Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 687 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
Darren
Pauly Antonio
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Because the winner wasn’t there. If the producers knew ahead of time she would be there, they probably televise it.

Maybe they would have, maybe they wouldn’t have. They don’t televise that category every year.

It was untelevised in 2010, 2012, I believe 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.

And they’ve given out awards on TV where the winner didn’t attend – even if you don’t want to count Childish Gambino winning two of the main awards, the most recent example was Ed Sheeran winning Pop Solo in 2018.

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Why is everyone crapping on Ariana for not attending the Grammys last February? We all know that she didn’t go because Ken Ehrlich was being a dick.

JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe they would have, maybe they wouldn’t have. They don’t televise that category every year.

It was untelevised in 2010, 2012, I believe 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.

And they’ve given out awards on TV where the winner didn’t attend – even if you don’t want to count Childish Gambino winning two of the main awards, the most recent example was Ed Sheeran winning Pop Solo in 2018.

You can safely say that they would have televised it. Just with the exemples you gave you can cleary see the reasons why they did or didn’t televised.

In 2012 and 2017 Adele was sweeping, no need to one more speech of her.
    In 2015 Sam Smith was already going on stage to accept ROTY and SOTY.
    In 2018 Ed Sheeran didn’t attend, so Pop Vocal Album wasn’t televised. They televised Pop Solo to do some sort of apology for the snub of ‘Shape of You’ and also because all the others competidors were there (and were competing just in that category with their respective song).

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

You can safely say that they would have televised it. Just with the exemples you gave you can cleary see the reasons why they did or didn’t televised.

In 2012 and 2017 Adele was sweeping, no need to one more speech of her.
    In 2015 Sam Smith was already going on stage to accept ROTY and SOTY.
    In 2018 Ed Sheeran didn’t attend, so Pop Vocal Album wasn’t televised. They televised Pop Solo to do some sort of apology for the snub of ‘Shape of You’ and also because all the others competidors were there (and were competing just in that category with their respective song).

Ariana could have attended and they still could have made the choice not to show 1 of the 76 non-main categories on television. Especially since another pop category was televised this year (and the winner, Lady Gaga, who was riding the hype of a busy award season and a hit film and whose performance was heavily touted in commercials for the show, didn’t win any other televised awards).

They didn’t owe Ed Sheeran any apologies either.

cL94
    Participant
    Topics:

Why is everyone crapping on Ariana for not attending the Grammys last February? We all know that she didn’t go because Ken Ehrlich was being a dick.

They have nothing else to complain or “drag” her for so they’re  desperately trying to cling onto anything remotely negative that they can spin into yet another false narrative about her.

6 GOD
    Participant
    Topics:

Because the winner wasn’t there. If the producers knew ahead of time she would be there, they probably televise it.

I still don’t agree with the notion that producers know the winners. I believe that producers base what categories to broadcast on who they THINK will win, but they don’t truly know.

Everyone on here knew Pop Vocal was between Ariana and Taylor, and producers definitely knew the same (as they have even more inside tea on the minds of voters). So it made sense to not air Pop Vocal, as neither of the two frontrunners would’ve been there.

Meanwhile, everyone knew that Pop Duo was going to “Shallow”. Gaga had the momentum. The producers used the “television debut” of “Shallow” as a gimmick in commercials. They wanted that Gaga win. And as reassurance for the producers, in the very unlikely case that Gaga lost, the runner-up to most people was “Girls Like You” and Cardi was in attendance.

I also think that if Ariana did decide to show up, Pop Vocal would’ve not been televised. I don’t think they would’ve added any category either way, but if they were to because of Ariana’s attendance it would be Pop Solo. Camila and Ariana were seen as the perceived frontrunners, and both of them would’ve been there.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh come on the producers definitely know who’s winning.

I mean they televised Pop Duo. They would’ve definitely not done that if Gaga was winning RoTY & SoTY as she was predicted to.

This Is America was not the predicted outcome. It was an upset. It was the 2nd most predicted outcome, but still, an upset.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

P!nk, Kelly, Ariana, and Taylor missed the Grammy’s. They weren’t going to televise such an empty category. Even if Ariana had attended, 50% of the nominees would’ve been missing.

queenb
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana could have attended and they still could have made the choice not to show 1 of the 76 non-main categories on television. Especially since another pop category was televised this year (and the winner, Lady Gaga, who was riding the hype of a busy award season and a hit film and whose performance was heavily touted in commercials for the show, didn’t win any other televised awards). They didn’t owe Ed Sheeran any apologies either.

