Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 8)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 745 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
D
Boz
Pauly Antonio
  • Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:

Sweetheart, I never Billie Eilish is winning AOTY. Get your facts straight, K!

Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:

You’ve said this like 20 times. Are you that pressed honey?

Honey, pressed is you continually thinking Ariana Grande is all of a sudden a serious artist/Grammy darling due to a fluke Grammy win.

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Predicting Ariana Grande to win another Grammy doesn’t mean posters think she’s a Grammy darling. I wish y’all would stop insinuating this.

If anything, Gaga having a great year for a critically acclaimed film has y’all now thinking she’s some type of Grammy darling.

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

If anything, Gaga having a great year for a critically acclaimed film has y’all now thinking she’s some type of Grammy darling.

Anyone who is winning pop categories with non-charting non-singles can probably safely be considered a Grammy darling, or at the very least someone very well-liked by voters.

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyone who is winning pop categories with non-charting non-singles can probably safely be considered a Grammy darling, or at the very least someone very well-liked by voters.

Joanne winning was CLEARLY due to the mass appeal of A Star Is Born. You’re dreaming if you think she’d even be nominated any other year with a forgotten non single. She’ll be back to strictly token pop nominations soon enough.

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Joanne winning was CLEARLY due to the mass appeal of A Star Is Born. You’re dreaming if you think she’d even be nominated any other year with a forgotten non single. She’ll be back to strictly token pop nominations soon enough.

It doesn’t matter if A Star Is Born helped or if something else did; the fact that she was able to beat out two massive hits and another hit by the Best Pop Vocal Album winner shows that she is very well-liked by voters right now.

“Joanne” isn’t even from A Star Is Born, so that means the hype of the movie obviously translated into overall goodwill for Gaga.

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

It doesn’t matter if A Star Is Born helped or if something else did; the fact that she was able to beat out two massive hits and another hit by the Best Pop Vocal Album winner shows that she is very well-liked by voters right now. “Joanne” isn’t even from A Star Is Born, so that means the hype of the movie obviously translated into overall goodwill for Gaga.

That’s exactly my point. The ASIB hype generated positive appeal from voters. It doesn’t mean she ca get automatic nominations going forward as if she’s some type of Adele-like figure. I doubt she ever sees a General Field nomination again unless she  has another huge era, which she most likely won’t.

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m sure Gaga is well liked amongst pop voters. I just don’t think she’s on an Adele comparable level of Grammy love to start referring to her as a “Grammy Darling”. Just my take.

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s exactly my point. The ASIB hype generated positive appeal from voters. It doesn’t mean she ca get automatic nominations going forward as if she’s some type of Adele-like figure. I doubt she ever sees a General Field nomination again unless she has another huge era, which she most likely won’t.

Well that’s irrelevant since this is a 2020 Grammy prediction thread, not a 2025 one. And like it or not, Gaga is likely walking off with another handful of Grammys, possibly even AOTY, since A Star Is Born has remained relevant into 2019 and we obviously know Grammy voters liked it.

Literally no one compared her to Adele, either.

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m sure Gaga is well liked amongst pop voters. I just don’t think she’s on an Adele comparable level of Grammy love to start referring to her as a “Grammy Darling”. Just my take.

Again – no one compared her to Adele. “Grammy darling” ≠ Adele. She is in another league completely, unless you can name another artist who has won all 13 of their most recent nominations.

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

I never expressed distaste about her winning more Grammys and even AOTY. I was simply talking about people calling her a Grammy darling, which she isn’t. And yea, it’s an extremely weak year. If the committee were to nominate her in Album, I’m 80% sure she’d win. I’m just not convinced they’ll nominate her yet.

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Again – no one compared her to Adele. “Grammy darling” ≠ Adele. She is in another league completely, unless you can name another artist who has won all 13 of their most recent nominations.

Well that depends on your definition of a “Grammy darling”. Someone who can win in their genre simply off name recognition. I’m not too keen to say that Gaga is that. She was largely ignored until her ASIB era.

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not too keen to say that Gaga is that. She was largely ignored until her ASIB era.

She won 6 Grammys prior to this year. Her first 3 albums were nominated for AOTY, 2 of those won genre awards (as did a third), and all but one of her albums have been nominated at the very least. Even the year ARTPOP was ignored, she won a Grammy.

I don’t know why you’re trying to rewrite history. She has always been liked by the Grammys and right now she seems to be in darling territory, however long you think that might last isn’t really relevant.

Someone who can win in their genre simply off name recognition. I’m not too keen to say that Gaga is that.

Didn’t that literally happen just this year? 💀

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

5/6 of those Grammys were during her  The Fame/Fame Monster era over 10 years ago, and her 6th was due to Tony Bennet who is very much an automatic win in Traditional Pop Album. She didn’t win for BTW, was completely ignored for Artpop, and didn’t stand a chance against Ed for Joanne. Kendrick Lamar is an example of an artist who can win in his genre on any given year due to name recognition. That ain’t Gaga. But it seems this convo isn’t going anywhere so we’ll just agree to disagree. 🤷🏾‍♀️

DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

her 6th was due to Tony Bennet who is very much an automatic win in Traditional Pop Album.

Barbra Streisand’s Partners was her biggest album in years and it was more commercially successful than Cheek to Cheek. And Bennett just lost Traditional Pop Vocal Album this year to Willie Nelson, who he usually beats. He is not an automatic name-check.

She didn’t win for BTW, was completely ignored for Artpop, and didn’t stand a chance against Ed for Joanne. Kendrick Lamar is an example of an artist who can win in his genre on any given year due to name recognition.

No one expected her to win against Adele (funny you leave out the artist who beat her that time) or Ed Sheeran’s Divide. Sometimes a particular artist is having a moment and there’s nothing you can do about that. With rappers, it tends to last awhile. With pop singers, it tends to shift from album cycle to album cycle. And let’s not pretend that Kendrick has never been the victim of that (see 2014).

I never said she was a darling before this year; I said she has always been liked by voters (6 vs. Katy Perry and Kesha’s 0, or Rihanna’s 3 for her own material) and looks to be approaching darling territory based on her heavy nominations haul and surprise Pop Solo win this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 745 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.