Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards (Part 8)

2020 Grammy Awards (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 686 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +42 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
Boz
Pauly Antonio
  • M
    Participant
    Topics:

Joanne was winning the poll for Pop Vocal Album for months… Only in the last week Divide became the winner

People on here hate Ed Sheeran with a passion. All it takes is a look at his thread to realize that. In my opinion it was just wishful thinking, mainly by people who aren’t serious predictors.

Most serious predictors agreed Ed Sheeran was winning Vocal Album.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

People on here hate Ed Sheeran with a passion. All it takes is a look at his thread to realize that. In my opinion it was just wishful thinking, mainly by people who aren’t serious predictors.

I mean, Ed Sheeran isn’t exactly a great artist, but I think most people are aware of how much the Grammys like him. He got nominated for SOTY with a middling hit, the committee used a loophole to put him in BNA the next year, he got a somewhat surprising AOTY nomination, and then won SOTY the next year.

I think anyone who doubted him two years ago made the mistake of assuming his GF snubs indicated how the voting body at large felt about him.

Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

Barbra Streisand always loses Grammys when she’s nominated for 3 decades now. While Bennett always wins Traditional Pop Vocal Album/Performance, with 13(?) wins and only 3 losses, 2 of them against the same person(Michael Bublé). He even won multiple times for joint albums like CTC. He is an automatic name-check most of the time.

He used to be automatic (5/5 in the 90s, and 5/5 in the 00s).

In this decade he is 3/6. He hasn’t been automatic in a long time.

Being a Grammy darling/favorite is cyclical.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Most of the time. But there was an easy way he and Gaga could have lost. And again, Partners was Barbra’s biggest album since the ’90s, so her bad luck at the Grammys could have easily turned around. But I’m not surprised that you of all people are trying to discredit the win.

I’m just stating the fact that Tony Bennett was winning with or without Gaga. She was completely snubbed for her solo work on the same year. Unless Grammy voters hated her and were willing to vote against Tony just because she was with him, there was no way CTC was losing because he always wins regardless of success, sales, hits, critical acclaim, solo album or not. Of course you know that, that’s why you’re so defensive about it.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m just stating the fact that Tony Bennett was winning with or without Gaga. She was completely snubbed for her solo work on the same year. Unless Grammy voters hated her and were willing to vote against Tony just because she was with him, there was no way CTC was losing because he always wins regardless of success, sales, hits, critical acclaim, solo album or not. Of course you know that, that’s why you’re so defensive about it.

He lost in 2010 and 2014 before Cheek to Cheek won, and lost again this year with another collaborative album, so no, he does not “always win.”

Partners was wildly successful and super baity so yes, Cheek to Cheek could have lost, and there’s even an argument to be made that Gaga’s involvement could have tipped the scales in Bennett’s favor.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

People on here hate Ed Sheeran with a passion. All it takes is a look at his thread to realize that. In my opinion it was just wishful thinking, mainly by people who aren’t serious predictors. Most serious predictors agreed Ed Sheeran was winning Vocal Album.

I know people dislike Sheeran, but the amount of voters Gaga had on that poll was mostly because of her delusional stans(not you) who probably don’t even post on the threads. They did the same on the official poll on the Grammys site, while here on Goldderby’s prediction center, she was third in both categories, and in the threads, almost no one predicted her, if I recall correctly. But it doesn’t matter now.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

He lost in 2010 and 2014 before Cheek to Cheek won, and lost again this year with another collaborative album, so no, he does not “always win.” Partners was wildly successful and super baity so yes, Cheek to Cheek could have lost, and there’s even an argument to be made that Gaga’s involvement could have tipped the scales in Bennett’s favor.

He lost in 2010 and 2014 to Michael Bublé. He didn’t lose in 2012 when Bublé wasn’t nominated, nor in 2015(with Gaga), 2017(with someone else) and 2018(when Bublé was nominated). And in 2018 the album didn’t even count as his win, if that doesn’t prove that the voters just vote for the album with his name on it, I don’t know what does. Tony is heavily favoured by voters, even this year when he lost, his album was the only Pop Traditional Vocal Album nominee with another Pop Field nomination.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

And he has also beat Michael Bublé before, so I’m not sure why you’re pointing out that those two losses were to Bublé. It doesn’t matter who he lost to; he’s not unbeatable.

The only point I was making was that Cheek to Cheek‘s win was not a “gimme” award or by any means a guaranteed win, and of course you’re over here making a big deal about it because anything that gives credit to Lady Gaga has you foaming at the mouth. It’s not a big deal.

Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

These are the albums coming out tonight at midnight:

Iggy Azalea – In My Defense
    Jacob Collier – Djesse, Vol. 2
    Jacquees – Round II
    Nas – The Lost Tapes 2
    Peppa Pig – My First Album
    Sabrina Carpenter – Singular: Act II
    Willow – WILLOW
    Various Artists – The Lion King: The Gift

y'all ugly and smelly

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

And he has also beat Michael Bublé before, so I’m not sure why you’re pointing out that those two losses were to Bublé. It doesn’t matter who he lost to; he’s not unbeatable. The only point I was making was that Cheek to Cheek‘s win was not a “gimme” award or by any means a guaranteed win, and of course you’re over here making a big deal about it because anything that gives credit to Lady Gaga has you foaming at the mouth. It’s not a big deal.

It does matter because he only lost to Bublé. All his other nominations became wins. And the reason Bublé beat him in 2010 and 2014 and wasn’t able to do the same last year was his commercial decline. While Tony never needed success to win.

But why are we discussing this? It’s not important, Gaga has the Grammy anyway, even if it’s thanks to Tony Bennett’s status.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

These are the albums coming out tonight at midnight:

Iggy Azalea – In My Defense
    Jacob Collier – Djesse, Vol. 2
    Jacquees – Round II
    Nas – The Lost Tapes 2
    Peppa Pig – My First Album
    Sabrina Carpenter – Singular: Act II
    Willow – WILLOW
    Various Artists – The Lion King: The Gift

Lowkey hyped for Iggy. I liked Sally Walker.

Collier is coming for more Arrangement Grammy’s.

Peppa is coming for BNA. Stay pressed bitches.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Legit questions: jokes aside, would the Peppa album compete in Children’s Album?

Also, if Jojo Siwa released an album, would she compete there or in Pop Vocal?

Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

ok but watch Peppa outsell The Gift lol

y'all ugly and smelly

Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

Legit questions: jokes aside, would the Peppa album compete in Children’s Album? Also, if Jojo Siwa released an album, would she compete there or in Pop Vocal?

Idk about Peppa most likely.

For Jojo probably children and obviously Album of the Year.

y'all ugly and smelly

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

It does matter because he only lost to Bublé. All his other nominations became wins. And the reason Bublé beat him in 2010 and 2014 and wasn’t able to do the same last year was his commercial decline. While Tony never needed success to win.

And Tony Bennett beat Willie Nelson before only to lose to him this year. What is your point?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 686 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.