Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 11)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 738 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +12 hidden )
replies
views
users
Pauly Antonio
Darren
Boz
  • Sheeow
    Participant
    Topics:

Lenny & Simon’s from HDD updated top picks for AOTY: “WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?” – Billie Eilish “thank u, next” – Ariana Grande “Free Spirit” – Khalid “Lover” – Taylor Swift “HOMECOMING” – Beyoncé “A Star Is Born” – Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper “Hurts 2B Human” – P!nk “Cuz I Love You” – Lizzo “Heard It In The Past” – Maggie Rogers “No. 6 Collaborations Project” – Ed Sheeran “IGOR” – Tyler, The Creator “Revenge Of The Dreamers III” – Dreamville & J. Cole “GIRL” – Maren Morris “Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent” – Lewis Capaldi “MAP OF THE SOUL : PERSONA” – BTS “This Land” – Gary Clark Jr. “Desperate Man” – Eric Church “Threads” – Sheryl Crow http://m.hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=317612

BTS….. yeah he’s on crack!

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re acting like Gaga is now all of a sudden a Grammy darling due to her unexpected win in Pop Solo. Doing well at the Grammys for 1 year is not automatic Grammy darling status.

This is basically my whole point. I think we’re giving that Joanne win way too much credit. What if… they just liked the song more? I mean the teen vote probably was split between Post, Camila, and Ariana anyways, so I really don’t think it was “the Grammy’s showing their love for Gaga”.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

the teen vote probably was split between Post, Camila, and Ariana anyways, so I really don’t think it was “the Grammy’s showing their love for Gaga”.

Oh this is my point too, who is Gaga going to share the adult vote with, if her competition is Ariana and Camilla etc again?

Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Dear delusional Taylor Swift stan,

I know you have a hard-on for Taylor and all, but the singles from Lover have been forgotten.  She will NOT have any impact in November on nominations day.

Signed,

Mgmt

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

ASIB had so much hype last year, that hype is gone.

Not sure what metric you are using to quantify this statement when the soundtrack and its songs are still selling and streaming well.

Also not sure why you’re acting like the movie was released 5 years ago.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh this is my point too, who is Gaga going to share the adult vote with, if her competition is Ariana and Camilla etc again?

Capaldi, who is also a balladist.
    She could also split with P!nk since both of them are making soccer mom music right now (the difference is Gaga’s actually good).

In a lineup of Gaga, Capaldi, Ariana, Billie, and Shawn. I’d say either Billie or Shawn could win. Ariana could very well split votes with Billie, but maybe not. It depends.

Needless to say, I really a hunch about Shawn Mendes this year.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

I do see the point of voters taking a liking to Gaga over Ariana, Billie, or other newer acts simply because she has more of a base than they do (would one count her as a vet?). What I don’t agree with is the notion that Gaga is all of a sudden a Grammy fave. Joanne winning was an anomaly due to an insanely weak category and the ASIB hype lead Gaga to win there. If she was a true favorite of theirs, she would’ve won ROTY and SOTY when ASIB still had somewhat of it’s hype (long past its peak).

You can’t say “Gaga will win Pop Solo again” because of a circumstantial win and then say “Ariana won’t win Pop Album again” for weaker reasons. That’s like saying “Solange unexpectedly won in R&B Performance so if she is nominated there again, she will win because the off-kilter win shows that the voters love her enough to do it again”. I’m not understanding that logic.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Mgmt

Should’ve won Pop Duo with Kids, wbk.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Joanne winning was an anomaly due to an insanely weak category and the ASIB hype lead Gaga to win there.

But my point is, if it won because of ASIB, and “Joanne” wasn’t even from that movie, then why are some people not taking an actual song from the movie – one that has high sales and streaming numbers, to boot – seriously as a threat to win this year?

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

But my point is, if it won because of ASIB, and “Joanne” wasn’t even from that movie, then why are some people not taking an actual song from the movie – one that has high sales and streaming numbers, to boot – seriously as a threat to win this year?

The movie feels old. They might also feel like they already rewarded her last year for the movie.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

The movie feels old. They might also feel like they already rewarded her last year for the movie.

They haven’t really used that logic previously though. Not when they gave Pop Collaboration to Krauss & Plant 2 years in a row; not when they gave Pop Solo to Adele 2 years in a row; not when Lady Antebellum won Country Album 2 years in a row; not when they gave Bruno Mars a second ROTY win for an “Uptown Funk” clone; etc.

No one is saying she’s unbeatable – not me, anyway – but the excuses being thrown around to undermine her chances just aren’t that great.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

We’re not saying it can’t win. What I’m saying is that the logic of it being a lock isn’t consistent. You’re looking at the win without looking at the circumstances around the win. That was last year with no strong frontrunner and when ASIB’s era still had media hype. It didn’t win solely because of ASIB, it also won because the category was filled with Ariana, Post, and Camila Cabello, artists that didn’t have the same built up level of respect in regards to their music or status. One is looked at as a joke when it comes to actually rewarding him, another had too much of a teenboppy image, and the other had a song that wasn’t undeniable in the slightest in spite of her following win in the Pop Album category. It was an exception, not a rule to Gaga.

6 GOD
    Participant
    Topics:

Not sure what metric you are using to quantify this statement when the soundtrack and its songs are still selling and streaming well.

Also not sure why you’re acting like the movie was released 5 years ago.

The album performed exceptionally well at the start of the year, but its currently #47. That’s below last year’s AOTY nominees of Scorpion, beerbongs & bentley’s, and Invasion of Privacy.
    The hype I am talking about is during last year’s voting period ASIB was still playing in theatres, still getting major acclaim, still had constant media promotion, and still had an ongoing word of mouth. There’s none of that now.
    That is hype being gone.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

It was an exception, which is why it is the only winner of Pop Solo so far that wasn’t a chart hit, and the first time a non-hit had won an adjacent category since Jason Mraz winning Male Pop Vocal Performance in 2010.

But I do think that if a random, non-charting album track with weak numbers can pull off the win based largely on the power of that artist’s name (in however weak of a lineup), that same artist can’t just be written off when she’s got a Platinum hit that was in a standout scene of a hit movie, whose soundtrack has sold like hotcakes.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

They haven’t really used that logic previously though. Not when they gave Pop Collaboration to Krauss & Plant 2 years in a row; not when they gave Pop Solo to Adele 2 years in a row; not when Lady Antebellum won Country Album 2 years in a row; not when they gave Bruno Mars a second ROTY win for an “Uptown Funk” clone; etc. No one is saying she’s unbeatable – not me, anyway – but the excuses being thrown around to undermine her chances just… aren’t that great.

These comparisons aren’t great. Adele is Adele. 24K Magic was in a category against two rap songs (Story of OJ and Humble), a low-key R&B song (Redbone), and Despacito. They were never gonna reward the first three and Bruno was also SWEEPING the night, so? Lady Antebellum had two major successful albums back to back so it’s no shock why they won again. Their competition was…Taylor Swift? Again, different situations.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 738 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.