Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 12)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 841 through 855 (of 863 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
Matt2019
Pauly Antonio
  • Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

I think the BRP might snub it intentionally so it can’t win. Its cross-genre appeal could get votes from everywhere (Pop voters who like it, country voters, rap voters, hell even rock voters that don’t who to vote for or that want to honor Reznor). If it gets in, it could win, so they might play it safe and cock-block it.

There’s no need for that. It won’t win. There’s no way country voters will support it and Rap voters won’t either: if even Kendrick, Jay-Z, Eminem struggle to win, Lil Nas X is out of the picture… It’s probably not winning anything, but it will be nominated for ROTY because 1) it’s too huge, 2) the singer is a black and gay man and they won’t want to deal with the controversy of snubbing him like that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

It definitely doesn’t have support from the country industry seeing as it missed Single and Song of the Year nominations at the CMAs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I think the BRP might snub it intentionally so it can’t win. Its cross-genre appeal could get votes from everywhere (Pop voters who like it, country voters, rap voters, hell even rock voters that don’t who to vote for or that want to honor Reznor). If it gets in, it could win, so they might play it safe and cock-block it.

I don’t even know if the Grammys would recognize Trent Reznor as a producer since it’s a sampled track.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

Shape of You Love Yourself Thrift Shop Tik Tok Low Bad Day In da Club Hanging by a Moment Breathe Too Close Candle in the Wind Macarena All of these were the #1 Hot 100 hits of their respective years, and none of them were nominated for Record of the Year. (Two of these were nominated for Song.) “Tik Tok,” “Hanging by a Moment,” “Too Close,” and “Macarena” were not nominated in any category.

Here we go.

Macarena was snubbed because the Grammys weren’t as commercial as they have been since 2010 and the BRP was a new thing, so it was obviously more concerned about not letting songs like that pass.

Thrift Shop wasn’t nominated but Same Love, from the same artist, was submitted and nominated for SOTY. Maybe if they didn’t submit that, TS would have gotten in ROTY.

Candle in the Wind and Shape of You weren’t nominated because they didn’t want them to win, and knew that if nominated, they would. OTR would never win if nominated.

Love Yourself was nominated for SOTY instead.

Tik Tok was a song by Kesha, an artist that didn’t inspire any respect whatsoever. While the same could be said about Lil Nas X, he’s black and gay and they will take that into consideration after years of accusations of racism.

Closer wasn’t nominated because it’s not only bad, but completely generic. And unlike OTR or Despacito(which WAS nominated for both ROTY and SOTY), it wasn’t able to break Mariah’s record.

I don’t know those other songs you mentioned.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by MarinaBelo2.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by MarinaBelo2.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Closer wasn’t nominated because it’s not only bad, but completely generic. And unlike OTR or Despacito(which WAS nominated for both ROTY and SOTY), it wasn’t able to break Mariah’s record.

Didn’t say anything about “Closer.” “Too Close” by Next was the #1 song of ’98.

Also, BYE if you don’t know “In da Club,” “Breathe,” “Low,” “Bad Day”… you’re being willfully ignorant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

Didn’t say anything about “Closer.” “Too Close” by Next was the #1 song of ’98.

I misread. Anyway, Closer was the #1 song of 2016 and was snubbed on the GF, right? You could have used it as a recent example.

What you are failing to understand is that Lil Nas X was completely desperate to make his song happen, has given a lot of interviews, exploited(intentionally or not) his own sexuality, etc. Unless the song doesn’t make the top 20, the BRP is going to nominate it in ROTY, even if they don’t really want to. They know that if they don’t, people or even the media will say it was a racist and homophobic move. They don’t need that after the controversy about the song being moved out of country charts, etc.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I kinda hope Truth Hurts gets blocked for coming out ages ago so that Juice can get the rightful Grammys push it deserves. Juice is just so good.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Anyway, Closer was the #1 song of 2016 and was snubbed on the GF, right?

It was not. #1 song of 2016 was “Love Yourself”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

‘Closer’ took off too late. There were bigger and better hits released earlier.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

Didn’t say anything about “Closer.” “Too Close” by Next was the #1 song of ’98. Also, BYE if you don’t know “In da Club,” “Breathe,” “Low,” “Bad Day”… you’re being willfully ignorant.

I don’t live in the US… I don’t remember how “In Da Club” is, but 50 was nominated for BNA in the same year, something Lil Nas X probably won’t be. So his GF recognition will probably be ROTY instead since he’s apparently a OHW. And there’s no comparison between 2004 and 2019: now we have 8 nominees in a weak year while 2004 was highly competitive with a huge list of hits to choose from.

