Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 5)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 531 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
50 years ago
( +20 hidden )
replies
views
users
Oz
M
Blanche
  • 24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

For the record, let’s all remember that sales don’t matter to Grammy voters. They never have been just about what’s popular. If they were, Beyonce would have an Album of the Year Grammy by now. Sometimes sales can help in terms of nominations, but ultimately voters vote for what they like and respect at the end of the day.

Speaking of Beyonce, I’m not sure if she can/will score a nomination in AOTY. It’s kind of a big opportunity to reward her for her whole body of work. If voters see it like that, she could get in and win by default. Or… voters could see it as a soundtrack to a music film and choose to ignore it. Could go either way. Solange doesn’t have the buzz she had for her last album… and no one really spoke about it after its first week of release. Might both Knowles sisters cancel each other out???

In terms of the Rock/Alternative contenders… are we underestimating them in general??? I ask, because this isn’t a genre I really listen to. I do know that there are a lot of previous Grammy nominees/winners in the mix this year:

The Black Keys (4 wins, 10 noms)
    Bruce Springsteen (20 wins, 50 noms!)
    The Lumineers (2 noms)
    Mumford & Sons (2 wins, 9 noms)
    twenty one pilots (1 Win, 3 noms)
    Hozier (1 nom)
    Beck (7 wins, 20 noms)
    Vampire Weekend (1 win, 2 noms)
    The 1975 (1 nom)

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m stuck at Thotiana by Blueface being #6 on that Billboard list of 2019’s best songs. I hate that song with a burning passion.

jowgbruno
    Participant
    Topics:

Speaking of Beyonce, I’m not sure if she can/will score a nomination in AOTY. It’s kind of a big opportunity to reward her for her whole body of work. If voters see it like that, she could get in and win by default. Or… voters could see it as a soundtrack to a music film and choose to ignore it 

Nah imagine giving the aoty to Beyonce with a ST full of covers that probably will not beat the original ones (Disney remakes it never surpass the original one) or a live album that will be forgotten very soon, when they had the chance to award Lemonade or the self-titled, would be too embarrassing and sound forced. And since EIL we know that they don’t feel this need to want to compensate Beyoncé or reward her as many imagine, if they wanted to reward the defeat of her last two solo releases EIL would’ve won, and this one was not even indicated on the GF.

Not to mention, if they have an ST that they probably will reward next year is going to be ASIB, by afar

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  jowgbruno.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  jowgbruno.
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Sara Bareilles getting back-to-back surprise AOTY nominations would be just a little too on the nose. And considering The Blessed Unrest missed Best Pop Vocal Album, it probably barely squeaked into the top 20 for AOTY that year. With no hit single like “Brave” to carry it, I would be shocked if Amidst the Chaos got nominated.

It’s also gone largely ignored by critics, so there’s really not any kind of buzz.

Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Sara Bareilles getting another AOTY nom I think was a bit too much atm. There hasn’t been a Sara Bareilles song that stood out like Brave on this new record, which in my opinion could hinder her a bit. I definitely wouldn’t rule her out, just it might be less unlikely.

Barnacles Bro

Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

In my opinion now, A Star is Born and Thank U, Next possibly both will get nominated. I mean if they don’t they don’t, but both fill the blockbuster vote that Cardi B, Post Malone and Drake filled last year. I don’t think both aren’t winning. I do think Billie Eilish is the one that could rise up than the two, possibly winning 2 awards in general field. Although currently have Ariana poised to win ROTY or SOTY for Thank U, Next or maybe Halsey with Without Me, but currently these are my predictions.