The could have done or not done a lot of things sure. But past history shows that more often than not, the producers want to give the big A list stars their Grammy moment.

queenb
    Participant
    Topics:

I still don’t agree with the notion that producers know the winners. I believe that producers base what categories to broadcast on who they THINK will win, but they don’t truly know. Everyone on here knew Pop Vocal was between Ariana and Taylor, and producers definitely knew the same (as they have even more inside tea on the minds of voters). So it made sense to not air Pop Vocal, as neither of the two frontrunners would’ve been there. Meanwhile, everyone knew that Pop Duo was going to “Shallow”. Gaga had the momentum. The producers used the “television debut” of “Shallow” as a gimmick in commercials. They wanted that Gaga win. And as reassurance for the producers, in the very unlikely case that Gaga lost, the runner-up to most people was “Girls Like You” and Cardi was in attendance. I also think that if Ariana did decide to show up, Pop Vocal would’ve not been televised. I don’t think they would’ve added any category either way, but if they were to because of Ariana’s attendance it would be Pop Solo. Camila and Ariana were seen as the perceived frontrunners, and both of them would’ve been there.

I agree that pop solo would have been televised if they go by what they think will win rather than what they know. But I believe they know. thats why they televside Beyonce’s Lemonade win when a lot of people thought there would be some kind of split in the GF (eg. Beyonce wins Album, Adele wins the other 2)

Bunni 33
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the current front runners for pop solo are bad guy and thank you next. I think bad guy takes the edge because people with billie’s buzz tend to win a bucket full of Grammys or 2 Grammys one for BNA and the other the song category for their genre. My bet is on the 2 Grammys. With Ariana repeating a win for best pop vocal album.  Then there’s pop duo which is littered with contenders but I think the two front runners are Sucker and Dwas. If I had to choose a song to win I couldn’t because that category is unpredictable. But they usually go for moderate ballad hits which fits for Dwas but sucker has been accused of ripping off feel it still which is a former winner. They have a very similar sound. And from what we saw last year they love y2k acts, So sucker has a good chance.

abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Two weeks until the eligibility deadline, btw.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

I still don’t agree with the notion that producers know the winners. I believe that producers base what categories to broadcast on who they THINK will win, but they don’t truly know.

They know. Some evidence of that:
    1989’s Pop Vocal win wasn’t televised. The only televised award Taylor won in the end was AOTY. She wasn’t considered a lock for AOTY, they wouldn’t have done that if they didn’t knew for sure she was winning. (this is the most obvious one, IMO)

Frank Ocean’s and Beyoncé’s Urban Album wins were televised in years in which they were considered frontrunners for main awards(He was one of the frontrunners for BNA and AOTY and was nominated for ROTY, she was nominated for AOTY, ROTY and SOTY). If they thought they would win at least one main award, they wouldn’t have televised this category since they never do.

Gaga’s Pop Duo/Group win this year, same logic applies. She was the frontrunner for SOTY, at the very least. And they wouldn’t televise 2 wins for the same song, unless it’s ROTY and SOTY. They never do that.

Ed Sheeran’s Pop Solo televised win last year was obviously meant to show people that he won something after all. He was heavily predicted to take it and they knew he was absent. (They don’t do this for everyone, they did for him because both voters and producers love him.) If they thought Gaga or Kesha was taking it, they would have presented it later in the night, specially in Kesha’s case(she performed hours later). They presented it early because the winner was absent.

Marlon G
    Participant
    Topics:

I do think when it comes to the pop genre, Billie and Ariana will go head to head. Bad Guy is going to do much more superior than Thank U, Next (Song) like I’ve said before but I don’t think Billies album will. Thank U, Next (Album) received a huge critical acclaim when it was released. Its the best selling album this year so there’s that. It’s got the critical and commercial support behind it. I do think Ariana has a better chance of winning for her album then Billie does with hers. Just because of that.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Pop Vocal Album will probably go to Billie. But if Ariana hadn’t won this year, I believe she would win instead, solely based on the fact that she had 2 #1 hits and Billie none. Pop Vocal Album goes to the most successful era most of the time. Usually, that’s the best selling album, but sometimes it isn’t(Sweetener had a bigger era, but not as much sales as Reputation and Beautiful Trauma).

There’s also the VOCAL thing, although we know that’s not what it means, Ariana has real vocals, Billie… well. I still think Ariana could win, but Billie is the frontrunner, because among other reasons, unlike Alessia, Meghan or Dua Lipa, she’s gonna have her Pop Vocal Album nom in the same year she’s winning BNA. That will help.

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 687 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.