Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 9)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 514 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
ELIAS
Darren
  • Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

You need to look at the bigger picture. Old Town Road is simply a novelty song – a huge one, for sure, but it’s a novelty song about horses. There’s literally nothing more to it than that. It’s about horses.

At least This is America had the video and served as a soundtrack to a political stance and movement. And people still use “This is America” as a political stance, so it’s impact has lasted much like Formation by Beyoncé and Alright by Kendrick Lamar.

They’d much rather vote for Billie – specially if there’s a Billie hype-traik this year – or Ariana and Post, who have easy, digestible pop hits.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

OTR has mass appeal. As simple as that. You may not like it, but it’s a fact. Its huge pure sales figures also show that it resonates with older audiences. So I wouldn’t underestimate it if the line up is weak. It won’t lose to “Bad Guy” or “Thank U Next”.

It’s not about “horses”. It’s about exasperation and hopelessness. You tend to mischaracterize songs whenever it’s convenient to ridicule them, like you claimed “God’s Country” is about “farming” lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Dylan George
    Participant
    Topics:

ROTY:
    Thank U, Next- Ariana Grande
    Bad Guy- Billie Eilish
    Without Me- Halsey
    Sucker- Jonas Brothers
    Old Town Road- Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus
    Truth Hurts- Lizzo
    Sunflower- Post Malone/Swae Lee
    Senorita- Shawn Mendes/Camila Cabello

SOTY:
    Thank U, Next- Ariana Grande
    Bad Guy- Billie Eilish
    Without Me- Halsey
    Middle Child- J. Cole
    Sucker- Jonas Brothers
    Truth Hurts- Lizzo
    Dancing With A Stranger- Sam Smith/Normani
    Senorita- Shawn Mendes/Camila Cabello

BNA: (do not hold me to this…BNA is so hard to predict & I’m not confident)
    Alec Benjamin
    Ava Max
    Bazzi
    Billie Eilish
    Bryce Vine
    Lewis Capaldi
    Lil Nas X
    Lizzo

ReplyCopy URL
    PleaseFeedTheTroll
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s what I got to say: IMO Thank U, Next is wining SOTY. I mean do voters really care how many weeks a song charted. I mean This is America charted and then dipped, yet Childish Gambino sweeped the award show with that song, including ROTY/SOTY. I really believe it’s a moment. Ariana definitely created a moment for herself. Again a prerequisite for winning ROTY or SOTY has to be a chart topper (#1-5), but it really doesn’t matter how long, it’s generally a moment in music history.

ROTY: Old Town Road, Bad Guy, Thank U, Next/7rings (Hopefully Old Town Road)

SOTY: Thank U, Next, Sunflower, Without Me, or This Land (Hopefully Thank U, Next

This is America spent multiple weeks at number one, though. It was a really huge moment that reverberated throughout the globe that was featured upon various news segments, every one is aware of the song and the This Is America refrain has become engrained with the American vocabulary. You are right about the award usually going to songs that have big moments and heavy impact, but those weeks at number one are still necessary and are what made This Is America the undeniable winner. The winner of Record of the Year or Song of the Year has gone to a number one single the majority of the time within the previous few years. When a single that is not a number one number wins, that song usually has the most staying power among the nominees.

Bad Guy is absolutely not winning, and whoever is pushing otherwise is an absolute imbecile. The single is not big enough commercially or culturally to justify a win, and that is with it still being extremely frivolous. The single is absolutely no Royals. Thank You, Next will be the winner before they even consider giving any of those to Bad Guy.

The only song that fits as a the winner is Old Town Road: has record breaking commercial success and happens to be a pretty enduring phenomenon. It also has the every genre’s support imaginable. Lizzo’s Truth Hurts has huge momentum, pretty much is assured to be number one at some point and has been receiving huge attention with her performances, so that has the potential to be a Song of the Year winner. Old Town Road has Record of the Year, though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s not about “horses”. It’s about exasperation and hopelessness. You tend to mischaracterize songs whenever it’s convenient to ridicule them, like you claimed “God’s Country” is about “farming” lol

No, you’re reading too deep into it. It’s about horses, Lil Nas X’s whole brand is about horses, the first thing people think about Old Town Toad is horses. It’s not an allegory on the loneliness and exasperation of the independent artist in the current musical climate; it’s about a dude, and a horse, and how he enjoys the horse.

As much as I defend Lil Nas X, I really doubt he was thinking about something else. Hell, he himself said that song needed to be catchy and lightweight. It’s about horses.

