Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 648 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +39 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
Pauly Antonio
ELIAS
  • Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Also at this point, no TUN will not be the biggest album of the year. If we’re talking YEC, it’ll most likely be When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go?. It’s having much better longevity than TUN and will probably outsell it very soon.

For singles, it’s not even guaranteed that any of Ariana songs will be in the top 5 to be honest. I think the top 3 will be OTR, Bad Guy and Sunflower.

We can agree that when Dancing With A Stranger, a song older than 7 Rings is charting higher now, Ariana has a longevity problem. She peaked too early this year but what helps her is the lack of competition for nominations.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by M.
    Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

If ‘Truth Hurts’ wins ROTY, it’ll easily also win SOTY.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

And what are you trying to say? Should black urban artists make “safe music” to be accepted by white voters? Rap has been a pioneering, changing genre within the last 5 years. Rather this should be grabbing force when all these genres are grabbing from rap, such as pop, electronic, country, and r&b. That should be a grabbing point for voters.

Didn’t say that. Quit putting words in my mouth.

Profile picture
    Vogue
    Topics:

Also at this point, no TUN will not be the biggest album of the year. If we’re talking YEC, it’ll most likely be When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go?. It’s having much better longevity than TUN and will probably outsell it very soon. For singles, it’s not even guaranteed that any of Ariana songs will be in the top 5 to be honest. I think the top 3 will be OTR, Bad Guy and Sunflower. We can agree that when Dancing With A Stranger, a song older than 7 Rings is charting higher now, Ariana has a longevity problem. She peaked too early this year but what helps her is the lack of competition for nominations.

Ariana doesn’t have any “longevity problem”. Sorry her singles don’t spend months at the top of radio which allow it to spend a year on the chart. Just because something doesn’t spend more than 40 weeks on the chart, does not mean it didn’t have longevity. Start praising those songs for that type of success and stop knocking other artists for not achieving it. I swear it’s like Shallow did an insane amount of weeks and now Ariana is subject to spend at least 40 weeks or its a flop. 7 Rings is on 30 weeks and counting. So please.

Profile picture
    Vogue
    Topics:

Like in what world is spending 25+ weeks on the Hot 100 on average equate to having a “longevity problem”? The amount of goal posts y’all move. It’s one thing after the other.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Didn’t say that. Quit putting words in my mouth.

Then what should these urban artists do then? When similar acts like Kacey Musgraves have advocated for the authenticity of country music and talks about  lack of acceptance for country industry for all minorities, and yet she was accepted with country and crossover voters. She might have  the most “safe” sound but not “safe”  background. Yet many of the Rapper homologize their sound to be the “safe” pick like Kendrick or Drake, yet they aren’t picked like Bruno, Adele, or Taylor.

10/10:

Fetch the Bolt Cutters, After Hours, RTJ4, and What's Your Pleasure?

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Also at this point, no TUN will not be the biggest album of the year. If we’re talking YEC, it’ll most likely be When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go?. It’s having much better longevity than TUN and will probably outsell it very soon. For singles, it’s not even guaranteed that any of Ariana songs will be in the top 5 to be honest. I think the top 3 will be OTR, Bad Guy and Sunflower. We can agree that when Dancing With A Stranger, a song older than 7 Rings is charting higher now, Ariana has a longevity problem. She peaked too early this year but what helps her is the lack of competition for nominations.

You’re point of longevity is invalid, especially when you have heavenly critized Ariana for weeks. Anyhow, we over the moment in music history. Because any pop song can have longevity, but did that song have longevity. This could follow last year’s winner This is America, which dipped in longevity and charts, yet it won of songs that had “longevity” like Gods Plan, Rockstar, The Middle, etc. Old Town Road and Thank U, Next created moments; not just moments in their respective career, but pop moments during the eligibility period. So Thank U, Next should be included in the discussion.

10/10:

Fetch the Bolt Cutters, After Hours, RTJ4, and What's Your Pleasure?

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Then what should these urban artists do then? When similar acts like Kacey Musgraves have advocated for the authenticity of country music and talks about lack of acceptance for country industry for all minorities, and yet she was accepted with country and crossover voters. She might have the most “safe” sound but not “safe” background. Yet many of the Rapper homologize their sound to be the “safe” pick like Kendrick or Drake, yet they aren’t picked like Bruno, Adele, or Taylor.

When artists make art for the sake of art and not for the sake of awards, sales, and other outside validation, it tends to be better.

As far as the Grammys go, there’s not any one winning formula in particular, and hip-hop has won in all four main categories at least once, so it’s possible.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Then what should these urban artists do then? When similar acts like Kacey Musgraves have advocated for the authenticity of country music and talks about lack of acceptance for country industry for all minorities, and yet she was accepted with country and crossover voters. She might have the most “safe” sound but not “safe” background. Yet many of the Rapper homologize their sound to be the “safe” pick like Kendrick or Drake, yet they aren’t picked like Bruno, Adele, or Taylor.

I can see where DC is coming from but this is the crux of what many don’t understand. The goalposts constantly shift for black artists with acclaimed projects every time they lose to something that’s mediocre or by-the-numbers by a white artist. So even though To Pimp a Butterfly was the most acclaimed album of that year with Kendrick having 11 noms and it being so important, it still lost to 1989 because “oh well, sales and accessibility”. Okay.

Kendrick comes out with DAMN two years later and that’s much more accessible than TPAB, sells more, has a #1 single, just as much raves as TPAB and gained him a new audience. He swept the rap field that night and yet lost all of the GF categories to something mediocre (24k Magic), which also won every category it was nominated for. So what was the issue there? Other than genre bias? It’s the same argument used when BEYONCÉ lost to Morning Phase (Beck was an overdue veteran with acclaim). Okay, so Lemonade has even more praise and very good sales (amongst the highest of the year), more of a pop culture movement and still loses to a more accessible, ballad-filled album.

What I’m getting at is that black people usually have to work twice as hard to get credit or recognition. This is evident in all of the awards shows; it is no coincidence that only one black woman has won Best Actress in the 91 years the Oscars have been around (a half-black woman at that with a jezebel performance). Is race always the MAIN factor when it comes to the Grammys? No. But is it an indirect one? Absolutely. It’s much more complex than “WE HATE BLACK PEOPLE”.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

And before we start: yes, Gaga 100% won Pop Solo thanks to A Star is Born.

So if Gaga beat Ariana last year because of ASIB (with a song that wasn’t from the movie), why would Ariana win over her this year with a song that is actually from the movie?

also,

Album of the Year – Cuz I Love You
    Best New Artist – William

What actually…? Unless this prediction is based on the idea that one of them is not nominated in both categories.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Darren.
    Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

This year is so weak I can’t even decide who I think will win ROTY/SOTY 💀. But I’m thinking;

Album: Father of the Bride
    New Artist: Lizzo

Profile picture
    dOminiK13_
    Topics:

“A Star Is Born Soundtrack” has now sold over 2.1 million units in the US!

I hope you don’t say that the album has been forgotten.

Profile picture
    dOminiK13_
    Topics:

I’ll give you that, but the other heavily predicted winners are Billie, who is also a new artist, and Ariana, who would win on her first GF nom. Billie, Lizzo, and Capaldi all have very baity albums, for very different reasons each

you must be sick to say that Ari has real chances of winning AOTY

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 648 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.