Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 648 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +39 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
Darren
Pauly Antonio
  • ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

I can see where DC is coming from but this is the crux of what many don’t understand. The goalposts constantly shift for black artists with acclaimed projects every time they lose to something that’s mediocre or by-the-numbers by a white artist. So even though To Pimp a Butterfly was the most acclaimed album of that year with Kendrick having 11 noms and it being so important, it still lost to 1989 because “oh well, sales and accessibility”. Okay. Kendrick comes out with DAMN two years later and that’s much more accessible than TPAB, sells more, has a #1 single, just as much raves as TPAB and gained him a new audience. He swept the rap field that night and yet lost all of the GF categories to something mediocre (24k Magic), which also won every category it was nominated for. So what was the issue there? Other than genre bias? It’s the same argument used when BEYONCÉ lost to Morning Phase (Beck was an overdue veteran with acclaim). Okay, so Lemonade has even more praise and very good sales (amongst the highest of the year), more of a pop culture movement and still loses to a more accessible, ballad-filled album. What I’m getting at is that black people usually have to work twice as hard to get credit or recognition. This is evident in all of the awards shows; it is no coincidence that only one black woman has won Best Actress in the 91 years the Oscars have been around (a half-black woman at that with a jezebel performance). Is race always the MAIN factor when it comes to the Grammys? No. But is it an indirect one? Absolutely. It’s much more complex than “WE HATE BLACK PEOPLE”.

Preach Bee! Again, I definitely don’t have a problem with white people winning, especially Kacey and Arcade Fire, especially if it’s good. But if minorities or sexual identities are represented for their art, why are we celebrating them? You know? For all those Frank Ocean’s, Drake’s, Beyoncé’s, Kendrick’s, Jay-Z’s or Kanye West’s who feel that they aren’t able to be regulated to the genre catagories despite critical or commercial success.

Barnacles Bro

dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana and Lizzo aren’t winning AOTY. Billie could, depending on what the competition looks like. It’s safe to say Billie and Lizzo are both getting in (either would be a massive snub), and we all know Grammy voters are more likely to pick the pop/alternative singer-songwriter over the R&B/pop/hip-hop artist. So if it comes down to the two of them, we all know who would have the edge. Especially since Billie is more popular. Either would be deserving (although I have a softer spot for When We All Fall Asleep…, which is a stunning record), but let’s be realistic.

I believe Lizzo has a better chance than Billie.

queenb
    Participant
    Topics:

And know, I’m not a stan. I enjoy her music, just like I do with a lot of other artists.

Girl…

dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

I only expect Billie Eilish to win Best new artist and ROTY. But, she wont win AOTY especially Ariana Grande because Taylor Swift is coming back to avenge from last year’s shocking AOTY snub with Lover(which it will likely be 1989/speak now vibes album).

💀😂

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Imo, I would have A Star is Born Soundtrack #1 in my predictions, if only the fact it didn’t win SOTY. No voter really cares about chart position. Look previously to 24k winning ROTY over Despacito, a 16 week, chart topping monster. As my shoe win for SOTY, and my personal pick for the award last year out of the 8 (maybe The Joke, but out of those 2). But it didn’t win.  I think with the new artists like Lizzo or Billie, we don’t lnow until eligiblity, but for AOTY as of now Gaga beats Ariana and Billie beats Gaga.</p>

Barnacles Bro

dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

. And before we start: yes, Gaga 100% won Pop Solo thanks to A Star is Born.  

and sweetener only managed to win because of Pharrell 😉

queenb
    Participant
    Topics:

And before we start: yes, Gaga 100% won Pop Solo thanks to A Star is Born. Pop voters probably wanted a sweep (they seem to like those), and some voters could’ve even gotten confused when voting or just name-checked her. The Netflix special might’ve helped a bit, but ASIB was it’s driving factor. Saying otherwise would be delusional. That said, my GF predictions: Album of the Year – A Star is Born (if nominated)/Cuz I Love You Record of the Year – Sunflower Song of the Year – Someone You Loved Best New Artist – William

One could argue then that Ariana only won because of the start of the TUN era.

