Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 687 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
Darren
Pauly Antonio
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Then what should these urban artists do then? When similar acts like Kacey Musgraves have advocated for the authenticity of country music and talks about lack of acceptance for country industry for all minorities, and yet she was accepted with country and crossover voters. She might have the most “safe” sound but not “safe” background. Yet many of the Rapper homologize their sound to be the “safe” pick like Kendrick or Drake, yet they aren’t picked like Bruno, Adele, or Taylor.

When artists make art for the sake of art and not for the sake of awards, sales, and other outside validation, it tends to be better.

As far as the Grammys go, there’s not any one winning formula in particular, and hip-hop has won in all four main categories at least once, so it’s possible.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Then what should these urban artists do then? When similar acts like Kacey Musgraves have advocated for the authenticity of country music and talks about lack of acceptance for country industry for all minorities, and yet she was accepted with country and crossover voters. She might have the most “safe” sound but not “safe” background. Yet many of the Rapper homologize their sound to be the “safe” pick like Kendrick or Drake, yet they aren’t picked like Bruno, Adele, or Taylor.

I can see where DC is coming from but this is the crux of what many don’t understand. The goalposts constantly shift for black artists with acclaimed projects every time they lose to something that’s mediocre or by-the-numbers by a white artist. So even though To Pimp a Butterfly was the most acclaimed album of that year with Kendrick having 11 noms and it being so important, it still lost to 1989 because “oh well, sales and accessibility”. Okay.

Kendrick comes out with DAMN two years later and that’s much more accessible than TPAB, sells more, has a #1 single, just as much raves as TPAB and gained him a new audience. He swept the rap field that night and yet lost all of the GF categories to something mediocre (24k Magic), which also won every category it was nominated for. So what was the issue there? Other than genre bias? It’s the same argument used when BEYONCÉ lost to Morning Phase (Beck was an overdue veteran with acclaim). Okay, so Lemonade has even more praise and very good sales (amongst the highest of the year), more of a pop culture movement and still loses to a more accessible, ballad-filled album.

What I’m getting at is that black people usually have to work twice as hard to get credit or recognition. This is evident in all of the awards shows; it is no coincidence that only one black woman has won Best Actress in the 91 years the Oscars have been around (a half-black woman at that with a jezebel performance). Is race always the MAIN factor when it comes to the Grammys? No. But is it an indirect one? Absolutely. It’s much more complex than “WE HATE BLACK PEOPLE”.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

They don’t hate black people (and nobody said they do, but okay).

The problem with these statements, though, is that by saying they dislike hip-hop and R&B, you are unconciously saying that they do have a racial bias. Hip Hop and R&B are predominantly black genres, and it’s no surprise that the only albums and songs that win in the GF by black artists are safe and often generic; meanwhile, the political ones that speak on racism, or issues regarding it, get pushed aside.

And no, I’m not buying the whole coincidence argument either. Voters are supposed and expected to listen to the albums, and if they don’t then that just shows the mediocrity of the Recording Academy voters – who are, surprise surprise, mostly white and old.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

On the topic of Ariana (again), y’all are reaching. I’m personally not predicting her to win anything other than Pop Solo (though she’s my second pick for Song of the Year), but the arguments presented here are so bland that they clearly show bias.

No. Voters do not give a flying fuck about who won the award and who didn’t, so saying that they won’t give it to Ariana because “Gaga has never won” is a new level of stupidity. If they cared so much about Gaga, she would’ve won. Period.

The only argument that makes sense is that her music is not Grammy bait, which is completely valid and true. That said, she’s 6 noms deep in the Pop field, and she’s been nominated over bigger albums/songs by heavyweights in the past. She also managed to get noms while still being a teen pop star.

And before we start: yes, Gaga 100% won Pop Solo thanks to A Star is Born. Pop voters probably wanted a sweep (they seem to like those), and some voters could’ve even gotten confused when voting or just name-checked her. The Netflix special might’ve helped a bit, but ASIB was it’s driving factor. Saying otherwise would be delusional.

That said, my GF predictions:
    Album of the Year – A Star is Born (if nominated)/Cuz I Love You
    Record of the Year – Sunflower
    Song of the Year – Someone You Loved
    Best New Artist – William

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

And before we start: yes, Gaga 100% won Pop Solo thanks to A Star is Born.

So if Gaga beat Ariana last year because of ASIB (with a song that wasn’t from the movie), why would Ariana win over her this year with a song that is actually from the movie?

also,

Album of the Year – Cuz I Love You
    Best New Artist – William

What actually…? Unless this prediction is based on the idea that one of them is not nominated in both categories.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Darren.
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

This year is so weak I can’t even decide who I think will win ROTY/SOTY 💀. But I’m thinking;

Album: Father of the Bride
    New Artist: Lizzo

dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

“A Star Is Born Soundtrack” has now sold over 2.1 million units in the US!