AOTY: WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?- Billie Eilish (2nd: either Ariana Grande’s Thank U, Next or A Star is Born Soundtrack)

ROTY: Thank U, Next- Ariana Grande (2nd: Sunflower- Post Malone feat. Swae Lee or Old Town Road Remix- Lil Nas X feat. Billie Ray Cyrus )

SOTY: Thank U, Next- Ariana Grande (2nd: Without Me- Halsey)

BNA: Billie Eilish (2nd: Lizzo or Maggie Roggers)

Barnacles Bro

Lone Pirate
    Participant
    Topics:

After seeing all of these lists of predictions and favorites, I now long for the Grammys to return to nominating obscure titles and artists. The popular or ubiquitous artists, albums and songs this year have largely sucked.

vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

196. A LEGENDARY CHRISTMAS – John Legend (126,000)

Traditional Pop Album Contedner there I think

jowgbruno
    Participant
    Topics:

In my opinion now, A Star is Born and Thank U, Next possibly both will get nominated. I mean if they don’t they don’t, but both fill the blockbuster vote that Cardi B, Post Malone and Drake filled last year.

Dude stop trying to force ASIB as a “popular” albun, specially comparing It to Post Malone or Drake. I know it’s kind your opinion but it’s Just too stupid say something like that

Participant
    Topics:

Dude stop trying to force ASIB as a “popular” albun, specially comparing It to Post Malone or Drake. I know it’s kind your opinion but it’s Just too stupid say something like that

Scorpion broke streaming records and has three #1 hits on it, so I don’t see how ASIB is a more popular album.

Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

BEST NEW ARTIST:

Billie Eilish
    Maggie Rogers
    Ben Platt
    Lizzo
    A Boogie With Da Hoodie
    Juice WRLD
    Lewis Capaldi

(I dont know anybody else eligible)

They should push back the general field to 5 nods apiece especially since we have 1 month less and its such a weak year.

jowgbruno
    Participant
    Topics:

Scorpion broke streaming records and has three #1 hits on it, so I don’t see how ASIB is a more popular album.

Well ASIB is the album that most sold among all the one’s talked on this thread, obviously it’s not a chart smash hit singles like Scorpion.

But That’s not the case, he’s trying to say that ASIB will only be nominated because it made good numbers, ignoring  the fact that it was loved by all the critics and won many awards, he even dared to compare it to a Post Malone work lol.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  jowgbruno.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  jowgbruno.
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder how many Grammy awards country music legend Tanya Tucker can be submitted for when her new album is released especially with it being produced by fellow singer Brandi Carlile. (smiles)

God bless you and my favorite and her circle of friends always!!!

Holly (a fan of Miss T since 1991)

Go here to check out my most favorite singer James Otto!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU81KIRZ_Q

Participant
    Topics:

Well ASIB is the album that most sold among all the one’s talked on this thread, obviously it’s not a chart smash hit singles like Scorpion.

But That’s not the case, he’s trying to say that ASIB will only be nominated because it made good numbers, ignoring the fact that it was loved by all the critics and won many awards, he even dared to compare it to a Post Malone work lol.

Yeah, it’s one thing to be a blockbuster, but an AOTY contender also needs critical acclaim in some cases. For example, Thank U, Next may be the best-selling album of the year this far, but you’d be hard-pressed to find many negative reviews of the album from respected publications.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, it’s one thing to be a blockbuster, but an AOTY contender also needs critical acclaim in some cases. For example, Thank U, Next may be the best-selling album of the year this far, but you’d be hard-pressed to find many negative reviews of the album from respected publications.

1. A Star Is Born is a blockbuster album. It’s the only album this grammy year that moved over 2M SPS. Do you realize that? The second best selling is TUN which is still far behind. For perspective, last year, Scorpion, Beerbongs & Bentleys and Reputation are the only albums that moved over 2M SPS. Notice that two of them got nominated, except Taylor’s because it was an underperformance by her standards.

2. The “critical acclaim” argument cant be really used against ASIB lol. The movie had 87MC (most included music in their reviews), and even the few who reviewed the soundtrack seperately gave it very favorable reviews.

3. Not only ASIB is acclaimed by “publications”, but more importantly, it is acclaimed by its industry peers. It won every single musical award there was this season. So that’s even better than mere MC score.

Literally the ONLY reason the committee would choose to not nominate ASIB is because it already won two grammy’s last year and will probably win one or two more this year with or without AoTY nod. So the sole argument against it, is its actual success.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  M.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  M.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.