Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 11)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 687 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +10 hidden )
replies
views
users
Pauly Antonio
Darren
Boz
  • Radiogagahead
    Participant
    Topics:

A Star Is Born could easily miss out on Grammy nominations a year later. That being said, wherever it happens to get in, it immediately becomes a formidable contender to win, including AOTY.

The vast majority of people being predicted for AOTY (including by me) have no shot of actually winning: Ariana, Lizzo, Khalid, Tyler the Creator, Solange, Anderson .Paak, etc.

Billie is the strongest pop contender but is she really going to sweep and win AOTY for that debut? Really? I’m not buying that just yet. She seems like a stronger bet in BNA and ROTY.

So then we have to think about potential dark horse contenders who might sneak in like Bruce Springsteen, Gary Clark Jr, Vampire Weekend… idk.

If they leave out the rock/alt contenders, I think Gaga and Bradley could have it in the bag.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I doubt they’ll go with Springsteen given their tendency to avoid legacy artists in AOTY as of late, but if he gets in he is obviously competitive. So is Clark, who will appeal to lots of traditionalists, and whose album has a lot of gravitas with its political themes.

Gaga is probably the most likely to win AOTY out of all the contenders – she has a blockbuster album that’s a soundtrack to a movie about the music industry with lots of baity music and artists involved – but she would have to get the nomination first, like you said.

CarlosEdu21
    Participant
    Topics:

I would like to see Lana Del Rey being a dark horse in AOTY this year but I think that isn’t happening.

supermodelslegs
    Participant
    Topics:

I would like to see Lana Del Rey being a dark horse in AOTY this year but I think that isn’t happening.

I would love to see Lana get some GF noms, I think she’s been overdue, but I’m not sold quite yet. It’s similar to Lover’s situation, being released so late in the cycle, you can’t decided whether it will be nominated or not yet. Her singles have been much more promising than Taylor’s, even though both are produced by Jack Antonoff. Even if she nominated too, I doubt she would win unless it gets Golden Hour-level or more praise from critics.

supermodelslegs
    Participant
    Topics:

So then we have to think about potential dark horse contenders who might sneak in like Bruce Springsteen, Gary Clark Jr, Vampire Weekend… idk.

I’m pretty convinced something like this is going to happen. Similar to 2018, with 4:44 and DAMN. splitting the votes in the AOTY nods, except hopefully they won’t go with a lukewarm popular album like 24k and choose an album that would actually deserve it (Melodrama deserved better!).

Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

Lady Gaga would be a 4 time AOTY nominee. She has the history. And she’s on the most acclaimed moment of her career ever. Multiple songs of the album have reasonated with the public. The album already has an Oscar winning song. Aswell as big sales and longevity on charts worldwide. Bradley is a respected actor. There’s nothing going against it really. It actually would make for a great winner that checks all the boxes. I don’t see them going for a far fetched winner like Springsteen with an album no one knows when they have this in their hands.

Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

I would love to see Lana get some GF noms, I think she’s been overdue, but I’m not sold quite yet. It’s similar to Lover’s situation, being released so late in the cycle, you can’t decided whether it will be nominated or not yet. Her singles have been much more promising than Taylor’s, even though both are produced by Jack Antonoff. Even if she nominated too, I doubt she would win unless it gets Golden Hour-level or more praise from critics.

Born To Die deserved better but that SNL performance really had the industry not taking her seriously for awhile. And the Summertime Sadness remix hadn’t happened yet. I think if timing worked out better for her back then and she got some noms right away, she’d have an easier time still getting them now.

abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

I still think Lizzo has a decent shot at winning AOTY, although I’m not sure if her being so new hurts her chances.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo’s not winning AOTY. “Truth Hurts” is currently the biggest thing she’s done and that’s not on her album. She’s becoming more of a threat to Billie Eilish for BNA, if anything.

Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

I still feel like a “new girl” could take it home or new act.

The last time the new girl one was Norah Jones in 2003 and no one expected it. You can google old archives of Grammy predictions from 2003 and she was only predicted to win BNA and even then people had their doubt about that. Her sweep was considered an upset because she won AOTY from popular albums like Springsteen and Eminem and in the pop field won against Avril and Venessa Carlton who were highly favored to win.

wouldn’t be surprised if this similar situation happens this year…

y'all ugly and smelly

jowgbruno
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that ASIB have an Oscar and a BAFTA, with Gaga being the first woman in history to have a BAFTA for music, makes such a perfect exemple of a great album to win the aoty

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  jowgbruno.
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Vanessa Carlton wasn’t nominated in the pop field; she was only nominated in ROTY and SOTY (and an arrangement category). Norah Jones was. That should have tipped people off that Vanessa was a committee pick in the GF and that Norah was more likely to win.

And Norah Jones was doing coffeehouse singer-songwriter-y jazz music at the time, which is total Grammy bait. Nothing really comparable to that this year.

Billie Eilish is competitive in all GF categories this year, but that comparison is off, especially because they wouldn’t be surprise wins. She has the biggest album of the year and a #1 hit.

jowgbruno
    Participant
    Topics:

I still feel like a “new girl” could take it home or new act. The last time the new girl one was Norah Jones in 2003 and no one expected it. You can google old archives of Grammy predictions from 2003 and she was only predicted to win BNA and even then people had their doubt about that. Her sweep was considered an upset because she won AOTY from popular albums like Springsteen and Eminem and in the pop field won against Avril and Venessa Carlton who were highly favored to win. wouldn’t be surprised if this similar situation happens this year…

I could see this happening if it was not for the reasons that I Dont think we have a new artist on the level of Norah Jones this year and if Lizzo and Billie Both compete on aoty the votes for new artists will Split a lot
    Not to mention that billie will already Split votes with ariana from the pop voters

Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

I Dont think we have a new artist on the level of Norah Jones this year  

Google 2003 Grammy predictions, you’ll find some, Norah wasn’t even mentioned as a top contender at all, only for BNA and some said that was a stretch. Many people were confused at how she managed to win since virtually no one knew who she was. Her album didn’t even reach #1 until A YEAR LATER.

Norah Jones wasn’t even on the level of Norah Jones….

y'all ugly and smelly

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo’s music appeals to young people a lot more than older voters, especially the lyrics. She’ll definitely be nominated in the GF but I don’t see her winning AoTY.

Your typical grammy voter doesn’t even know what “DMs” are.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  M.
    • This reply was modified 3 months ago by  M.
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 687 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.