“Breathe”, “Bad Day” and “Low” were snubbed in competitive years as well. And the only snub of those three that was unusual is “Breathe”. Daniel Powter is a nobody and Flo Rida had lots of hits that were all snubbed, just like Kesha, so it was obvious that Grammy voters didn’t take them seriously. Lil Nas X is helped by the fact that he broke a very important record with his song, which is also “innovative”. Be objective, it will get a nomination, it doesn’t matter if it’s trash.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

It was not. #1 song of 2016 was “Love Yourself”

Weird. It didn’t feel like it. Love Yourself was nominated for SOTY, so the fact that it was snubbed on ROTY is irrelevant. It was a more typical SOTY nominee anyway and they were never too fond of Justin Bieber.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

“Love Yourself” wasn’t nominated in RoTY because there was almost no production. It was minimal.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

There’s an excuse for everything. Y’all are missing the big picture. They are not obligated to nominate the biggest hit of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

“Love Yourself” wasn’t nominated in RoTY because there was almost no production. It was minimal.

It could’ve been nominated anyway, but they wanted to nominate Work and Stressed Out in ROTY, so they had to leave someone out. They could have put Love Yourself in the spot 7 Years was in, but it’s a moot point. The fact that Ed Sheeran was a writer definitely helped Bieber to get in, and Sheeran was only eligible in SOTY, right? Either way, I was talking about the GF as whole, not specifically ROTY. I just mentioned ROTY because it’s obviously Old Town Road’s best shot at a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Matt2019
    Topics:

Well, here’s everything I agree and disagree with Forbes‘s Hugh McIntyre about, regarding his Grammy predictions:

✅ – agree
    ❌ – disagree
    ❓ – maybe / not sure

Album of the Year
    Anderson .Paak – Ventura ❓
    Ariana Grande – Thank U, Next ✅
    Beyoncé – Homecoming: The Live Album ❌
    Billie Eilish – When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? ✅
    Khalid – Free Spirit ✅
    Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper – A Star Is Born ✅
    Solange – When I Get Home ❌
    Taylor Swift – Lover ❓

Jury’s still out on Lover. .Paak is possible but I think he’ll be relegated to genre categories – having a second album eligible hurts him just like it did Kanye in 2011. The Knowles sisters aren’t happening.

Record of the Year
    Ariana Grande – “7 Rings” or “Thank U, Next” ✅
    Billie Eilish – “Bad Guy” ✅
    Halsey – “Without Me” ❌
    Jonas Brothers – “Sucker” ❌
    Khalid – “Talk” ✅
    Lil Nas X – “Old Town Road (ft. Billy Ray Cyrus)” ❌
    Lizzo – “Truth Hurts” ✅
    Post Malone – “Sunflower (ft. Swae Lee)” ✅

“Without Me” is more likely in SOTY but might even miss the GF entirely. The performance isn’t striking enough and I think it will be easily overlooked in Record. “Sucker” is too lightweight and a ripoff of “Feel It Still” which was passed over here not too long ago. I’ve already made my feelings about “Old Town Road”‘s chances abundantly clear, no need to rehash it.

Song of the Year
    Ariana Grande – “7 Rings” ❌ or “Thank U, Next” ✅
    Billie Eilish – “Bad Guy” ✅
    Dan + Shay – “Speechless” ❓
    Lewis Capaldi – “Someone You Loved” ✅
    H.E.R. – “Hard Place” ❓
    Lil Nas X – “Old Town Road (ft. Billy Ray Cyrus)” ❌
    Lizzo – “Truth Hurts” ✅
    Taylor Swift – “Lover” or “The Archer” ❌

“7 Rings” won’t happen if it’s entered – this is a songwriting category and they’re not going to honor a song that bases the majority of its melody on another composition (a very famous and iconic one, at that). “Old Town Road” has similar originality issues due to its instrumental being cribbed from a Nine Inch Nails track. Taylor Swift feels weak this year; “Lover” needs to blow up very quickly to be a contender. Her best chance is Album. Dan + Shay and H.E.R. are possible, but I’m not sure.

Best New Artist
    Ava Max ❌
    Billie Eilish ✅
    Lewis Capaldi ❓
    Lil Nas X ❌
    Maggie Rogers ✅
    Megan Thee Stallion ❓
    Morgan Wallen ❌
    Rosalía ❓

Horrible predictions. Ava Max is a one-hit wonder. Morgan Wallen is too bro-country for the Grammys. Lil Nas X has done very little to prove his career is sustainable beyond 2019. Lewis Capaldi’s album has been huge in the UK, but “Someone You Loved” is all he’s known for stateside and that may not be enough to get him the nomination. Megan has had a huge breakout year but she may be looked down upon as too vulgar. Rosalía could get in, but she’d have to be eligible.

The Archer is not a single. I bet that Taylor Swift will submit Lover song for SOTY and the Grammy committee will nominate her in SOTY and probably win..svg” class=”emoji”

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 841 through 855 (of 863 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.