Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 6)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 907 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +19 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
Darren
dOminiK13_
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank U Next is definitely a more likely pick in Song or Record than Bad Guy.

No it isn’t.

Billie Eilish has cross-genre appeal that Ariana Grande lacks, and she’s seen as more of a serious artist.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marlon G
    Participant
    Topics:

Isn’t it kinda dumb to say that they chose Ariana to then say that they will *not* chose her.

I don’t think she’ll win anything in the GF, but Thank U Next is definitely a more likely pick in Song or Record than Bad Guy. Only one artist has won all 4 awards, and it was a very Grammy-like song.

Sweetener would’ve won regardless of the new members. Ariana was hot at the moment, all her competition either underperformed or were first-time nominees, and she had a huge #1 single in the airwaves. Plus, I don’t get how a 6x nominee that makes trap-pop is close to an upcoming singer songwriter that makes alternative music.

Let me make this clear. Billie Eillish is not an artist that just makes Alternative Music , she’s also pop. Even though it’s different from other pop records, it’s pop too. Ariana makes Pop- Trap now But she’s not a Pop-Trap artist. She’s a Pop Artist, who delivered a pop record, that’s it. They come very close considering they will most likely be competing against each other in the Pop Vocal category. And the Grammys absolutely choose Sweetener over Reputation. That is a fact. I doubt Thank U, Next could win in the GF. Especially if Billie is submitting When The Party is Over cause it’s far more superior than Thank U, Next. The song doesn’t need to have a commercial success like Thank U, Next. May I remind you that This Is America Lost it’s momentum weeks after its release. People think it’s going to win based on its 1# standing when in reality the Grammys could care less if a song is 1# or not.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  Marlon Gonz.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Marlon G
    Participant
    Topics:

No it isn’t.

Billie Eilish has cross-genre appeal that Ariana Grande lacks, and she’s seen as more of a serious artist.

Exactly. Ariana’s fit this year didn’t help her, it ruined her chances. She can get nominated but the Grammys are going to award an artist who takes her artestry seriously. Who delivered good content this year. An Artist who had both Critically and Commercially success this year than an artist who made a big deal about not performing a song so mediocre like 7 Rings. The Grammys were practically doing her a favor not to perform.

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw an early screening of Yesterday, and the new song Ed Sheeran has in it is 100% better than what he has released so far off No. 6.

Not sure if it will be released as a single, but I’m pretty sure the public will eat it up so I’m not counting him out just yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    OneAndOnly
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m excited what Sam’s upcoming lead is going to bring to the table, Lead single is releasing next month, July 19th

“How Do You Sleep?”

Max Martin

Ilya Salmanzadeh

Savan Kotecha

https://instagram.com/howdoyousleep?igshid=dvb5532995ub

I will always love you

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I think y’all are forgetting the 900 new Grammy voters who completely rejected reputation and went with sweetener instead. I think it’s pretty clear that the Grammys have evolved into picking something fresh. Billie is winning multiple GF categories. “Bad Guy” and “When The Party Is Over” are probably the best songs this year if we’re talking commercialy and critically. It’s not going to get any better this year. This is it. This is the music we got in 2019. She’s winning SOTY, ROTY and AOTY as well. Not just BNA. Do y’all really think Old Town Road and Thank U, Next are winning? I get that the Grammys often have a bad taste but TUN and OTR is a bit of a stretch.

First of all, not all of those 900 accepted the invitation. Only 200 and something did.
    Second, the Grammy’s published statistics this year, which show that even with those numbers, 71% are still old and white, which is a huge voting block.
    So any artist that doesn’t appeal to older generations won’t probably stand a chance in the big 3 categories.

