Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 679 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 hours ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
DC95
Pauly Antonio
  • dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

One could argue then that Ariana only won because of the start of the TUN era. One could argue the start of the TUN era was bigger/on par in the music world than ASIB and should have been able to counteract whatever hype ASIB was giving Gaga. And why didn’t the ASIB propel Shallow to win at least one of the two GF nominations?

shallow was not half as strong as it is today

Also, in my view TIA won so they could clean up the racist image.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Said it before and I’ll say it again – “This Is America” was “Formation”, but bigger, less controversial, and without a hit like “Hello” standing in its way.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s not a race issue but a genre bias which is why even Eminem has gone 0 and 3 in AOTY. Most voters prefer something that appeals to them which is usually pop/rock. Most voters are musicians/songwriters so they prefer those types of artists. While there is no correct formula that let’s us be able to predict the winner, we can see that every winner has been a songwriter/musician. Someone who composes music, melodies, and plays instruments. A lot of rappers, while they write their own lyrics, don’t play instruments nor compose music. Bruno Mars, Childish Gambino, Andre 3000, and Lauryn Hill can/do. I’m not saying it’s bad to not be able to do it, but it definitely is something voters prefer based on history. Dance music is similar in that a lot of the sounds are created by computers as oppose to the traditional way, hence why dance has not done well either in the GF and has done worst than hip hop and contemporary R&B. No one really cares about dance music here but it falls into the same boat. Music that is not made the “traditional way” by “musicians” Look at every AOTY winner in the last 30 years and only 2 don’t fall into that category.

ReplyCopy URL
    dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Although all the arguments against ASIB, it is really very difficult to imagine the voters choosing another album. ASIB is the rock-pop-country ensemble they love so much, has positive reviews, many awards, is the best selling album of the period. ASIB is a Grammy magnet in every way.</p>
    I may be being blind, and failing to see enough negative points to prevent Gaga’s victory, but ASIB is certainly a worthy album.

obviously I have other albums that I believe can win as IGOR, Cuz I Love U etc.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

The amount of excuses some of you have come up with to belittle Ariana’s win is unbelievable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

Said it before and I’ll say it again – “This Is America” was “Formation”, but bigger, less controversial, and without a hit like “Hello” standing in its way.

Really? I would say “This is America” is more controversial. The lyrics are more direct and less subtle and it even includes gun shots.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

One could argue then that Ariana only won because of the start of the TUN era.

One could argue the start of the TUN era was bigger/on par in the music world than ASIB and should have been able to counteract whatever hype ASIB was giving Gaga.

And why didn’t the ASIB propel Shallow to win at least one of the two GF nominations?

Thank U Next wasn’t the reason Ariana won. It definitely amped her visibility, but if they knew thank u next was going to be a huge era, then why vote for Sweetener? I long predicted her to win before that song was even a thing, as did many posters. She had the acclaim, the streams, and the overall popularity to win – plus, Sweetener was the best album on that lineup according to critics. The only real competition was Taylor, and as soon as Delicate got snubbed, it was a clear path for her to win. Thank U, Next only served to keep her in the public eye.

To the last question: This is America is baity. It’s easy to listen, it had an acclaimed video, and most importantly it was a big hit that got votes from all voting blocks. Formation was never a big hit, and Alright also lacked that. Childish Gambino being a new Grammy darling has nothing to do with A Star Is Born – both were loved by them.

Sidenote: to the question “Why wouldn’t Gaga win again this year?” The answer is simple: voters move on from trends.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Really? I would say “This is America” is more controversial. The lyrics are more direct and less subtle and it even includes gun shots.

The song itself has no gunshots. Only the video version has.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

It wasn’t controversial because it didn’t really anger or upset anyone. No one was outraged over it. Likely because the song/video draws attention to the fact that there is a problem with gun violence in America… which everyone, regardless of political affiliation, can acknowledge. It doesn’t do much in the way of offering solutions or using divisive political imagery.