One could argue the start of the TUN era was bigger/on par in the music world than ASIB and should have been able to counteract whatever hype ASIB was giving Gaga.

And why didn’t the ASIB propel Shallow to win at least one of the two GF nominations?

dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

One could argue then that Ariana only won because of the start of the TUN era. One could argue the start of the TUN era was bigger/on par in the music world than ASIB and should have been able to counteract whatever hype ASIB was giving Gaga. And why didn’t the ASIB propel Shallow to win at least one of the two GF nominations?

shallow was not half as strong as it is today

Also, in my view TIA won so they could clean up the racist image.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Said it before and I’ll say it again – “This Is America” was “Formation”, but bigger, less controversial, and without a hit like “Hello” standing in its way.

Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s not a race issue but a genre bias which is why even Eminem has gone 0 and 3 in AOTY. Most voters prefer something that appeals to them which is usually pop/rock. Most voters are musicians/songwriters so they prefer those types of artists. While there is no correct formula that let’s us be able to predict the winner, we can see that every winner has been a songwriter/musician. Someone who composes music, melodies, and plays instruments. A lot of rappers, while they write their own lyrics, don’t play instruments nor compose music. Bruno Mars, Childish Gambino, Andre 3000, and Lauryn Hill can/do. I’m not saying it’s bad to not be able to do it, but it definitely is something voters prefer based on history. Dance music is similar in that a lot of the sounds are created by computers as oppose to the traditional way, hence why dance has not done well either in the GF and has done worst than hip hop and contemporary R&B. No one really cares about dance music here but it falls into the same boat. Music that is not made the “traditional way” by “musicians” Look at every AOTY winner in the last 30 years and only 2 don’t fall into that category.

dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Although all the arguments against ASIB, it is really very difficult to imagine the voters choosing another album. ASIB is the rock-pop-country ensemble they love so much, has positive reviews, many awards, is the best selling album of the period. ASIB is a Grammy magnet in every way.</p>
    I may be being blind, and failing to see enough negative points to prevent Gaga’s victory, but ASIB is certainly a worthy album.

obviously I have other albums that I believe can win as IGOR, Cuz I Love U etc.

abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

The amount of excuses some of you have come up with to belittle Ariana’s win is unbelievable.

Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

Said it before and I’ll say it again – “This Is America” was “Formation”, but bigger, less controversial, and without a hit like “Hello” standing in its way.

Really? I would say “This is America” is more controversial. The lyrics are more direct and less subtle and it even includes gun shots.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

One could argue then that Ariana only won because of the start of the TUN era.

One could argue the start of the TUN era was bigger/on par in the music world than ASIB and should have been able to counteract whatever hype ASIB was giving Gaga.

And why didn’t the ASIB propel Shallow to win at least one of the two GF nominations?

Thank U Next wasn’t the reason Ariana won. It definitely amped her visibility, but if they knew thank u next was going to be a huge era, then why vote for Sweetener? I long predicted her to win before that song was even a thing, as did many posters. She had the acclaim, the streams, and the overall popularity to win – plus, Sweetener was the best album on that lineup according to critics. The only real competition was Taylor, and as soon as Delicate got snubbed, it was a clear path for her to win. Thank U, Next only served to keep her in the public eye.

To the last question: This is America is baity. It’s easy to listen, it had an acclaimed video, and most importantly it was a big hit that got votes from all voting blocks. Formation was never a big hit, and Alright also lacked that. Childish Gambino being a new Grammy darling has nothing to do with A Star Is Born – both were loved by them.

Sidenote: to the question “Why wouldn’t Gaga win again this year?” The answer is simple: voters move on from trends.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Really? I would say “This is America” is more controversial. The lyrics are more direct and less subtle and it even includes gun shots.

The song itself has no gunshots. Only the video version has.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 648 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.