Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 6)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 945 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Boz
D
dOminiK13_
  • Chris B.
    Participant
    Topics:

“Sucker” is no “Feel It Still” (even though it sounds like a cheap copy). Portugal. The Man has a huge alternative following. Jonas Brothers are a pop boyband.

Jonas Brothers’ Grammy history is not strong at all. Their only nomination was BNA in 2009. It doesn’t matter if they haven’t released an album since then. I don’t see what you’re going on. The ROTY talk is questionable as well. And their sales took a huge tumble this week, btw. It was propelled by bundles.

The pop field is going to see so many upsets come Grammy nomination day. I cannot wait.

What upsets do you think of seeing in the pop field?

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Portgual. The Man didn’t have a “huge alternative following”, clearly since they didn’t have any hits on the Alt charts nor did they have any Grammy history. They were very indie; most people in the indie crowd didn’t know them, or at least not until Evil Friends.

Grammy history isn’t that revelant in that category. Plenty of first time nominees have won, and just last year we saw Ed Sheeran, Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar, The Weeknd, and more artists snubbed.

And yes, it does matter that they haven’t released anything after 2009 (they released a single in 2013 that went nowhere so I’m not including that). How are they gonna have any “history” with no music to nominate them for? The fact that they even got a BNA nom when so many Disney acts have been snubbed is admirable.

You have been saying the same for 3 years. The Pop field is not changing until they add a committee, and we’ll be stuck with it until then. Sucker is not a locked win, but it is by far the frontrunner.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

You have been saying the same for 3 years. The Pop field is not changing until they add a committee, and we’ll be stuck with it until then. Sucker is not a locked win, but it is by far the frontrunner.

I’ve been saying the same thing for three years, yet we had several surprised snubs (Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, etc.) and surprised nominees (Beck, Tony Bennett, Backstreet Boys etc.) just last year, so clearly there was a shift just last year WITHOUT a committee. So, what are you even talking about?

And no, just because you say “Sucker” is “by far” the frontrunner doesn’t make it so. A far out frontrunner would have to have more benefits than what you’re stating. An example of that would be Ed Sheeran winning Pop Solo for “Shape of You” or Adele, not some boyband whose Grammy history is mediocre at best. You just want these big pop records by teenyboppers to win all the time. This is NOT the Teen Choice Awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

And if you want to get technical, Jonas Brothers may not have released any music together in over ten years, but DNCE and Nick Jonas had and the Grammys paid them dust.

I think this is a similar debate to the one we had to Camila Cabello last year. People used her Grammy history (or lack thereof) of Fifth Harmony against her. She ended up getting the nominations but still LOST, despite posters thinking she would prevail just because she had a #1 hit.

The same thing will happen with JB. They will get the nominations and lose all of them.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t say ‘Sucker’ is lock to win but I think it has a very good chance.

ReplyCopy URL
    D
    Participant
    Topics:

The Jonas Brothers were also passed over in Pop Performance by a Duo/Group and Pop Album the year after they were nominated for Best New Artist, in addition to them not receiving any nominations via DNCE or Joe and Nick’s solo careers.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

The Jonas Brothers were also passed over in Pop Performance by a Duo/Group and Pop Album the year after they were nominated for Best New Artist, in addition to them not receiving any nominations via DNCE or Joe and Nick’s solo careers.

Ding ding!

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

You just want these big pop records by teenyboppers to win all the time. This is NOT the Teen Choice Awards.

Why do you always say this when people predict younger acts (which, in most cases, have strong cases in favour of them)? It’s not a strong argument, it’s just plain pathetic.

I do not like Sucker, nor do I like the Jonas Brothers; if it were for me that category would go to Gaga. But to dismiss them is as dumb as people dimissing Sweetener last year because “it was a teeny bopper album”.

