Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 6)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 907 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +19 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
Darren
dOminiK13_
  • PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not that “archaic”. I think Billie’s going to roast Ariana this Grammy season, so there’s that.

And teenyboppers do get Grammy nominations and have great first week sales (Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers in 2009, etc.). Again, pulling BS out of your ass.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

The Jonas Brothers were also passed over in Pop Performance by a Duo/Group and Pop Album the year after they were nominated for Best New Artist, in addition to them not receiving any nominations via DNCE or Joe and Nick’s solo careers.

The difference is that Pop Vocal and Pop Duo/Group were very competitive that year. So far neither of you have made much of a prediction except for Billie Eilish in SOTY – which is not happening.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not that “archaic”. I think Billie’s going to roast Ariana this Grammy season, so there’s that.

And teenyboppers do get Grammy nominations and have great first week sales (Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers in 2009, etc.). Again, pulling BS out of your ass.

For every Justin Bieber you have a Shawn Mendes (who had to grow out of his poppier sound to get a nom), Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato (again – 5 albums deep for 1 nom), etc. Justin Bieber was the exception.

Britney was a huge pop culture phenomenon. To label her as a “teeny bopper” is misguided at best.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

The difference is that Pop Vocal and Pop Duo/Group were very competitive that year. So far neither of you have made much of a prediction except for Billie Eilish in SOTY – which is not happening.

Pop Duo/Group was not competitive that year. The nominees included Hall & Oates for a live version of a 30-year-old song, a B-tier Fray single, a C-tier Bon Jovi single, and a moderate hit (at best) by MGMT.

Likewise, the Jonas Brothers could easily have gotten in Pop Album over Colbie Caillat, whose album was a sophomore slump.

I’m not sure why you’re trying to paint them as an act that Grammy voters have ever cared that much about.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by  Darren.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Britney was a huge pop culture phenomenon. To label her as a “teeny bopper” is misguided at best.

An artist can be a “teenybopper” and a “pop culture phenomenon.” The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Other teenyboppers that had huge first week sales and Grammy nominations were *NSync and The Backstreet Boys and most suburban acts that appealed to the TRL era. So, yeah, nothing is “misguided” about Britney being a teenybopper because that’s exactly what she was, sorry.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Pop Duo/Group was not competitive that year. The nominees included Hall & Oates for a live version of a 30-year-old song, a B-tier Fray single, a C-tier Bon Jovi single, and a moderate hit (at best) by MGMT.

Likewise, the Jonas Brothers could easily have gotten in Pop Album over Colbie Caillat, whose album was a sophomore slump.

I’m not sure why you’re trying to paint them as an act that Grammy voters have ever cared that much about.

No? Colbie was very liked by the Grammy’s – had more noms than the JoBros – and they’re album was panned to death. It was a competitive category.

And Paranoid peaked at #37 on the Hot 100 and plummetted quickly after. You’re acting as if they were snubbed for a huge single.

Y’all can keep predicting Billie Eilish to win 3/4 in the GF and whoever the fuck you want in Pop Duo. Whatever let’s you sleep at night.✨

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

An artist can be a “teenybopper” and a “pop culture phenomenon.” The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Other teenyboppers that had huge first week sales and Grammy nominations were *NSync and The Backstreet Boys and most suburban acts that appealed to the TRL era. So, yeah, nothing is “misguided” about Britney being a teenybopper because that’s exactly what she was, sorry.

Teenyboppers aren’t pop culture phenomenonz anymore. The last (and probably only in the 2010s) was Bieber.

Archaic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Y’all can keep predicting Billie Eilish to win 3/4 in the GF and whoever the fuck you want in Pop Duo. Whatever let’s you sleep at night.

And you can keep predicting Ariana to win in the general field or the Jonas Brothers to win a Grammy, but that isn’t going to make it happen.

You Need to Calm Down.mp3

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Teenyboppers aren’t pop culture phenomenonz anymore. The last (and probably only in the 2010s) was Bieber.

Archaic.

Who said they were? You are the only one trying to argue that a teenybopper can’t be a pop culture phenomenon and vice versa or that Britney wasn’t a teenybopper, dummy.

Still, Jonas Brothers (and Ariana Grande) will be afterthoughts come Grammy voting time. That’s NOT “archaic.”

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Archaic!

ReplyCopy URL
    na digga
    Participant
    Topics:

Sucker is a lock for a pop duo/group nomination. The nominees from last year had lots of 2000s acts. And sucker is very similar to feel it still. To the point where Portugal. the man accused the Jonas Brothers of stealing and sampling their song. That benefits them in terms of a nomination. But they’ll Only be nominated. Nobody considers the Jonas Brothers to be a serious musical act and them still performing on Nickelodeon doesn’t help shed that Disney image.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by  na digga.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by  na digga.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

And sucker is very similar to feel it still. To the point where Portugal. the man accused the Jonas Brothers of stealing and sampling their song. That benefits them in terms of a nomination.

That actually hurts them. But I don’t know who said they weren’t getting nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>as I was saying.  I do not think it’s impossible for Sam to win, but.  Jonas Brothers has a lot more interesting narativa, they will not gain anything in Big4, but Pop Duo and BPVA seems to be appropriate for what they are doing within the genre.  out the huge media buzz that this would bring (audience to the grammys)</p>

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

And you can keep predicting Ariana to win in the general field or the Jonas Brothers to win a Grammy, but that isn’t going to make it happen.

I’ve never predicted Ariana to win in the GF. I textually said “she won’t win”. I only said she’s more likely than Eilish.

But hey. I guess reading is too hard for some people.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Still, Jonas Brothers (and Ariana Grande) will be afterthoughts come Grammy voting time. That’s NOT “archaic.”

“Girl, sit. You need to be more worried about your previous Ariana getting passed Camila Cabello, Taylor Swift and Beck in her categories. Not me. I will stay on my high horse as long as I see fit.”

Lol. Funny thing is you were the one saying I shouldn’t predict in Rap (despite accurately predicting the I Like It snub and King’s Dead winning months before the noms) and that I should “stick to pop”. Stick to rap.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 907 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.