Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 635 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 mins ago
replies
views
users
Boz
DC95
Pauly Antonio
  • Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Without Me feels like another Girls Like You. It’s propped by radio, and Halsey has a pretty weak track record (say what you want, she should’ve been a BNA nominee and a Pop Solo nominee last year in terms of commercial success). I only see her in Pop Solo and maybe SOTY, though that sample could hold it back.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

You are delusional if you think Halsey will get into the GF before Ariana or Billie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Without Me feels like another Girls Like You. It’s propped by radio, and Halsey has a pretty weak track record (say what you want, she should’ve been a BNA nominee and a Pop Solo nominee last year in terms of commercial success). I only see her in Pop Solo and maybe SOTY, though that sample could hold it back.

I love M, but he or she is wrong about her track record. Halsey’s been snubbed several times. She should’ve been at least nominated for BNA when she was eligible, and Bad at Love was such a big song in 2017 that she could’ve at least shortlisted for Pop Solo.

ReplyCopy URL
    chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone has mentioned this song in a minute, but what do y’all think about “Without Me”‘s chances of getting in the GF? Believe it or not, it’s probably going to wind up being the third biggest hit of the year, behind “Old Town Road” and “Sunflower”. It’s that big.

Even so, I have a hard time seeing it as a ROTY contender. The production is pretty bland and Halsey… isn’t known for her vocal ability, let’s just say that. However, I think it has a decent chance of getting in SOTY, despite the “Cry Me a River” sample.

I have it in SOTY. The writing is the highlight of the song, and I think the sample is thematically relevant so it won’t hurt her chances.

ReplyCopy URL
    reputationsgrammy
    Participant
    Topics:

Im expecting to be attacked for this but OMG P!nk’s “Walk Me Home” came on last night and I totally see that getting into Pop Solo. The pop voters clearly LOVE her, they nominated “What About Us” which is just as average if not more average than the former. I know everyone thinks that the Pop field is basically solidified at this point but I’m shocked no one has really mentioned P!nk.

ReplyCopy URL
    Radiogagahead
    Participant
    Topics:

I suspect the 8 nominees for AOTY will probably come from this bunch of 13. We’ve talked ad nauseam about how those two pop contenders are the strongest bets. Did I get any of the other category submissions wrong? I know there’s been talk about Solange in the R&B thread. I assume Anderson .Paak will submit to Urban Contemporary and Gary Clark Jr. will submit to Traditional Blues, as they have both done in the past. What about Lizzo? That being said, I don’t see more than 2, maybe 3, contenders nominated from any given field.

Pop
    Thank U, Next– Ariana Grande
    When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?– Billie Eilish

-Don’t think Jonas Brothers are strong enough here and have a better chance in ROTY & SOTY. Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift will be looked over again. Maggie Rogers seems like a BRP-friendly choice, but her album has no big hits and its not undeniably acclaimed.

Urban Contemporary
    Cuz I Love You– Lizzo
    Free Spirit– Khalid
    Ventura– Anderson .Paak
    When I Get Home– Solange

-This could go in a lot of different directions, though Solange is probably the weakest here. I could potentially see Khalid only getting into ROTY or SOTY for “Talk” instead.

Compilation Soundtrack
    A Star Is Born– Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper

-Does the BRP really love this movie/Gaga? We shall see!

Rap
    Igor– Tyler, the Creator

-Is Chance the Rapper out? Seems like his album didn’t meet expectations and Tyler, the Creator is the strongest rap contender this year. I don’t see the BRP going for 21 Savage.

Traditional Blues
    This Land– Gary Clark Jr.

-I personally think the title track has a better shot at ROTY & SOTY than the album does at AOTY. There have been comparisons to “This is America” and “Formation.”

Alternative
    Father of the Bride– Vampire Weekend
    I, I– Bon Iver

-Vampire Weekend won for its last album and they have garnered a lot of industry cred over the course of their career. Bon Iver, a BNA winner, released another critically acclaimed album, the final installment of a cycle of albums representing the changing seasons (arguably some of the most acclaimed albums of the century). Both bands still have a cool factor as two of the last “bands still standing from the mega-indie era,” while also being accessible to traditional (white) voters. The National and Thom Yorke would also be worthy left-field choices, but I think they have less going for them. The 1975 have only been nominated for Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package in the past and I don’t see them jumping to AOTY without any big hits. I don’t really see any viable rock contenders unless BRP decides to hand this award to Bruce Springsteen.

Country
    GIRL– Maren Morris
    Country Squire– Tyler Childers

-Tyler Childers just released his album to great reviews and its produced by Sturgil Simpson. Maren Morris is super well-liked in the industry. I don’t see why the BRP would suddenly go for Eric Church this year, so I left him off.

ReplyCopy URL
    Radiogagahead
    Participant
    Topics:

Realized I forgot about Homecoming… Does anyone think that stands a chance at this point?

ReplyCopy URL
    jowgbruno
    Participant
    Topics:

Realized I forgot about Homecoming… Does anyone think that stands a chance at this point?

I guess no one that actualy have a brain will truly believe that HC stands a chance

• This reply was modified 4 days ago by  jowgbruno.
    • This reply was modified 4 days ago by  jowgbruno.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Bon Iver will show up in Album of the Year. The album is stunning. I want him and PJ Morton to make it in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

My Current Lineup:

Billie Eilish – When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go
    Bon Iver – I, I
    Ariana Grande – thank u, next
    Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper – A Star Is Born
    PJ Morton – PAUL
    Beyonce – Homecoming: The Live Album
    Vampire Weekend – Father of the Bride
    Anderson .Paak – Ventura

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not convinced on Maren Morris because for the last 20 years, they have only nominated country albums that were either blockbuster successes or critically acclaimed, neither of which GIRL is. The lone exception was Taking the Long Way, which was still among the top 20 selling albums of that year and was nominated / won for obvious political reasons.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Without Me feels like another Girls Like You. It’s propped by radio

Both songs were huge sales and streaming hits, so I’m not sure what your point is here. Most hit songs get played on the radio.

If anything is going to be the “‘Girls Like You’ of this year,” it’s probably going to be “Sucker.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, it’s an extremely shitty year. Halsey should be able to easily slide into ROTY and/or SOTY.

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

After Nightmare’s flop it seems that any buzz about Halsey has died

I have to agree. She needed to follow up “Without Me” with a successful single or album, but didn’t. Given her Grammy past, I feel like it will be more of a surprise if somehow “without me” gets a nomination rather than a snub if it doesn’t.

Starting to think she may have a better shot at getting a nom with BTS for “Boy With Luv” …but idk if Grammys will go for that one-week hit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

Without Me will show up in Pop Solo. I dont see it winning ROTY and/or SOTY even if it was a contender. By the time the Grammys come around the song will feel old and she doesn’t have a big album/era to piggyback off (a la Ariana w/ thank u, next).

She deserves a SOTY nod since it was one of the biggest songs of the year.. but no one really is invested in Halsey that much to care.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 635 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.