Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 4)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 959 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
DC95
M
Oz
  • Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s also an argument that Ariana Grande might be the biggest snub in the 62nd Grammys because the Grammys had big disrespect over her during the 61st Grammys for not letting her perform 7 rings. I mark my words. 7 rings is not going to be nominated in the GF if submitted because this song had lot of plagiarism accusations for copying Soulja Boy, Princess Nokia, seven Chainz. 7 rings looks worse like Look What You Made Me Do. So, Billie Eilish should be a Grammy darling in the 62nd Grammys this January 2020.

None of those arguments make much sense though. Ariana was actually praised for not performing, and voters weren’t upset with her; the producer was. It really wasn’t that big of a deal.

7 rings is also not even close to the disaster that was LWYMMD. Quality aside, 7 rings was actually a big, relatively stable hit, and it had decent reviews, and was from an acclaimed album. Plus, it wasn’t even her return to the media, like LWYMMD was to Taylor.

It also doesn’t make sense to say that her album is bad. That’s simply your opinion, and clearly critics and audiences disagree.

However, I do think winning last year hinders her shot just a bit. She already got her due, and this time she’ll have a legit contender in other categories (if she submits thank u next instead of the other singles). Voters might pass on her to give it to someone new; though that someone new is Billie Eilish, whose style isn’t typically liked by the Grammy’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

Not true though, I didn’t predict Shallow in RoTY unlike most members. However, I did predict Gaga to sweep in the GF which didn’t happen.

But the reason I predicted Joanne is because I just couldn’t see someone who’s that popular and prominent at the time losing to the likes of Camila Cabello. Regardless of how weak her submission may be, she was just bound to win regardless in that shitty lineup.

The Cabello argument is 100% true. I remember I said that (and I believe you did as well) Camila Cabello was going to be seen as a one hit wonder type more than an actual pop star, but there were too many posters opposing that idea.

Havana was never a lock to win. Camila Cabello is closer to Carly Rae Jepsen than someone like Adele.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

“Joanne” winning Pop Solo was a random win. The reason it won was because Gaga was riding the ASIB wave and the category was all over the place.

Which is why I wouldn’t call it a random win. Unexpected, sure, but like I said, a clear reason it happened.

To me, a random win is something like “Bubblin” that comes completely out of left field.

ReplyCopy URL
    Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

As for Mariah Carey. I can definitely see her getting into the General Field with Caution. I can honestly even see “The Distance” being a contender for “Song of the Year”.

I hope Mariah submits these:

AOTY – Caution
    SOTY/ROTY – The Distance
    Urban Contemporary Album – Caution
    Pop Solo Performance – With You
    Best R&B Performance – A No No
    Best R&B Song – The Distance

With her Grammy track record being so hit and miss if she gets ANY 2 of these it would be a solid comeback for her.

ReplyCopy URL
    OneAndOnlyMe.
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Visual Media Song Contenders:

• Speechless, Aladdin
    • Untitled, The Lion King
    • (A Song From) A Star is Born
    • Jenny of Oldstones, Game of Thrones
    • Untitled, Toy Story 4
    • Im Gonna Love Me Again, Rocketman
    • The Place Where Lost Things Go, Mary Poppins Returns
    • Sunflower, Spider-Verse
    • (A Song From), Game of Thrones Album
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I wasn’t convinced Camila would win based on the “#1 hits/big hits wins this category” defense because all of the previous lineups contained mostly big hits. She wasn’t in the same type of lineup. Name recognition or actual talent was always going to win. Camila is as lightweight as they come.

ReplyCopy URL
    woke
    Participant
    Topics:

None of those arguments make much sense though. Ariana was actually praised for not performing, and voters weren’t upset with her; the producer was. It really wasn’t that big of a deal. 

she came across as a spoiled bratty millennial. i wouldn’t be surprised if voters, especially older ones, felt the same despite the few blogs who praised her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bernardo Rojas
    Participant
    Topics:

As for Mariah Carey. I can definitely see her getting into the General Field with Caution. I can honestly even see “The Distance” being a contender for “Song of the Year”. I hope Mariah submits these: AOTY – Caution SOTY/ROTY – The Distance Urban Contemporary Album – Caution Pop Solo Performance – With You Best R&B Performance – A No No Best R&B Song – The Distance With her Grammy track record being so hit and miss if she gets ANY 2 of these it would be a solid comeback for her.

get real. Mariah is not being nominated anywhere besides the R&B categories

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Visual Media Song Contenders:

• Speechless, Aladdin
    • Untitled, The Lion King
    • (A Song From) A Star is Born
    • Jenny of Oldstones, Game of Thrones
    • Untitled, Toy Story 4
    • Im Gonna Love Me Again, Rocketman
    • The Place Where Lost Things Go, Mary Poppins Returns
    • Sunflower, Spider-Verse
    • (A Song From), Game of Thrones Album

also:

“Broken & Beautiful” (UglyDolls)
    “Girl in the Movies” (Dumplin’)
    “A Place Called Slaughter Race” (Ralph Breaks the Internet)
    “Revelation” (Boy Erased)
    “Swan Song” (Alita: Battle Angel)
    “When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings” (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)
    “Zero” (Ralph Breaks the Internet)

ReplyCopy URL
    Blanche
    Participant
    Topics:

A Star Is Born getting another best visual media song would be weird, specially in a year where Disney is releasing so many animated films.Has it ever happened before?

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

ASIB‘s situation (single eligible one year, whole album eligible the next) is uncommon in the category, possibly unprecedented. So history doesn’t help.

It could very easily pull it off, given what a phenomenon the film and album have been. Most of Disney’s musical lineup this year consists of remakes, where the classics will be outshining the original songs. (Worth noting: Beauty and the Beast was shut out of the category a few years ago.) Frozen 2 is the big one this year as far as original Disney songs go, and that will have to wait until the 2021 Grammys.

ReplyCopy URL
    dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

I would not be surprised if Gaga took both Pop Solo and Original Song by INLA / ARUTW

ReplyCopy URL
    Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m hoping Revelation can get a Visual Media nom like Mystery of Love did last year.

Also, I’m not buying Gaga winning Pop Solo again (which, should be a problem considering some of the Pop Vocal arguments). The movie hype is gone, and while the album is still doing well, I don’t see them picking her to win against legit contenders this time.

ReplyCopy URL
    dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

Gaga predilections:

ASIB – AOTY, Best Soundtrack.

INLA – Original Song, Pop Duo, ROTY.

ARUTW – Pop Solo, SOTY.

we can see victories in: AOTY, Best Soundtrack, Pop Solo and Original Song.

As for ROTI and SOTY, I believe she will be releasing a single before the deadline to try something stronger in the major categories than the promotional singles released a year.

ReplyCopy URL
    dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m hoping Revelation can get a Visual Media nom like Mystery of Love did last year. Also, I’m not buying Gaga winning Pop Solo again (which, should be a problem considering some of the Pop Vocal arguments). The movie hype is gone, and while the album is still doing well, I don’t see them picking her to win against legit contenders this time.

we do not have quality songs in solo pop until now, only hits that sold a lot. it will not surprise another Gaga victory here. anyway she’ll earn a nomination for the 3rd year in a row solo pop.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 959 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.