Sweetener’s win last year isn’t an indication of new blood in the academy. She had the #1 song at the time the voters were voting. It helped. And Reputation wasn’t even nominated in the pop solo category. So in hindsight, it should’ve been clear that Reputation was not going to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

For the record,
    I think if ASIB is nominated, I have no doubt it’ll win AoTY unless there’s a strong competitor other than TUN or WWAFAWDWG. If ASIB is not nominated, it’ll be some surprise win like Beck or The Suburbs. The voters won’t be reluctant to do it again.

For SoTY/RoTY, I’ll have to wait and see the nominations. I don’t see Ariana or Billie winning it. They’ll split the vote between each other anyway since they appeal to similar audiences. But I don’t particularly think that Ariana is less likely than Billie, quite the contrary, the fact Ariana won last year shows that she has a following in the academy. We don’t know if that’s the case for Billie yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

No it isn’t.

That’s complete bullshit. Last year’s Record, Song, and Album of the Year all lost to albums and songs that had “cross-genre appeal” (a term widly over-used in these forums), and she’s still seen as that emo kid that thinks she’s edgy by a lot. I love both of them, and I think neither will win Record or Song (or Album, for that matter), but Ariana probably has the lead. Thank U Next was bigger and more acclaimed than Bad Guy. The Grammy will not award Song of the Year to a song that talks about stealing your dad.

That said, I’m still banking on a JoBros win. Sucker is inoffensive, one of the top 10 hits of the year, it’s from a very succesful album, and the Grammy’s like comebacks; it’s my ROTY pick.

Song of the Year is wide open, but I feel like there are better and more friendly picks than both TUN and Bad Guy.

Also: no one said Old Town Road is winning Record of the Year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

If it comes down to an artist who gets respectable airplay on pop and rock radio and has been praised by the likes of Paul McCartney and Dave Grohl as the “future of rock and roll”, and Ariana Grande, it’s pretty obvious who the winner would be. Don’t be delusional.

“Thank U, Next” would never in a million years win Record or Song of the Year, and the Jonas Brothers aren’t going to, either – I’m doubtful they’ll even be nominated in those categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

And by the way, even though “Bad Guy” is the runaway hit from Billie Eilish’s album, several of the other songs/singles did well on the charts and are recognizable enough to get GF nominations. “When the Party’s Over”, especially, comes to mind. Her options are not limited to just “Bad Guy”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marlon G
    Participant
    Topics:

sweetner isn’t “fresh”. it’s generic. and the same voters picked some crappy ballad album track over this “fresh” ariana in pop solo.

Smh, seriously.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

“Sucker” for ROTY/SOTY? I’m done.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Whoever wins RoTY/SoTY this year should apologize for a very shitty year in music and promise to ship the award to one of the many deserving contenders who lost in previous years.

ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsBait3818
    Participant
    Topics:

I definitely see Bad Guy nominated in ROTY and being a possible winner (I think the same about thank u, next) but I think the committee would leave it out entirely of SOTY due to it’s lyrical content The “might seduce your dad type” line got some backlash and I think they’ll consider it too lightweight overall. The Billie Eilish song with the best chance of a nomination is When the Party’s Over, but Billie would have to be ok with not getting a nomination since she’s not a writer on that one. If she wants a nomination I think her best shot is Bury a Friend, I don’t see them objecting to the lyrical content and it was big enough to justify a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    na digga
    Participant
    Topics:

Taylor’s new song is expected to debut at #4 her chances at getting Grammy noms especially gf noms are dropping at lightening speed. It’s definitely Billie vs Ariana. that’s the narrative the Grammys will go for. As far as Shawn and Camila 😬 I don’t liked them but that’s my taste not the Grammys. If the song does well I could see it taking the slot for “I don’t care” easily. Plus I think “dancing with a stranger” is the frontrunner since the Grammys usually go with slow ballads in that category. And voters will consider sunflower is too hip hop and well.. the Jonas Brothers aren’t winning a Grammy(idk why some of you think they have ROTY potential). So the fifth harmony Camila vs Normani in the same category could be another narrative they could use to pull in viewers.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 907 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.