I hope you don’t say that the album has been forgotten.

dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll give you that, but the other heavily predicted winners are Billie, who is also a new artist, and Ariana, who would win on her first GF nom. Billie, Lizzo, and Capaldi all have very baity albums, for very different reasons each

you must be sick to say that Ari has real chances of winning AOTY

Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

I can see where DC is coming from but this is the crux of what many don’t understand. The goalposts constantly shift for black artists with acclaimed projects every time they lose to something that’s mediocre or by-the-numbers by a white artist. So even though To Pimp a Butterfly was the most acclaimed album of that year with Kendrick having 11 noms and it being so important, it still lost to 1989 because “oh well, sales and accessibility”. Okay. Kendrick comes out with DAMN two years later and that’s much more accessible than TPAB, sells more, has a #1 single, just as much raves as TPAB and gained him a new audience. He swept the rap field that night and yet lost all of the GF categories to something mediocre (24k Magic), which also won every category it was nominated for. So what was the issue there? Other than genre bias? It’s the same argument used when BEYONCÉ lost to Morning Phase (Beck was an overdue veteran with acclaim). Okay, so Lemonade has even more praise and very good sales (amongst the highest of the year), more of a pop culture movement and still loses to a more accessible, ballad-filled album. What I’m getting at is that black people usually have to work twice as hard to get credit or recognition. This is evident in all of the awards shows; it is no coincidence that only one black woman has won Best Actress in the 91 years the Oscars have been around (a half-black woman at that with a jezebel performance). Is race always the MAIN factor when it comes to the Grammys? No. But is it an indirect one? Absolutely. It’s much more complex than “WE HATE BLACK PEOPLE”.

Preach Bee! Again, I definitely don’t have a problem with white people winning, especially Kacey and Arcade Fire, especially if it’s good. But if minorities or sexual identities are represented for their art, why are we celebrating them? You know? For all those Frank Ocean’s, Drake’s, Beyoncé’s, Kendrick’s, Jay-Z’s or Kanye West’s who feel that they aren’t able to be regulated to the genre catagories despite critical or commercial success.

Barnacles Bro

dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana and Lizzo aren’t winning AOTY. Billie could, depending on what the competition looks like. It’s safe to say Billie and Lizzo are both getting in (either would be a massive snub), and we all know Grammy voters are more likely to pick the pop/alternative singer-songwriter over the R&B/pop/hip-hop artist. So if it comes down to the two of them, we all know who would have the edge. Especially since Billie is more popular. Either would be deserving (although I have a softer spot for When We All Fall Asleep…, which is a stunning record), but let’s be realistic.

I believe Lizzo has a better chance than Billie.

queenb
    Participant
    Topics:

And know, I’m not a stan. I enjoy her music, just like I do with a lot of other artists.

Girl…

dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

I only expect Billie Eilish to win Best new artist and ROTY. But, she wont win AOTY especially Ariana Grande because Taylor Swift is coming back to avenge from last year’s shocking AOTY snub with Lover(which it will likely be 1989/speak now vibes album).

💀😂

Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Imo, I would have A Star is Born Soundtrack #1 in my predictions, if only the fact it didn’t win SOTY. No voter really cares about chart position. Look previously to 24k winning ROTY over Despacito, a 16 week, chart topping monster. As my shoe win for SOTY, and my personal pick for the award last year out of the 8 (maybe The Joke, but out of those 2). But it didn’t win.  I think with the new artists like Lizzo or Billie, we don’t lnow until eligiblity, but for AOTY as of now Gaga beats Ariana and Billie beats Gaga.</p>

Barnacles Bro

dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

. And before we start: yes, Gaga 100% won Pop Solo thanks to A Star is Born.  

and sweetener only managed to win because of Pharrell 😉

queenb
    Participant
    Topics:

And before we start: yes, Gaga 100% won Pop Solo thanks to A Star is Born. Pop voters probably wanted a sweep (they seem to like those), and some voters could’ve even gotten confused when voting or just name-checked her. The Netflix special might’ve helped a bit, but ASIB was it’s driving factor. Saying otherwise would be delusional. That said, my GF predictions: Album of the Year – A Star is Born (if nominated)/Cuz I Love You Record of the Year – Sunflower Song of the Year – Someone You Loved Best New Artist – William

One could argue then that Ariana only won because of the start of the TUN era.

One could argue the start of the TUN era was bigger/on par in the music world than ASIB and should have been able to counteract whatever hype ASIB was giving Gaga.

And why didn’t the ASIB propel Shallow to win at least one of the two GF nominations?

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 687 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.