Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 648 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
( +39 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
DYNASTY
ELIAS
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Also I don’t know what’s with you and Maroon 5 but they were never getting a nom in the first place. That album flopped and the only reason it “sold” well are the units it got from GLY, What Lovers Do, and Wait. The only real snub was Sam Smith, and it’s not like that was a shock to most people.

I don’t know what this comment is about since I didn’t predict them to get a nomination. But they have been nominated in the category twice previously and had one of the biggest hits of last year, as well as several other hits from the same album.

I’m telling you to quit acting like there was no competition and Shawn and Camila just got in easy when there were plenty of people they could have chosen instead.

If 3-4+ A-list acts (including Post Malone) are getting shut out because of the amount of competition, it’s not a weak year.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    ScottyDog
    Topics:

I wish, but I don’t think so. But… if Lizzo is eligible, he should be too.

Is Tyler Childers eligible for BNA?

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Tyler Childers would be the best chance of a country artist getting in since Morgan Wallen is probably too bro-country for the Grammys and there have been no other major breakthroughs this year.

Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

Didn’t they only “snub” him for “White Iverson” and his first album? That’s not exactly a lengthy history. “Sunflower” is the biggest hit of the year that’s not “Old Town Road”, it’s likable, it’s a “rap song” that’s really a pop song (adds easy genre diversity), and it’s from a beloved, critically acclaimed movie. It’s a no-brainer filler nomination for ROTY and could also get in SOTY due to the severe lack of competition (and it’s worth noting Swae Lee has already been nominated in the latter category). Post may have missed a Pop Album nomination but it was a competitive year (Maroon 5, Sam Smith, and more also got shut out), and the genre placement may have been off for some Grammy voters. Past hip-hop-leaning albums that got placed there by Kanye West (who had one of the biggest hits of that year), OutKast (fresh off an AOTY win), and Nicki Minaj (weak year and she had several big hits) also failed to get nominated. And Post did get in Pop Solo Performance, over Taylor Swift to boot.

I honestly felt like he was snubbed for his first album, they nominated smaller albums instead. And I disagree about Pop Vocal Album being a strong category this year. We didn’t know who was getting in/out because it was all over the place(just like Pop Solo) and we didn’t know who would make the cut.

Taylor had the best selling album and used to be a Grammy darling. Ariana had the biggest pop era/popularity. Those 2 + Post Malone should’ve been the top 3 given how huge his album and singles were.

Timberlake had the biggest flop of his career, of course he’d be snubbed just like Gaga and Katy were for ARTPOP and Witness(the Pop/Duo nomination happened thanks to the Superbowl + Chris Stapleton appeal + he’s a man, of course he had it easier).

Maroon 5 had a huge hit, just like Camila. Their albums were irrelevant. She probably was nominated because Havana wasn’t eligible in its original version, just to make sure that if Havana Live got snubbed, she would’ve gotten at least one nom. That’s how I see it, because Meghan’s, Alessia’s, Carly’s albums were snubbed when they had huge hits/other wins.

Shawn Mendes was a surprise nominee. Christina would’ve been a surprise as well. Kelly and P!nk are always fillers. Post Malone should’ve got in before Camila and Shawn, at least. I doubt they just liked their albums, considering that Ariana won Pop Vocal Album, and if Camila and Shawn had significant support, they’d probably split the votes. I see it as a snub, because it felt like they filled the category with Kelly, P!nk, Shawn and Camila when he(Post) was a stronger contender than all of them combined.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I honestly felt like he was snubbed for his first album, they nominated smaller albums instead. And I disagree about Pop Vocal Album being a strong category this year. We didn’t know who was getting in/out because it was all over the place(just like Pop Solo) and we didn’t know who would make the cut.

Taylor had the best selling album and used to be a Grammy darling. Ariana had the biggest pop era/popularity. Those 2 + Post Malone should’ve been the top 3 given how huge his album and singles were.

Timberlake had the biggest flop of his career, of course he’d be snubbed just like Gaga and Katy were for ARTPOP and Witness(the Pop/Duo nomination happened thanks to the Superbowl + Chris Stapleton appeal + he’s a man, of course he had it easier).

