Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 648 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +39 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
Darren
Pauly Antonio
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Really? I would say “This is America” is more controversial. The lyrics are more direct and less subtle and it even includes gun shots.

It wasn’t controversial because it didn’t really anger or upset anyone. No one was outraged over it. Likely because the song/video draws attention to the fact that there is a problem with gun violence in America… which everyone, regardless of political affiliation, can acknowledge. It doesn’t do much in the way of offering solutions or using divisive political imagery.

Meanwhile, Beyoncé’s “Formation” video took a firm Black Lives Matter stance (which, although it shouldn’t be, has become a partisan issue) and then there was the Super Bowl performance where she appropriated Black Panther Party imagery, which was very controversial.

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this year is different. Lizzo can definitely play the flute. I mean look at her BET Performance! And Tyler almost did EVERYTHING in his foresaid album. Both have a chance in AOTY if nominated.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  ELIAS.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by  ELIAS.

Barnacles Bro

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Sidenote: to the question “Why wouldn’t Gaga win again this year?” The answer is simple: voters move on from trends.

They can, they don’t always. And that isn’t really a great explanation for why Ariana, a 1-time Grammy winner, supposedly has a better shot than Gaga, a 9-time Grammy winner who just beat her in the same category this past year (and won a total of 3 Grammys this year).

“Always Remember Us This Way”/”I’ll Never Love Again” and “Bad Guy” are both ahead of whatever song Ariana enters, especially because the latter is a more recent hit while “Thank U, Next” and “7 Rings” are both old news.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

What actually…? Unless this prediction is based on the idea that one of them is not nominated in both categories.

Artists have lost BNA while winning AOTY before. And hell, even this year H.E.R lost BNA *despite* havijg an AOTY nom, which should’ve propelled her chances. Lizzo could split votes with other R&B/hip hop stars, meanwhile Billie will have Rock, Alternative, Pop and even Electronic voters on her side.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Artists have lost BNA while winning AOTY before. And hell, even this year H.E.R lost BNA *despite* havijg an AOTY nom, which should’ve propelled her chances.

Alanis Morissette is the only artist who lost Best New Artist but won Album of the Year the same year, and that was because Hootie & The Blowfish, who were massive at the time, were nominated in BNA and didn’t have an album eligible for AOTY.

Similarly, H.E.R. had an AOTY nomination, but lost to Dua Lipa, who did not have an album in contention this year. And just because she got an AOTY nomination doesn’t mean that some of her other competitors (Chloe x Halle, Margo Price, Bebe Rexha, Jorja Smith) weren’t in the top 20 as well. H.E.R. could have simply gotten the luck of the draw in the committee polling – like Post Malone, who got in AOTY over Ariana Grande despite missing a Pop Vocal Album nomination.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana doesn’t have any “longevity problem”. Sorry her singles don’t spend months at the top of radio which allow it to spend a year on the chart. Just because something doesn’t spend more than 40 weeks on the chart, does not mean it didn’t have longevity. Start praising those songs for that type of success and stop knocking other artists for not achieving it. I swear it’s like Shallow did an insane amount of weeks and now Ariana is subject to spend at least 40 weeks or its a flop. 7 Rings is on 30 weeks and counting. So please.

I love how y’all mainly blame the radios for lack of the longevity when they’re actually what made TUN and 7 Rings a hit. The moment radios reduced support they fell down pretty quickly.

And yes you can have longevity WITHOUT radio. Sunflower is #11 on BB100, without radio support, OTR is still #1 without radio support and many other examples. Why? Because they’re still being streamed and sold.

You guys need to admit that yes TUN and 7 Rings don’t have as much of a longevity as many of the other contenders this year. You can’t compare it to This Is America. TIA’s longevity didn’t matter because the song was a sensation that addressed the biggest political crisis in the U.S, and the song is still culturally relevant even as recently as last weekend. What are voters going to still be excited about 7 Rings and TUN for lol? Ariana’s ponytail?

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

They can, they don’t always. And that isn’t really a great explanation for why Ariana, a 1-time Grammy winner, supposedly has a better shot than Gaga, a 9-time Grammy winner who just beat her in the same category this past year (and won a total of 3 Grammys this year).

“Always Remember Us This Way”/”I’ll Never Love Again” and “Bad Guy” are both ahead of whatever song Ariana enters, especially because the latter is a more recent hit while “Thank U, Next” and “7 Rings” are both old news.

