Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 648 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
( +39 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
DYNASTY
ELIAS
  • Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Really? I would say “This is America” is more controversial. The lyrics are more direct and less subtle and it even includes gun shots.

It wasn’t controversial because it didn’t really anger or upset anyone. No one was outraged over it. Likely because the song/video draws attention to the fact that there is a problem with gun violence in America… which everyone, regardless of political affiliation, can acknowledge. It doesn’t do much in the way of offering solutions or using divisive political imagery.

Meanwhile, Beyoncé’s “Formation” video took a firm Black Lives Matter stance (which, although it shouldn’t be, has become a partisan issue) and then there was the Super Bowl performance where she appropriated Black Panther Party imagery, which was very controversial.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

I think this year is different. Lizzo can definitely play the flute. I mean look at her BET Performance! And Tyler almost did EVERYTHING in his foresaid album. Both have a chance in AOTY if nominated.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by ELIAS.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by ELIAS.

FYC:
    AOTY: Fetch the Bolt Cutters or After Hours
    ROTY & SOTY: Blinding Lights & Don’t Start Now
    BNA: Megan Thee Stallion or Rina Sawayama
    Rap Album: RTJ4
    Country Album: Gaslighter
    Americana Album: Reunions
    Pop Album: SAWAYAMA
    Rock Album: The New Abnormal
    R&B Performance: Do It

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Sidenote: to the question “Why wouldn’t Gaga win again this year?” The answer is simple: voters move on from trends.

They can, they don’t always. And that isn’t really a great explanation for why Ariana, a 1-time Grammy winner, supposedly has a better shot than Gaga, a 9-time Grammy winner who just beat her in the same category this past year (and won a total of 3 Grammys this year).

“Always Remember Us This Way”/”I’ll Never Love Again” and “Bad Guy” are both ahead of whatever song Ariana enters, especially because the latter is a more recent hit while “Thank U, Next” and “7 Rings” are both old news.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Artists have lost BNA while winning AOTY before. And hell, even this year H.E.R lost BNA *despite* havijg an AOTY nom, which should’ve propelled her chances.

Alanis Morissette is the only artist who lost Best New Artist but won Album of the Year the same year, and that was because Hootie & The Blowfish, who were massive at the time, were nominated in BNA and didn’t have an album eligible for AOTY.

Similarly, H.E.R. had an AOTY nomination, but lost to Dua Lipa, who did not have an album in contention this year. And just because she got an AOTY nomination doesn’t mean that some of her other competitors (Chloe x Halle, Margo Price, Bebe Rexha, Jorja Smith) weren’t in the top 20 as well. H.E.R. could have simply gotten the luck of the draw in the committee polling – like Post Malone, who got in AOTY over Ariana Grande despite missing a Pop Vocal Album nomination.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Ariana doesn’t have any “longevity problem”. Sorry her singles don’t spend months at the top of radio which allow it to spend a year on the chart. Just because something doesn’t spend more than 40 weeks on the chart, does not mean it didn’t have longevity. Start praising those songs for that type of success and stop knocking other artists for not achieving it. I swear it’s like Shallow did an insane amount of weeks and now Ariana is subject to spend at least 40 weeks or its a flop. 7 Rings is on 30 weeks and counting. So please.

I love how y’all mainly blame the radios for lack of the longevity when they’re actually what made TUN and 7 Rings a hit. The moment radios reduced support they fell down pretty quickly.

And yes you can have longevity WITHOUT radio. Sunflower is #11 on BB100, without radio support, OTR is still #1 without radio support and many other examples. Why? Because they’re still being streamed and sold.

You guys need to admit that yes TUN and 7 Rings don’t have as much of a longevity as many of the other contenders this year. You can’t compare it to This Is America. TIA’s longevity didn’t matter because the song was a sensation that addressed the biggest political crisis in the U.S, and the song is still culturally relevant even as recently as last weekend. What are voters going to still be excited about 7 Rings and TUN for lol? Ariana’s ponytail?

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I’m not going to get into the whole Bad Guy debate because we’ve already established you’re being delusional and over-predicting Billie. Bad Guy won’t win Record or Pop Solo.

How is predicting “Bad Guy” to win Pop Solo Performance delusional and predicting “7 Rings” or “Thank U, Next” isn’t?

“Bad Guy” is shaping up to be a bigger hit than either of those songs (along with Billie’s album on track to end up bigger than Ariana’s), and alternative-leaning hits have a good track record in the pop field.

Profile picture
    Pauly Antonio
    Topics:

Sunflower is #11 on BB100, without radio support, OTR is still #1 without radio support and many other examples. Why? Because they’re still being streamed and sold.  

Please tell me which stations you’re listening to because i’m still hearing Sunflower and OTR constantly.

y'all ugly and smelly

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    JasonLannister
    Topics:

You people in the US tend to put race everywhere, that’s kind of weird for me.

The case is much more of a genre bias than racism. Aretha, Whitney, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Louis Armstrong, James Brown, Chuck Berry, Ella Fitzgerald, Tina Turner, Etta James and many more. The legacy of these people is bigger than most white singers. But what they have in common besides extremely success? They don’t sing hip hop.

The genre is dominant now but it wasn’t in the past, it’s not the kind of music people used to care. Hip hop is popular now, is popular among young people and that’s it, so don’t expect the Grammys to change fast.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I’m not delusional just because of your failure to see Ariana’s vulnerabilities. She wins one Grammy in a weak year, and all of a sudden, she’s an unstoppable force in Pop Solo with one of 2 early-year hits that have fizzled out? Comical. That prediction will come back to bite you later.

Profile picture
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 648 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.