I don’t know how archaic you are, but most of the times when you use the term “teen” you’re reffering to artists who already moved out of that phase. The JoBros’s fans are probably well in their 20s/early 30s now aside from the (normal) new teen audience. Ariana Grande has young adult fans. Even someone like Justin Bieber probably has a slew of adult fans. Same with almost every artist you accuse of this. Teenyboppers don’t have the best first-week sales of the year, and teenyboppers don’t get Grammy noms.

We’re in 2019 – most of those acts have more than 6 years in the industry. You want a true teeny-bopper? Go to someone like Madison Beer or Sabrina Carpenter or Why Don’t We. Whatever you call teenyboppers are not anymore. They’re the new normal.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not that “archaic”. I think Billie’s going to roast Ariana this Grammy season, so there’s that.

And teenyboppers do get Grammy nominations and have great first week sales (Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers in 2009, etc.). Again, pulling BS out of your ass.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

The difference is that Pop Vocal and Pop Duo/Group were very competitive that year. So far neither of you have made much of a prediction except for Billie Eilish in SOTY – which is not happening.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not that “archaic”. I think Billie’s going to roast Ariana this Grammy season, so there’s that.

And teenyboppers do get Grammy nominations and have great first week sales (Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers in 2009, etc.). Again, pulling BS out of your ass.

For every Justin Bieber you have a Shawn Mendes (who had to grow out of his poppier sound to get a nom), Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato (again – 5 albums deep for 1 nom), etc. Justin Bieber was the exception.

Britney was a huge pop culture phenomenon. To label her as a “teeny bopper” is misguided at best.

ReplyCopy URL
    D
    Participant
    Topics:

The difference is that Pop Vocal and Pop Duo/Group were very competitive that year. So far neither of you have made much of a prediction except for Billie Eilish in SOTY – which is not happening.

Pop Duo/Group was not competitive that year. The nominees included Hall & Oates for a live version of a 30-year-old song, a B-tier Fray single, a C-tier Bon Jovi single, and a moderate hit (at best) by MGMT.

Likewise, the Jonas Brothers could easily have gotten in Pop Album over Colbie Caillat, whose album was a sophomore slump.

I’m not sure why you’re trying to paint them as an act that Grammy voters have ever cared that much about.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  D.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Britney was a huge pop culture phenomenon. To label her as a “teeny bopper” is misguided at best.

An artist can be a “teenybopper” and a “pop culture phenomenon.” The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Other teenyboppers that had huge first week sales and Grammy nominations were *NSync and The Backstreet Boys and most suburban acts that appealed to the TRL era. So, yeah, nothing is “misguided” about Britney being a teenybopper because that’s exactly what she was, sorry.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Pop Duo/Group was not competitive that year. The nominees included Hall & Oates for a live version of a 30-year-old song, a B-tier Fray single, a C-tier Bon Jovi single, and a moderate hit (at best) by MGMT.

Likewise, the Jonas Brothers could easily have gotten in Pop Album over Colbie Caillat, whose album was a sophomore slump.

I’m not sure why you’re trying to paint them as an act that Grammy voters have ever cared that much about.

No? Colbie was very liked by the Grammy’s – had more noms than the JoBros – and they’re album was panned to death. It was a competitive category.

And Paranoid peaked at #37 on the Hot 100 and plummetted quickly after. You’re acting as if they were snubbed for a huge single.

Y’all can keep predicting Billie Eilish to win 3/4 in the GF and whoever the fuck you want in Pop Duo. Whatever let’s you sleep at night.✨

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

An artist can be a “teenybopper” and a “pop culture phenomenon.” The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Other teenyboppers that had huge first week sales and Grammy nominations were *NSync and The Backstreet Boys and most suburban acts that appealed to the TRL era. So, yeah, nothing is “misguided” about Britney being a teenybopper because that’s exactly what she was, sorry.

Teenyboppers aren’t pop culture phenomenonz anymore. The last (and probably only in the 2010s) was Bieber.

Archaic.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 945 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.