Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 976 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
dOminiK13_
M
Oz
  • MiguelTwentyFive
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope so too A star is born is forgotten and homecoming flopped (live album anyway) if a main pop girl is winning Album of the year this year it’s Ariana

Nope, Ariana is not winning AOTY. It might reward AOTY to albums that are 70-79 metacritic score.

isaiahbravo
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s still a solid three months of the eligibility period so let’s hope that someone drops something surprising

Jaredm1
    Participant
    Topics:

Call me crazy but I can see Nightmare being nominated in SOTY. It’s lyrics are actually very poetic and well written when you read them and all the meanings they have. It’s basically This is America, but for female empowerment. I can see the music video getting a nomination as well, just like This is America did. Thoughts?

Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Caution has a really good chance at nabbing three or four nominations in the R&B Categories at the 2020 Grammys. It’s unlike anything that’s currently being released in the mainstream R&B music sphere (think of songs like ‘GTFO’ which heavily incorporates EDM into its music, and ‘Giving Me Life’ which is the perfect fusion of psychedelia with a hip-hop beat). It was critically acclaimed and did relatively well commercially for an R&B album (it was one of the best-selling R&B releases in terms of pure sales in 2018).

My thoughts on what she has a good chance of getting nominated for:

Best R&B AlbumCaution (I think she has a pretty good chance at winning this award too, seeing as though the credibility of the Grammys has fallen in recent years, and since Mariah was notoriously snubbed back in 1996 and 2006, it would be a chance to correct their mistakes).

Best Urban Contemporary Album – Caution (The album is quite experimental in terms of the current standard of R&B music and incorporates genres like Trap, EDM and psychedelic rock into its music – I do think Mariah has a better chance at winning Best R&B album because the cohesiveness of Caution as an album is based on its fundamental roots in traditional R&B)

Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical (possibly a reach)– Caution (whether or not you’re a fan of Mariah’s music, you have to admit that the range and quality of sounds covered in the album’s production are simply stunning – Mariah is listed as the lead producer on all the tracks! I’m not so sure on this one though)

Best Traditional R&B Performance – ‘With You’ (It is without a doubt one of the best R&B ballads to have been released in a long while, even by Mariah herself)

Best R&B Song – ‘GTFO’ / ‘A No No’ (I’m not so sure about this award – on the one hand, GTFO has been listed on year-end lists as one of the best R&B songs of 2018, though on the other, actual reviewers of the album itself listed ‘A No No’ as the standout track)

However in terms of general awards like ‘Album of the Year‘, I don’t know. Whilst it was universally acclaimed by critics, it didn’t have as much commercial impact as other mainstream artists have been having (though Kacey Musgraves won for ‘Golden Hour’ with fewer sales at the time than Caution has done so far, so maybe Mariah could be the dark horse in the race after all…). Seeing as though the Grammys have lost a lot of their credibility in recent years, nominating and rewarding Mariah (an artist they have notoriously snubbed both in 1996 and 2006) could be seen as a step forward and do wonders for their public image.

On another note, I wonder if they’ll ever induct Mariah Carey’s album, ‘Merry Christmas’, into the Grammy Hall of Fame – it’s only just become eligible for induction and is probably the only modern album to have entered the Xmas Canon (with ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ being the only modern-day Xmas classic). That’s a monumental achievement seeing as though legends before her like Stevie Wonder had released Xmas albums to no success or lasting impact. Mariah basically reinvented Christmas Music into a commercially relevant and forward-thinking genre of the industry (artists since AIWFCIY making ‘new’ Christmas songs and albums as opposed to simply covering the classics – see every other Christmas album released since 1994).

Either way, I think there’s been some really great releases in Music from late 2018-now.

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Call me crazy but I can see Nightmare being nominated in SOTY. It’s lyrics are actually very poetic and well written when you read them and all the meanings they have. It’s basically This is America, but for female empowerment. I can see the music video getting a nomination as well, just like This is America did. Thoughts?

I feel like Without Me is the safer bet in the GF, but anything can happen. I guess it depends on how big of a song Nightmare becomes.

Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel as though Thank U, Next (the song) has a pretty good chance at Song of the Year. A lot of critics adored it and it has an empowering message on self-love…

Arianator
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel as though Thank U, Next (the song) has a pretty good chance at Song of the Year. A lot of critics adored it and it has an empowering message on self-love…

This website is anti-ariana, they’ll always say she can’t win regardless

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone is “anti-Ariana”. We’re just saying facts. Popstars don’t do well in the GF. The older voters probably think that they are manufactured and don’t take them seriously.

Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Ariana at least deserves a nomination for Album of the Year and a win in one or two of the pop categories – TUN is her most critically acclaimed project to date.

What are your thoughts on the likelihood of Caution getting nominated in the R&B categories and for Album of the Year (IMO she’s more likely to get nominated and win one or two awards in the R&B Category as opposed to AOTY – she may be the dark horse after all but its unlikely seeing as though the Grammys have snubbed her for basically her entire career)

Arianator
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone is “anti-Ariana”. We’re just saying facts. Popstars don’t do well in the GF. The older voters probably think that they are manufactured and don’t take them seriously.

if voters didnt like pop Taylor swift wouldn’t have won and even kacey musgraves album last year was kinda pop

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Album of the Year nominations are usually structured around a similair format:

1. The sales titan which also had a warm, though relatively unremarkeable critical reception (e.g T. Swift’s ‘1989’, Drake’s ‘Scorpion’)

2. The critical and commercial smash debut album / an album by a younger artist (e.g. Lorde’s Melodrama, Cardi B’s ‘Invasion of Privacy’)

3. The critically acclaimed album from a music veteran / legend (e.g. 4;44 by Jay Z, ‘By the Way, I Forgive You’ by Brandi Carlile)

4. The experimental critical success (e.g. Janelle Monae’s Dirty Computer, Childish Gambino’s ‘Awaken my Love’)

5. The unexpected critical sucess (e.g. Kacey Musgraves’ ‘Golden Hour’, H.E.R by H.E.R)

6. The country / indie rock release

Based on the typical format of AOTY, here are my predictions for each nomination (each album corresponds with the number of their designated category)

1. Thank U, NextAriana Grande

2. When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? – Billie Eilish 

3. CautionMariah Carey

4. When I Get HomeSolange 

5. VenturaAnderson.Paak

6. Father of the BrideVampire Weekend 

Typically, either the ‘sales titan’ (1.) or ‘indie rock/country release’ (6.) win. Personally, I’d love it if either Mariah or Solange were nominated and won, but the Grammys never usually give AOTY to the more urban-sounding records…

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  cheyenne lee.
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Caution is not happening. Wtf? It is in no way comparable to Golden Hour. That album had better reviews and had the strong support of the country voters that propelled it to a win. Caution won’t have anything of that for even a nomination.

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Caution is not happening. Wtf? It is in no way comparable to Golden Hour. That album had better reviews and had the strong support of the country voters that propelled it to a win. Caution won’t have anything of that for even a nomination.

They always nominate one veteran artist/ legend a year for AOTY (Jay Z in 2018, Brandi Carlile this year). Mariah’s been getting Lifetime Achievement Awards by the likes of the BBMAs so it isn’t out of the question, and she’s the only veteran artist who’s put out an acclaimed body of work in the past year thus far.

I’d argue that the reviews for ‘Caution’ have been comparable to ‘Golden Hour’ – Paper Magazine hailed it the Best Album of 2018 and a lot of its reviews haven’t been factored into its Metacritic score (if you read the reviews for ‘Caution’ in publications like The Atlantic and even Billboard, you’d see that it’s score doesn’t do justice to the widespread acclaim its received).

If Mariah isn’t nominated for AOTY, she’ll certainly receive a few nominations in the R&B categories, which seem to be less formulaic and unexpected…

Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

Caution won’t have anything of that for even a nomination.

I think ‘Caution’ getting nominated for AOTY would be a stretch, but not impossible. Mariah tends to bring the ratings with her when she’s nominated for awards so she may just inch herself into a nomination. It’s more likely she’ll get nominated and even win some awards in the R&B Category

Blanche
    Participant
    Topics:

After Xtina getting two nominations for Liberation last year, I think everything is possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 976 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.