Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 648 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +39 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
Darren
Pauly Antonio
  • Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Ariana winning last year plays in her advantage to get more nominations and break into the general field but plays in her disadvantage to actually win anything. Some voters that doubt between the two frontrunners will follow the logic that Ariana just got it and will vote for Billie. The two albums of Ariana also don’t differ that much and she’s doing one tour for them both so they can feel they already awarded her. I can def see her going home empty handed.

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Lover may not even get a nomination. Swift is totally done commercially and critically, and I think the Academy is over it.</p>

abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Lizzo in all 4 GF categories but Billie in 3, missing SOTY.

Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

Lover may not even get a nomination. Swift is totally done commercially and critically, and I think the Academy is over it.

Let’s not overreact. Taylor is still outselling 99% of the industry. You can’t keep outdoing yourself forever, everyone will eventually decline. I don’t see her being shut out off pop album.

PleaseFeedTheTroll
    Participant
    Topics:

Could Billie Eilish and Lizzo get nominated in all four GF categories? I don’t recall two acts ever accomplishing that feat in the same year.

Lizzo will receive nominations in the four, but Billie Eilish is not going to because there is no way that Bad Guy is going to be in Song of the Year.

CarlosEdu21
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Lizzo in all 4 GF categories but Billie in 3, missing SOTY.

Me too. I think the Grammys will nominate bad guy for ROTY and Best Pop Solo Perfomance only.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Childish Gambino’s competition was NOT weak. He was going up against three other urban artists with big hits + a late boomer hit. Plus, many people thought it would lose because it didn’t “hold up well.” He could have easily split votes with those other urban artists and “Shallow” definitely had a lot going for it at the time. Let’s not discredit his wins with the “weak competition” thing because that was certainly not the case.

I’m sorry, but you didn’t get me. I meant that he was too strong compared to the rest, with the exception of Shallow and The Joke(not even a hit). Considering there were 8 nominees, that’s “weak competition” because he only had to beat two songs and the other 5 were fillers in both categories. “Boo’d Up” was the only other song to win anything and it wasn’t competitive for a win on the GF for many reasons. (God’s Plan only won Rap Song because TIA wasn’t nominated)

Obviously, the fact he was able to beat the supposed frontrunner, Shallow, is impressive on itself. Even more because we know how Grammys love to play it safe and award ballads/snub records like TIA.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  MarinaBelo2.
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s pretty obvious Grammys don’t like Post Malone. They’ve been snubbing him for years and only nominated him this year because it was his HUGE year, and even so, his album was snubbed in Pop Vocal Album although it was the second best selling album of the year. I don’t think they’re going to nominate him on the GF in two consecutive years, but I might be wrong.

Didn’t they only “snub” him for “White Iverson” and his first album? That’s not exactly a lengthy history.

“Sunflower” is the biggest hit of the year that’s not “Old Town Road”, it’s likable, it’s a “rap song” that’s really a pop song (adds easy genre diversity), and it’s from a beloved, critically acclaimed movie. It’s a no-brainer filler nomination for ROTY and could also get in SOTY due to the severe lack of competition (and it’s worth noting Swae Lee has already been nominated in the latter category).

Post may have missed a Pop Album nomination but it was a competitive year (Maroon 5, Sam Smith, and more also got shut out), and the genre placement may have been off for some Grammy voters. Past hip-hop-leaning albums that got placed there by Kanye West (who had one of the biggest hits of that year), OutKast (fresh off an AOTY win), and Nicki Minaj (weak year and she had several big hits) also failed to get nominated. And Post did get in Pop Solo Performance, over Taylor Swift to boot.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Taylor should still easily get in Pop Vocal Album. The timing helps her considerably, as her album will be very fresh in voters’ minds. Unless it gets horrid reviews or something.

Billie, Ariana, Ed, Taylor and… somebody else. P!nk or the Jonas Brothers, probably.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Post may have missed a Pop Album nomination but it was a competitive year (Maroon 5, Sam Smith, and more also got shut out)

It really wasn’t that competitive when both Camila Cabello and Shawn Mendes (both who had very forgettable albums) got in over the biggest album of the year, specially considering Pop Vocal typically goes for the best selling albums. I don’t think they dislike him (and I do have him on Record and Song), but that was definitely a snub.

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Post missed out because it wasn’t at all a pop record, it was urban contemporary; there were elements of POP, but r&b, trap and alternative as well. It blatantly was not a pop record and didn’t deserve to be there. Also Ariana Grande should have been in Urban Contemporary, but that’s my opinion, especially with those Pharrell beats.

Barnacles Bro

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie is definitely in my Song of Year predictions, so I really don’t know what you’re talking about. The lyrics, yes are crazy, but they do paint a vivid picture and are one of my favorite pop songs of the year.

Barnacles Bro

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

It really wasn’t that competitive when both Camila Cabello and Shawn Mendes (both who had very forgettable albums) got in over the biggest album of the year

The biggest album of the year, depending on your definition, was either Reputation (which was nominated) or Scorpion (which competed in Best Rap Album).

And yes, it was a competitive year when you think of all the albums by major artists who missed nominations (Justin Timberlake and FATM, in addition to the artists I’ve already mentioned, and Christina Aguilera, who got 2 other nominations). Shawn and Camila getting in does not mean that it was weak, it means that voters liked them a lot.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Halsey’s teasing a new release for the last thursday of August (29th). She caption it with “track 16”.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

The biggest album of the year, depending on your definition, was either Reputation (which was nominated) or Scorpion (which competed in Best Rap Album).

And yes, it was a competitive year when you think of all the albums by major artists who missed nominations (Justin Timberlake and FATM, in addition to the artists I’ve already mentioned, and Christina Aguilera, who got 2 other nominations). Shawn and Camila getting in does not mean that it was weak, it means that voters liked them a lot.

Beerbongs & Bentley’s is the best selling album of 2018. It was only a couple of units behind Reputation, which it probably surpassed at this point.

But anyways, that’s besides the point. It was a huge album that produced multiple #1 singles; that alone should’ve scored him a nom.

Also I don’t know what’s with you and Maroon 5 but they were never getting a nom in the first place. That album flopped and the only reason it “sold” well are the units it got from GLY, What Lovers Do, and Wait. The only real snub was Sam Smith, and it’s not like that was a shock to most people.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 648 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.