Meanwhile, Beyoncé’s “Formation” video took a firm Black Lives Matter stance (which, although it shouldn’t be, has become a partisan issue) and then there was the Super Bowl performance where she appropriated Black Panther Party imagery, which was very controversial.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this year is different. Lizzo can definitely play the flute. I mean look at her BET Performance! And Tyler almost did EVERYTHING in his foresaid album. Both have a chance in AOTY if nominated.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  mcm.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  mcm.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Sidenote: to the question “Why wouldn’t Gaga win again this year?” The answer is simple: voters move on from trends.

They can, they don’t always. And that isn’t really a great explanation for why Ariana, a 1-time Grammy winner, supposedly has a better shot than Gaga, a 9-time Grammy winner who just beat her in the same category this past year (and won a total of 3 Grammys this year).

“Always Remember Us This Way”/”I’ll Never Love Again” and “Bad Guy” are both ahead of whatever song Ariana enters, especially because the latter is a more recent hit while “Thank U, Next” and “7 Rings” are both old news.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

What actually…? Unless this prediction is based on the idea that one of them is not nominated in both categories.

Artists have lost BNA while winning AOTY before. And hell, even this year H.E.R lost BNA *despite* havijg an AOTY nom, which should’ve propelled her chances. Lizzo could split votes with other R&B/hip hop stars, meanwhile Billie will have Rock, Alternative, Pop and even Electronic voters on her side.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Artists have lost BNA while winning AOTY before. And hell, even this year H.E.R lost BNA *despite* havijg an AOTY nom, which should’ve propelled her chances.

Alanis Morissette is the only artist who lost Best New Artist but won Album of the Year the same year, and that was because Hootie & The Blowfish, who were massive at the time, were nominated in BNA and didn’t have an album eligible for AOTY.

Similarly, H.E.R. had an AOTY nomination, but lost to Dua Lipa, who did not have an album in contention this year. And just because she got an AOTY nomination doesn’t mean that some of her other competitors (Chloe x Halle, Margo Price, Bebe Rexha, Jorja Smith) weren’t in the top 20 as well. H.E.R. could have simply gotten the luck of the draw in the committee polling – like Post Malone, who got in AOTY over Ariana Grande despite missing a Pop Vocal Album nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana doesn’t have any “longevity problem”. Sorry her singles don’t spend months at the top of radio which allow it to spend a year on the chart. Just because something doesn’t spend more than 40 weeks on the chart, does not mean it didn’t have longevity. Start praising those songs for that type of success and stop knocking other artists for not achieving it. I swear it’s like Shallow did an insane amount of weeks and now Ariana is subject to spend at least 40 weeks or its a flop. 7 Rings is on 30 weeks and counting. So please.

I love how y’all mainly blame the radios for lack of the longevity when they’re actually what made TUN and 7 Rings a hit. The moment radios reduced support they fell down pretty quickly.

And yes you can have longevity WITHOUT radio. Sunflower is #11 on BB100, without radio support, OTR is still #1 without radio support and many other examples. Why? Because they’re still being streamed and sold.

You guys need to admit that yes TUN and 7 Rings don’t have as much of a longevity as many of the other contenders this year. You can’t compare it to This Is America. TIA’s longevity didn’t matter because the song was a sensation that addressed the biggest political crisis in the U.S, and the song is still culturally relevant even as recently as last weekend. What are voters going to still be excited about 7 Rings and TUN for lol? Ariana’s ponytail?

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

They can, they don’t always. And that isn’t really a great explanation for why Ariana, a 1-time Grammy winner, supposedly has a better shot than Gaga, a 9-time Grammy winner who just beat her in the same category this past year (and won a total of 3 Grammys this year).

“Always Remember Us This Way”/”I’ll Never Love Again” and “Bad Guy” are both ahead of whatever song Ariana enters, especially because the latter is a more recent hit while “Thank U, Next” and “7 Rings” are both old news.

Ariana was able to win against a 10x Grammy winner and 2x AOTY winner, a 3x winner, and another 3x winner that’s also beloved by Pop voters, all while having less sales than the first two and no previous wins. Gaga having 9 trophies means absolutely nothing.

I’m not going to get into the whole Bad Guy debate because we’ve already established you’re being delusional and over-predicting Billie. Bad Guy won’t win Record or Pop Solo.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.