Ariana was able to win against a 10x Grammy winner and 2x AOTY winner, a 3x winner, and another 3x winner that’s also beloved by Pop voters, all while having less sales than the first two and no previous wins. Gaga having 9 trophies means absolutely nothing.

I’m not going to get into the whole Bad Guy debate because we’ve already established you’re being delusional and over-predicting Billie. Bad Guy won’t win Record or Pop Solo.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not going to get into the whole Bad Guy debate because we’ve already established you’re being delusional and over-predicting Billie. Bad Guy won’t win Record or Pop Solo.

How is predicting “Bad Guy” to win Pop Solo Performance delusional and predicting “7 Rings” or “Thank U, Next” isn’t?

“Bad Guy” is shaping up to be a bigger hit than either of those songs (along with Billie’s album on track to end up bigger than Ariana’s), and alternative-leaning hits have a good track record in the pop field.

Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

Sunflower is #11 on BB100, without radio support, OTR is still #1 without radio support and many other examples. Why? Because they’re still being streamed and sold.  

Please tell me which stations you’re listening to because i’m still hearing Sunflower and OTR constantly.

y'all ugly and smelly

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

I love how y’all mainly blame the radios for lack of the longevity when they’re actually what made TUN and 7 Rings a hit. The moment radios reduced support they fell down pretty quickly.

And yes you can have longevity WITHOUT radio. Sunflower is #11 on BB100, without radio support, OTR is still #1 without radio support and many other examples. Why? Because they’re still being streamed and sold.

Old Town Road had massive radio support from Columbia, and Sunflower had a long radio run despite its low peak. The fact that Post Malone is massive on streaming and Old Town Road is quite literally one of the biggest songs to ever exist only invalidates your point. You’re using superlatives to argue against other songs.

Both 7 rings and thank u next are 6x Platinum – that’s higher than Without Me, which is apparently the biggest hit of the year. It’s clear that, if they both had radio traction, they would’ve been longer-lasting.

Also, radio wasn’t the reason they were big. Thank U, Next was never officially sent to radio stations, and 7 rings wasn’t even a huge radio hit.

Both were streaming monsters (fastest songs to reach 100M on Spotify, for example) and had good/decent sales all throughout their runs.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

How is predicting “Bad Guy” to win Pop Solo Performance delusional and predicting “7 Rings” or “Thank U, Next” isn’t?

“Bad Guy” is shaping up to be a bigger hit than either of those songs (along with Billie’s album on track to end up bigger than Ariana’s), and alternative-leaning hits have a good track record in the pop field.

Go back to the other threads and read the many, many pages of discussion (which was mostly everyone saying you’re being delusional and you bringing out random facts to defend your shitty point). We’re not going to fill this thread with more of your bs.

JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

You people in the US tend to put race everywhere, that’s kind of weird for me.

The case is much more of a genre bias than racism. Aretha, Whitney, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Louis Armstrong, James Brown, Chuck Berry, Ella Fitzgerald, Tina Turner, Etta James and many more. The legacy of these people is bigger than most white singers. But what they have in common besides extremely success? They don’t sing hip hop.

The genre is dominant now but it wasn’t in the past, it’s not the kind of music people used to care. Hip hop is popular now, is popular among young people and that’s it, so don’t expect the Grammys to change fast.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Please tell me which stations you’re listening to because i’m still hearing Sunflower and OTR constantly.

Old Town Road charted on rhythmic, country, top 40, adult top 40, and Dance radio, peaking significantly high on some of those, and most importantly, having different runs in each (which helped its longevity). M is just once again trying to hate on Ms Ponytail for some odd reason.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not delusional just because of your failure to see Ariana’s vulnerabilities. She wins one Grammy in a weak year, and all of a sudden, she’s an unstoppable force in Pop Solo with one of 2 early-year hits that have fizzled out? Comical. That prediction will come back to bite you later.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

You people in the US tend to put race everywhere, that’s kind of weird for me.

The case is much more of a genre bias than racism. Aretha, Whitney, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Louis Armstrong, Chuck Berry, Ella Fitzgerald, Tina Turner, Etta James and many more. The legacy of these people is bigger than most white singers. But what they have in common besides extremely success? They don’t sing hip hop.

The genre is dominant now but it wasn’t in the past, it’s not the kind of music people used to care. Hip hop is popular now, is popular among young people and that’s it, so don’t expect the Grammys to change fast.

What they have in common is that they sang very easy-listening material, while most hip hop tends to address race issues, which white old voters might not appreciate.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 648 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.