Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 683 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 min ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
DC95
Pauly Antonio
  • Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

I pray the Academy showers Billie with every nomination possible because how embarrassing would it be if….nvm.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Billie’s biggest lock is AoTY. I won’t be surprised if she’s shown only a moderate amount of love.

After all she isn’t bound to be one of the biggest stars of the decade. Her voice isn’t particularly versatile. If she releases one or two more albums with the same whispering style people will get tired of her.

She might get the BNA and also get the BNA curse. I can see Lizzo having more longevity in the future.

ReplyCopy URL
    Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

What is ludicrous about Ariana winning a general field award?

If Ariana wins one she would have as many general field awards as Beyoncé and more than Rihanna or Lady Gaga. Even Taylor Swift only has two as she never won record or song. Now I know it’s not a science and not every year is the same. But for a mainstream artist she didn’t really make her era big enough to be competing for a win in the general field imo. Plus she’s still very catered to teens, it’s not like she elevated herself by making some deep and meaningful music. Her album is promoted by a playful song about her exes and a rich bitch anthem.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

What is ludicrous about Ariana winning a general field award?

Girl please I know you’re a stan but…

If she lost to Joanne at a time when she was having the BIGGEST moment of her career with the release of TUN (voters voted when TUN had been #1 for many weeks), you can tell the voters don’t like her that much to award her something in the GF.

Before you say “oh GIAW isn’t from TUN”, neither is Joanne from ASIB.

ReplyCopy URL
    Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Girl please I know you’re a stan but… If she lost to Joanne at a time when she was having the BIGGEST moment of her career with the release of TUN (voters voted when TUN had been #1 for many weeks), you can tell the voters don’t like her that much to award her something in the GF. Before you say “oh GIAW isn’t from TUN”, neither is Joanne from ASIB.

You basically just undermined Gaga’s influence during voting by implying ASIB’s hype wasn’t huge. If voters didn’t like her “that” much, she would’ve lost Pop Vocal Album. She won the category. We know why Joanne won, so I wouldn’t use that as a knock on Ariana.

She has the biggest and one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the year, accompanied by two #1 smash hits. And unlike someone like Drake, she has the acclaim to help her case within the GF. Do I think she wins anything in the General Field? I think there are better bets, but I don’t get calling her General Field Winning chances “ludicrous”, especially when most of y’all have her at #2 or #3 in Album of The Year.

And know, I’m not a stan. I enjoy her music, just like I do with a lot of other artists. Funny how you’re calling me a stan after you harrassed a poster earlier for simply thinking Katy makes better singles than Gaga.

ReplyCopy URL
    Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Like let’s not act clueless. Pop voters were absolutely in love with Gaga last year. The Joanne nomination made sure of that.

I just don’t think voters have this “lack or respect” for Ariana that y’all think they do.

ReplyCopy URL
    Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyways, these are my General Field picks:

AOTY – WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? by Billie Eilish
    ROTY – Truth Hurts by Lizzo
    SOTY – Thank U, Next by Ariana Grande
    BNA  – Billie Eilish

OTR is basically my 1B for Record, though, there’s a possibility it gets completely snubbed from the General Field.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

What I was saying is that TUN’s moment propelled Ariana to win Pop Vocal Album but still fell short of winning Pop Solo Performance.

Sure ASIB was a big moment, but still, musically speaking, Ariana was the one who had the #1 song in the country at the time. It just goes to show that voters don’t care that much about charts. If they find an artist they like more in the lineup, they’ll vote for them regardless, which is why I’m skeptical of Ariana’s chances in the GF. Had she won the two awards, I would’ve considered it a realistic possibility, but no…

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Also at this point, no TUN will not be the biggest album of the year. If we’re talking YEC, it’ll most likely be When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go?. It’s having much better longevity than TUN and will probably outsell it very soon.

For singles, it’s not even guaranteed that any of Ariana songs will be in the top 5 to be honest. I think the top 3 will be OTR, Bad Guy and Sunflower.

We can agree that when Dancing With A Stranger, a song older than 7 Rings is charting higher now, Ariana has a longevity problem. She peaked too early this year but what helps her is the lack of competition for nominations.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

If ‘Truth Hurts’ wins ROTY, it’ll easily also win SOTY.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

And what are you trying to say? Should black urban artists make “safe music” to be accepted by white voters? Rap has been a pioneering, changing genre within the last 5 years. Rather this should be grabbing force when all these genres are grabbing from rap, such as pop, electronic, country, and r&b. That should be a grabbing point for voters.

Didn’t say that. Quit putting words in my mouth.

ReplyCopy URL
    Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Also at this point, no TUN will not be the biggest album of the year. If we’re talking YEC, it’ll most likely be When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go?. It’s having much better longevity than TUN and will probably outsell it very soon. For singles, it’s not even guaranteed that any of Ariana songs will be in the top 5 to be honest. I think the top 3 will be OTR, Bad Guy and Sunflower. We can agree that when Dancing With A Stranger, a song older than 7 Rings is charting higher now, Ariana has a longevity problem. She peaked too early this year but what helps her is the lack of competition for nominations.

Ariana doesn’t have any “longevity problem”. Sorry her singles don’t spend months at the top of radio which allow it to spend a year on the chart. Just because something doesn’t spend more than 40 weeks on the chart, does not mean it didn’t have longevity. Start praising those songs for that type of success and stop knocking other artists for not achieving it. I swear it’s like Shallow did an insane amount of weeks and now Ariana is subject to spend at least 40 weeks or its a flop. 7 Rings is on 30 weeks and counting. So please.

ReplyCopy URL
    Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Like in what world is spending 25+ weeks on the Hot 100 on average equate to having a “longevity problem”? The amount of goal posts y’all move. It’s one thing after the other.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

Didn’t say that. Quit putting words in my mouth.

Then what should these urban artists do then? When similar acts like Kacey Musgraves have advocated for the authenticity of country music and talks about  lack of acceptance for country industry for all minorities, and yet she was accepted with country and crossover voters. She might have  the most “safe” sound but not “safe”  background. Yet many of the Rapper homologize their sound to be the “safe” pick like Kendrick or Drake, yet they aren’t picked like Bruno, Adele, or Taylor.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

Also at this point, no TUN will not be the biggest album of the year. If we’re talking YEC, it’ll most likely be When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go?. It’s having much better longevity than TUN and will probably outsell it very soon. For singles, it’s not even guaranteed that any of Ariana songs will be in the top 5 to be honest. I think the top 3 will be OTR, Bad Guy and Sunflower. We can agree that when Dancing With A Stranger, a song older than 7 Rings is charting higher now, Ariana has a longevity problem. She peaked too early this year but what helps her is the lack of competition for nominations.

You’re point of longevity is invalid, especially when you have heavenly critized Ariana for weeks. Anyhow, we over the moment in music history. Because any pop song can have longevity, but did that song have longevity. This could follow last year’s winner This is America, which dipped in longevity and charts, yet it won of songs that had “longevity” like Gods Plan, Rockstar, The Middle, etc. Old Town Road and Thank U, Next created moments; not just moments in their respective career, but pop moments during the eligibility period. So Thank U, Next should be included in the discussion.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 683 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.