Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 5)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 531 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
50 years ago
( +20 hidden )
replies
views
users
Oz
M
Blanche
  • 24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

BEST NEW ARTIST:

Billie Eilish
    Maggie Rogers
    Ben Platt
    Lizzo
    A Boogie With Da Hoodie
    Juice WRLD
    Lewis Capaldi

(I dont know anybody else eligible)

They should push back the general field to 5 nods apiece especially since we have 1 month less and its such a weak year.

Ben Platt is ineligible bc he is already a Grammy Award winner (for the Dear Evan Hansen Soundtrack).

I do feel that we are lacking quality Best New Artist contenders outside a couple choices. I think the Grammys need to be like the Oscars and say they can nominate “up to” 8, but can nominate less if not enough are worthy.

At this point, I would say:

Billie Eilish (Alternative / Pop)
    Lizzo (Contemporary R&B)
    Lewis Capaldi (Pop / Singer-Songwriter)
    Lil Nas X (Hip-Hop / Maybe Country)
    City Girls (Hip-Hop)
    Morgan Wallen (Country)
    Megan Thee Stallion (Hip-Hop)
    Sigrid or Maggie Rogers (Pop / Alternative)

Justin Galaxy
    Participant
    Topics:

Maggie Rogers and Sigrid are both definitely getting nominations over City Girls and Lil Nas X. These basic non-critically acclaimed hip hop acts rarely get best new artist nominations. the only recent example of this is Lil Uzi Vert. Maggie’s album debuted at #2 and got great reviews. Sigrid also got great reviews and has a lot of hype.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo also fits the Hip Hop quota.

Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

My bets on BNA

1. Billie Eilish
    2. Lizzo
    3. Maggie Rogers
    4. Alec Benjamin
    5. City Girls
    6. Lewis Capaldi
    7. Morgan Wallen
    8. Lil Nas X

Maggie and Billie will fit both pop and alternative. Lizzo for R&B, Alec Benjamin and Lewis Capaldi for the singer-songwriter, Morgan in country, and Lil Nas X and City Girls in BNA (there’s usually a duo or group, so I think City Girls have a good shot).

Arianator
    Participant
    Topics:

Album of the Year is wide open due to an extremely weak year. Beyoncé and Solange could easily get in. Sisters have never faced off in the biggest category. That would be a cute narrative.

Just give Beyoncé AOTY for an amazing career.

Beyoncé shouldn’t win with a flop album that everyone forgot now. Thank U Next deserves this year

Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

Dude stop trying to force ASIB as a “popular” albun, specially comparing It to Post Malone or Drake. I know it’s kind your opinion but it’s Just too stupid say something like that

I don’t whats bad about being compared to Drake who broke records last year even though his album is filler and also post malone who stays on the Billboard . But IMO I think that’s the case with A Star is Born, where there’s filler except maybe Shallow and INLA. That’s just my opinion, if you have a problem with saying she’s popular and that’s why she’s getting nominated, fix your priorities and get over it 🙂

Barnacles Bro

Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

Well ASIB is the album that most sold among all the one’s talked on this thread, obviously it’s not a chart smash hit singles like Scorpion. But That’s not the case, he’s trying to say that ASIB will only be nominated because it made good numbers, ignoring the fact that it was loved by all the critics and won many awards, he even dared to compare it to a Post Malone work lol.

Homeboy I’m going by the facts. A Star is Born is not winning Album of the Year because it was critically this amazing body of work. Lady Gaga is not critically acclaimed like Billie Eilish, Tyler the Creator and even Solange and Ariana Grande. She is not getting the nomination or the win because it’s the most critically acclaimed album, but she is not no Post Malone and Drake, even though there’s filler on the Soundtrack. She getting it because of Sales and Shallow. She won awards because of Shallow, not the Soundtrack. And also let me remind you that Shallow didn’t win all the awards it toke home. And yet something critically like Golden Hour and This is America took home the general field last year. So to say that Lady Gaga is critically acclaimed is bull shit. She might have good reviews, but it’s no Billie Eilish, it’s no Ariana Grande, it’s no Solange. And it’s certainly not a Tyler the Creator.

