Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 922 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
dOminiK13_
M
Boz
  • Jaredm1
    Participant
    Topics:

Camila is not happening anywhere. She has majorly lost her hype (every song since Never Be The Same has bombed) and she will forever be known as the Havana girl, even if she has other hits.

Majorly lost her hype because she hasn’t released an album in over a year and isn’t pushing any more singles… why would she have hype right now if she isn’t releasing at the moment?

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Delicate was not a hit. It peaked at #13. And I found that song very annoying. It’s very bland and monotonous. The entire chorus is sung on the same note.

Also Shake It Off received similar reviews to Me! The critics have never been fond of Taylor Swift anyway. I don’t think what they write about her matters to be honest.

I didn’t like Shake It Off either, but if it managed to get both RoTY and SoTY nods in a much more competitive year, I don’t see how Me! can’t in a much less competitive 8 nominee lineup, provided that the song is a hit.

Rolling Stone called her one of the greatest songwriters ever, so I wouldn’t say that critics never liked Taylor.

alex00g2
    Participant
    Topics:

Also Shake It Off received similar reviews to Me! The critics have never been fond of Taylor Swift anyway. I don’t think what they write about her matters to be honest.

1989 made it into the Top 15 of the aggregate critics year end list, so there must have been a number of critics that at least liked that Taylor Swift album.

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/list/summary/2014/

Quite a few Grammy winners in that list (and obviously there are exceptions too).

Of course, if ME! turns out to be a multi-week #1 for Taylor, we shouldn’t rule out a nomination for any huge selling single. It all could depend of what the other SOTY and ROTY options are.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  alex00g2.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  alex00g2.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  alex00g2.
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

shake it off collected the 4th most top 10 votes in the annual critics’ poll, critics loved her and were placing her in all kinds of lists even though their indie-oriented readers weren’t here for it (I remember when pitchfork put 2 songs from 1989 on their year-end list and bunch of their readers went nuts, fun times), then 2016 happened and it became more than just uncool to like her, while the more mainstream publications have gone way pass that phase they don’t have much influence over prestigious minded readers anymore, if cases like divide and reputation are anything to go by, pitchfork is a much more reliable predictor when it comes to which mainstream albums are gonna appeal to the committee, and given they compared me! to timberlake’s man of the woods phase, which they gave a 3.8/10, our girl tay tay’s gonna have to put some kate bush sounding shit (jake antonoff we’re counting on you) on the album to reverse that

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Divide and Reputation weren’t shut out because Pitchfork didn’t like them lol…

Divide was shut out to avoid another Adele-like sweep in a second year in a row.

Reputation was simply shut out because the committee doesn’t have to nominate Taylor anymore. She won twice. Even if her new album is successful, they’ll probably keep her out of AoTY. It won’t look good if she wins three times this fast.

BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

do you have trouble understanding the word “predictor”? I didn’t say pitchfork was the determining factor in their failure to get nominated, but they are a good indicator when it comes to whether the increasingly high-brow committee would favour an album

M
    Participant
    Topics:

do you have trouble understanding the word “predictor”? I didn’t say pitchfork was the determining factor in their failure to get nominated, but they are a good indicator when it comes to whether the increasingly high-brow committee would favour an album

“pitchfork is a much more reliable predictor when it comes to which mainstream albums are gonna appeal to the committee”

All I was saying is it wasn’t a matter of appeal especially in the case of Divide.

Liamsta
    Participant
    Topics:

Thoughts on Pinks new album? Will she be nominated? I’m a biased Pink fan, though I know she has to stop getting nominated one day. Besides, it would be nice to discuss an artist that isn’t Ariana grande or Taylor swift.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Liamsta.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Liamsta.
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

pink will probably still make it in but it’ll be such a boring choice, I’d rather see madonna pulling off a comeback or carly rae jepsen getting the nomination she should’ve had with emotion

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Delicate was not a hit. It peaked at #13.

Ummmm… it was definitely a big hit. Heavily fueled by radio, yes, but still a hit. And it’s #12* peak doesn’t negate that – it was one of the 25 biggest hits of last year.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

I guess in other terms by Taylor’s standards it wasn’t really a hit.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Delicate was absolutely more Grammy-friendly than Me! Stop the delusion.

Also they need to snub P!nk this year. She keeps releasing white-mom music and it’s getting tiring.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Me! broke Vevo record and was streamed over 10M times on its first day. Its first week sales will be huge too.

It did 7.9 M streams on its first day not 10 M.

EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Broken and Beautiful by Kelly Clarkson getting into Pop solo? Probably song written for visual media as well?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  EsOS.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  EsOS.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Thoughts on Pinks new album? Will she be nominated? I’m a biased Pink fan, though I know she has to stop getting nominated one day. Besides, it would be nice to discuss an artist that isn’t Ariana grande or Taylor swift.

P!NK is a default nominee. She’s always filler for the category. Being one of the most popular AC/Pop acts definitely helps. She’ll squeeze out maybe 1-2 nods and that’s it. The album is forgettable.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 922 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.