Maroon 5 had a huge hit, just like Camila. Their albums were irrelevant. She probably was nominated because Havana wasn’t eligible in its original version, just to make sure that if Havana Live got snubbed, she would’ve gotten at least one nom. That’s how I see it, because Meghan’s, Alessia’s, Carly’s albums were snubbed when they had huge hits/other wins.

Shawn Mendes was a surprise nominee. Christina would’ve been a surprise as well. Kelly and P!nk are always fillers. Post Malone should’ve got in before Camila and Shawn, at least. I doubt they just liked their albums, considering that Ariana won Pop Vocal Album, and if Camila and Shawn had significant support, they’d probably split the votes. I see it as a snub, because it felt like they filled the category with Kelly, P!nk, Shawn and Camila when he(Post) was a stronger contender than all of them combined.

He should have been nominated, but I can see why he missed. He still got in Pop Solo, which is why I don’t think the Pop Album snub means Grammy voters don’t like him. Especially because he also got a rap field nomination.

Profile picture
    chem_x
    Topics:

I can see Billie submitting when the party’s over to SOTY.

Profile picture
    Pauly Antonio
    Topics:

Interscope would not let that happen…

y'all ugly and smelly

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

It might have been a competitive year overall by name recognition alone (with the exception of Adele), but overall it was a bland year for pop music. I think the only relative pop star was Ariana Grande, and she only snagged 1 award last year. This year has been competitive, with Ariana again, Billie, Gaga, the Jonas Brothers, Taylor, Ed, Khalid, etc. It’s not a relatively bad year for pop, especially the quality.

FYC:
    AOTY: Fetch the Bolt Cutters or After Hours
    ROTY & SOTY: Blinding Lights & Don’t Start Now
    BNA: Megan Thee Stallion or Rina Sawayama
    Rap Album: RTJ4
    Country Album: Gaslighter
    Americana Album: Reunions
    Pop Album: SAWAYAMA
    Rock Album: The New Abnormal
    R&B Performance: Do It

Profile picture
    Robinladen
    Topics:

Interscope would not let that happen…

Why not, they submitted Judas to ROTY and SOTY over Born This Way or The Edge of Glory. I know random example but the strategy isn’t always to just submit the biggest hit. Didn’t really work out in that case but submitting wtpio there does make a bit of sense.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

It wouldn’t be smart if they did that. Obviously “When the Party’s Over” sounds like more of a traditional Grammy record, but “Bad Guy” being far more popular outweighs that.

Profile picture
    Robinladen
    Topics:

It might have been a competitive year overall by name recognition alone (with the exception of Adele), but overall it was a bland year for pop music. I think the only relative pop star was Ariana Grande, and she only snagged 1 award last year. This year has been competitive, with Ariana again, Billie, Gaga, the Jonas Brothers, Taylor, Ed, Khalid, etc. It’s not a relatively bad year for pop, especially the quality.

Sweetener an Joanne winning really says enough. They wouldn’t have stood a chance in any of the previous years.

Camila and Shawn were def nominations that wouldn’t have happened in stronger years.

Profile picture
    Radiogagahead
    Topics:

This time last year I was told I was delusional and smoking crack because I was talking up Ariana’s chances in the pop field. After she was nominated, the same damn people said she had no shot at winning. Even now that she won, everyone’s repeating the same stale takes. Those who pretend like you are some expert at predicting this meaningless award show each year are so stale. It’s not that deep.

Ariana will do just fine. She could end up winning 1-3 Grammys or lose them all. We shall see.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Camila and Shawn were def nominations that wouldn’t have happened in stronger years.

Not necessarily. Shawn was bound to get a nomination somewhere at some point, with his consistent track record at pop and particularly adult contemporary radio and his troubadour image.

Camila had two big hits last year including a massive #1 record. It’s not uncommon for albums to get nominated in the pop field off the strength of just one hit (Mark Ronson, Robin Thicke, Sia, CeeLo Green, Colbie Caillat, Kesha), and Camila had multiple.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 648 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.