ Khaled has a few tracks on that album that could contenders, the SZA one and the Nipsey/John Legend ones in particular. The video for the SZA track is also pretty epic.

Halsey’s new song and video will keep her relevant throughout the summer and maybe lead to a full album before the season runs out.

The National’s reviews are good enough for Alternative Album nomination, but I think it’s Vampire Weekend’s to win and they’ll have the AOTY alternative / rock push

Carly Rae’s reviews are really good, but the album won’t have the commercial success needed to get into the Grammy’s and the reviews aren’t CRAZY good to push her like Lorde, Kacey or Janelle.

Megan Thee Stallion is a major BNA contender and could get into some rap categories.

Chance the Rapper’s new song… meh.

Lewis Capaldi… not enough buzz to breakthrough.

Maluma… a really fun latin summer album.

The Black Keys, Madonna and Bruce Springsteen all released album tracks, but none are really going to push them into commercial success yet. Their albums need to get great reviews or sell well to make an impact with the Grammys.

Rammstein… not my thing, but maybe big enough to get some Rock field love.

Old Town Road video solidifies it as a contender in a few categories and should keep it at number one for a few more weeks.

I Don’t Care’s video… meh.

queenb
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s safe and generic pop music, and one of the few “Grammy-friendly” songs that is an actual hit with momentum.

So like Maroon 5?

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

The Jonas Brothers should be safe for a Pop Duo/Group nomination but ROTY seems extremely doubtful. It’s not a particularly good song (not to say it’s bad), not a particularly original song, and it’s debatable if it will be remembered in a few years’ time.

Chubby706
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes. Things are finally getting interesting with all these high profile releases now. Can’t wait for the Lion Ling Soundtrack to come too

M
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s not a particularly good song (not to say it’s bad), not a particularly original song, and it’s debatable if it will be remembered in a few years’ time.

I see that you discovered that people may actually factor-in the perceived quality of the song when making a prediction. So I hope you stop coming at me when I say that I think certain songs won’t win because they’re forgettable albeit popular/successful.

Gucci
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, “Sucker” is this year’s “Girls Like You.”  You girls thought “Girls Like You” would get nominated for ROTY/SOTY because it was a big hit.  “Sucker” is NOT happening in ROTY/SOTY.

cL94
    Participant
    Topics:

After hearing Tyler, Megan and Carly’s albums twice today I would say they have strong chances at being nominated.

Megan could contend for BNA, but I would wait to submit the following year where i’m sure her chances will be greater after she sees more success than she already is. Her mixtape/album could get in the Best Rap Album category, but i’ll see how it fairs in the coming months before banking on that. Big Ole Freak should get in for Best Rap Performance and Song and I would hope it does because it’s a really good song and it’s been steadily climbing the charts since it’s debut.

Carly is almost definitely a shoe-in for Best Pop Vocal Album and possibly Best Pop Solo, but i’m not sure what she would submit there.

Tyler is the frontrunner for Best Rap Album at the moment and could possibly take it. I haven’t heard a stronger contender thus far during this eligibility period so unless Kendrick or Eminem drops something (highly unlikely) then he’s got it.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  cL94.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  cL94.
    MiguelTwentyFive
    Participant
    Topics:

If Halsey’s new album is as good as those two songs, she’ll have Best Pop Album in the bag and Best Pop Solo for Without Me as well.

She definitely has the advantage of being fresher in the voters mind if she releases it later this year.

Halsey’s new album won’t be out until October.

MiguelTwentyFive
    Participant
    Topics:

Okay with that music video, Old Town Road officially became a RoTY contender.

Old Town Road would be completely ignored by the Grammy committee due that the song is probably a meme like Bazzi’s Mine.

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Really great music video from Halsey. As of right now, I could see her in SOTY & Pop Solo (Without Me), Rock Song (Nightmare), and BMV.

Nightmare definitely should be nominated for BMV. As for Rock Song, I would wait and see if it’s a massive hit on the Hot 100 chart and other charts to put it in the race.

RichardAniston
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Carly Rae Jepsen will be nominated. NARAS completely passed her over for her critically acclaimed album E•MO•TION. She didn’t even get a BNA nomination the year Call Me Maybewas released. NARAS is just not too hot on CRJ.

cL94
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Carly Rae Jepsen will be nominated. NARAS completely passed her over for her critically acclaimed album E•MO•TION. She didn’t even get a BNA nomination the year Call Me Maybewas released. NARAS is just not too hot on CRJ.

Emotion’s hot streak of a following didn’t come until after the submission/nomination period and i doubt anyone took her serious way back when CMM came out given that was her only hit at the time. She’s more than likely a sure bet to be nominated.

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Emotion’s hot streak of a following didn’t come until after the submission/nomination period and i doubt anyone took her serious way back when CMM came out given that was her only hit at the time. She’s more than likely a sure bet to be nominated.

Emotion had enough buzz/acclaim at the time of release that it could have gotten in Pop Album, especially considering it was a fairly weak year in terms of nominees. And she’s only continued to drop off in terms of popularity since that album.

She’s definitely not a “sure bet,” not when past general field winners like Lorde and Sam Smith have been shut out there recently.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

The critics are giving 80+ reviews too often this year, that it’s literally not going to make a difference whatsoever.

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 976 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.