Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 6)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 907 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +19 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
Darren
dOminiK13_
  • Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

You have these examples, but pop voters also passed over “6 Inch,” “Die With You,” “Best Thing I Never Had,” “Pretty Hurts,” and the massive #1 hit “Perfect.”

“Hold Up” was nominated in a relatively un-competitive year: Justin Timberlake submitted the Trolls version of “Can’t Stop the Feeling” in Pop Duo/Group, and apparently Lady Gaga didn’t even enter “Perfect Illusion” at all, so the next most likely nominees were Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, and Shawn Mendes.

I don’t remember how competitive Female Pop Vocal Performance was in 2011, although she did get in over the biggest hit of that year (“Tik Tok”).

However, I do agree that “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” is definitely in the hunt for a Pop Duo/Group nomination if entered. It’s an Oscar-winning song that everyone knows by two past general field winners.

To counterargue, Die With You was a throwaway song that she didn’t even release a real single, Best Thing I Never Had was up against heavy competitiors and that was considered her flop era so they didn’t bother. Pretty Hurts didn’t even chart and was, again, passed over for stronger songs. Perfect Duet seems like the only legit snub.

I would only predict Can You Feel The Love Tonight based on its success.

ReplyCopy URL
    Blanche
    Participant
    Topics:

While we are going with other years…Where was Partition submitted, if submitted at all?

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

To counterargue, Die With You was a throwaway song that she didn’t even release a real single, Best Thing I Never Had was up against heavy competitiors and that was considered her flop era so they didn’t bother. Pretty Hurts didn’t even chart and was, again, passed over for stronger songs. Perfect Duet seems like the only legit snub.

That’s perfectly fair, but I don’t agree with the notion that two filler nominations equate to her being shown “plenty” of love by pop voters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

While we are going with other years…Where was Partition submitted, if submitted at all?

Music Video only.

ReplyCopy URL
    na digga
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Beyoncé and Donald Glover two people that the Grammys love to nominate and “can you feel the love tonight” a beloved song will miss the nomination. Last year pop duo had 7 nominees. This year is different because there is an actual competition but that doesn’t mean it won’t be nominated it just won’t win. Not with Donald singing like that.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

They should’ve written new stuff for this remake, because when I heard Can You Feel The Love, I was just unimpressed maybe because everyone knows the song by now. Doesn’t sound like a cover that it takes it to a whole new level like Whitney did with IWALY.

I don’t think it’ll chart high either.

ReplyCopy URL
    Blanche
    Participant
    Topics:

Tony Bennet and Backstreet Boys were nominated last year.A song doesn’t have to be a hit to get in anymore.Joanne winning a grammy is other example of that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s perfectly fair, but I don’t agree with the notion that two filler nominations equate to her being shown “plenty” of love by pop voters.

I don’t either but that’s only cause she would need more in contention to prove whether they truly love her or not.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Tony Bennet and Backstreet Boys were nominated last year.A song doesn’t have to be a hit to get in anymore.Joanne winning a grammy is other example of that.

We shall see but it’s still a missed opportunity. A movie this big with original songs could’ve easily gotten Beyoncé & Donald an Oscar, a Golden Globe and possibly many Grammy’s like ASIB.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

How is it a missed opportunity when we haven’t even heard the new songs yet? We don’t even know the lyrics lmfao

ReplyCopy URL
    dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

We shall see but it’s still a missed opportunity. A movie this big with original songs could’ve easily gotten Beyoncé & Donald an Oscar, a Golden Globe and possibly many Grammy’s like ASIB.

I’m a big fan of The Lion King I’d hate if it happened. I like Beyoncé, but classics are classics

ReplyCopy URL
    Lone Pirate
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m surprised there is not more talk about Bruce Springsteen sliding into AOTY for Western Stars. It’s received some terrific reviews and he’s looking at a solid #2 debut for the album. He’s 72 and the Grammys might want to reward him with something approaching a career achievement award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m surprised there is not more talk about Bruce Springsteen sliding into AOTY for Western Stars. It’s received some terrific reviews and he’s looking at a solid #2 debut for the album. He’s 72 and the Grammys might want to reward him with something approaching a career achievement award.

They’ve largely been avoiding giving AOTY nominations to legacy acts recently. Jay-Z is the closest they’ve come to doing that this decade.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Lil Nas X new song, albeit the weird title, doesn’t sound memey…

Imagine if this EP makes him more credible and he ends being in AoTY too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Lil Nas X new song, albeit the weird title, doesn’t sound memey… Imagine if this EP makes him more credible and he ends being in AoTY too.

Do you think that the fact that Panini doesn’t sound memey will help the song become a hit?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 907 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.