Barnacles Bro

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

City Girls might be hurt by the recent revelation that they use ghostwriters.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

She might have good reviews, but it’s no Billie Eilish, it’s no Ariana Grande, it’s no Solange. And it’s certainly not a Tyler the Creator.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/a-star-is-born

Please stop this dumb argument. ASIB actually has a higher score:

“95
    Film Journal International – Kevin Lally
    Sep 10, 2018
    The songs, written by Gaga, Cooper, Lukas Nelson, Jason Aldean and Mark Ronson, are all terrific and will make a helluva soundtrack album, and Lady Gaga’s performances are electrifying.”

“Which I suppose brings me to the real red meat of this movie: the music. Gaga and Lukas Nelson have composed a sampling of songs that exist comfortably in the environment of the movie, but could also (and likely will) stand on their own. ”

I could post dozens of quotes that talk about music in these very reviews. So please stop this dumb argument that somehow music wasn’t taken into consideration when this movie was reviewed when it’s an ACTUAL MUSICAL.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  M.
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s really annoying to keep rehashing this same topic. But these Ariana stans can’t accept a simple fact that ASIB is actually more acclaimed than TUN, trying to dismiss it as just a “popular” album that isn’t acclaimed lmao. This far-fetched notion that somehow the musical’s acclaim doesn’t extend to its OWN music is simply stupid. As you can see in the reviews, most of the critics weighed in on the music itself in their reviews.

The musical has 88 on MC, but apparently it’s not enough to consider the project “acclaimed” for some stans who are being willfully blind.

jowgbruno
    Participant
    Topics:

Lady Gaga is not critically acclaimed like Billie Eilish, Tyler the Creator and even Solange and Ariana Grande.

So to say that Lady Gaga is critically acclaimed is bull shit. She might have good reviews, but it’s no Billie Eilish, it’s no Ariana Grande, it’s no Solange. And it’s certainly not a Tyler the Creator.

To say something so bad like that, dude, you just proved everything I’ve said, not even the most ignorant hater of Gaga would say something like “she’s not acclaimed as billie, ariana or tyler” lol

you clearly do not understand anything of the subject that we speak here, of acclaim, awards, rates or impact on music, please go to a thread about something like the Teen’s Choice Awards, you will fit better there.

jowgbruno
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s really annoying to keep rehashing this same topic. But these Ariana stans can’t accept a simple fact that ASIB is actually more acclaimed than TUN, trying to dismiss it as just a “popular” album that isn’t acclaimed lmao. This far-fetched notion that somehow the musical’s acclaim doesn’t extend to its OWN music is simply stupid. As you can see in the reviews, most of the critics weighed in on the music itself in their reviews. The musical has 88 on MC, but apparently it’s not enough to consider the project “acclaimed” for some stans who are being willfully blind.

What he said was by fair the weirdest thing that I read in here. It’s batshit crazy

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

City Girls are just not the type of Hip Hop artists to be nominated for any major Grammys.

Lil Uzi Vert is an emo artist that had a song with a strong melody, and his album has some acclaim. He was a different type of Hip Hop from City Girls. I’ll just leave it at that.

Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Rock Performance
    1. Lo/Hi by The Black Keys
    2. This Life by Vampire Weekend
    3. Beloved by Mumford & Sons
    4. Trampoline by SHAED
    5. still feel by half.alive

Best Rock Song
    1. This Life by Vampire Weekend
    2. Lo/Hi by The Black Keys
    3. Trampoline by SHAED
    4. Chlorine by twenty-one pilots
    5. Love It If We Made It by The 1975

Best Rock Album
    1. Delta by Mumford & Sons
    2. “Let’s Rock” by The Black Keys
    3. Amo by Bring Me the Horizon
    4. Social Cues by Cage the Elephant
    5. RAMMSTEIN by RAMMSTEIN

Best Alternative Album
    1. Father of the Bride by Vampire Weekend
    2. I Am Easy to Find by The National
    3. Titanic Rising by Weyes Blood
    4. Trench by twenty-one pilots
    5. Remind Me Tomorrow by Sharon Van Etten

Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

Unrelated but 5 Seconds of Summer’s label does a terrible job at promoting them. That new song they released would kill at Alternative/ “Rock” radio with the kind of crap Imagine Dragons and Panic! are feeding us. They need to stop promoting them on Pop radio only. They’re not really rock anymore, but neither is Panic.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.