God’s Country is about a farmer’s life – and that’s almost a direct statement from the songwriter’s. It gets heavy, but it isn’t political, nor is it as deep as some of y’all paint it out to be. It’s not This Land by Gary Clark Jr.

Some of y’all think that just because a song uses real instruments the lyrics are automatically better. Truth Hurts and Suge are probably the best written songs in the top 20 right now despite being funny rap songs. A song is not better because of it’s topic or because of how many truck-references it gives. You are a songwriter yourself, so you should know.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

No particular order

Record of the Year
    1. This Land – Gary Clark Jr.
    2. Suge – DaBaby
    3. bad guy – Billie Eilish
    4. thank u next – Ariana Grande
    5. Old Town Road – Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus
    6. Truth Hurts – Lizzo
    7. Sunflower – Post Malone & Swae Lee
    8. God’s Country – Blake Shelton

Album of the Year
    1. This Land – Gary Clark Jr.
    2. WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WERE DO WE GO? – Billie Eilish
    3. A Star Is Born – Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper
    4. thank u, next – Ariana Grande
    5. There is No Other – Rhiannon Guiddens
    6. Free Spirit – Khalid
    7. Cuz I Love You – Lizzo
    8. Ventura – Anderson .Paak

Song of the Year
    1. Someone You Loved – Lewis Capaldi
    2. This Land – Gary Clark Jr
    3. thank u, next – Ariana Grande
    4. Talk – Khalid
    5. Truth Hurts – Lizzo
    6. Sunflower – Post Malone & Swae Lee
    7. a lot – 21 Savage feat. J Cole
    8. God’s Country – Blake Shelton

Best New Artist
    1. Alec Benjamin
    2. Billie Eilish
    3. Lewis Capaldi
    4. Lizzo
    5. Maggie Rogers
    6. Summer Walker
    7. Morgan Wallen
    8. Lil Nas X

Edit: forgot about OTR lol.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Boz.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Boz.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PleaseFeedTheTroll
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree that Old Town Road is an undeniable hit, but it’s not a SOTY winner. What substance is there? Honestly. It’s just a silly song. Although if it was up to me, he is the frontrunner for ROTY.

I do not imagine Old Town Road winning Song of the Year, but That’s What I Like managed to win Song of the Year without having any substance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t wait until the end of the year to see where this discussion goes if/when “Old Town Road” is snubbed in the top categories. It’s like everyone here is assuming it MUST be nominated because it’s the biggest hit of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    PleaseFeedTheTroll
    Participant
    Topics:

You need to look at the bigger picture. Old Town Road is simply a novelty song – a huge one, for sure, but it’s a novelty song about horses. There’s literally nothing more to it than that. It’s about horses.

At least This is America had the video and served as a soundtrack to a political stance and movement. And people still use “This is America” as a political stance, so it’s impact has lasted much like Formation by Beyoncé and Alright by Kendrick Lamar.

They’d much rather vote for Billie – specially if there’s a Billie hype-traik this year – or Ariana and Post, who have easy, digestible pop hits.

What novelty song spends twenty weeks at number one and goes diamond? That Billie girl is probably not even winning Best New Artist if another of the nominees is Lizzo, so there is no way that she is winning Song of the Year for a frivolous single that peaked at number two. By the way, where is her other hit single? You speak about novelty artists, but Lil Nas X has an EP track that is sitting in the twenties without being a single while his single sits at number one. It fair to surmise that it is also going to be a big hit when he makes positions it as a single. That Billie girl has no other songs charting there or on streaming. Where are her possible follow up hits? Are you sure that she is not the novelty artist?

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyways, a song I feel like isn’t brought up enough is “Love It If We Made It” by The 1975. It’s probably up there for one of best songs of last year. Y’all should give it a listen.

YES, YES, and YES!

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

OTR, TikTok’s national anthem, is not winning anything in the GF.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

What novelty song spends twenty weeks at number one and goes diamond? That Billie girl is probably not even winning Best New Artist if another of the nominees is Lizzo, so there is no way that she is winning Song of the Year for a frivolous single that peaked at number two. By the way, where is her other hit single? You speak about novelty artists, but Lil Nas X has an EP track that is sitting in the twenties without being a single while his single sits at number one. It fair to surmise that it is also going to be a big hit when he makes positions it as a single. That Billie girl has no other songs charting there or on streaming. Where are her possible follow up hits? Are you sure that she is not the novelty artist?

Billie has other huge hits with “Lovely,” “Ocean Eyes,” “Bury a Friend,” “When the Party’s Over,” etc. They may not have peaked high but they had longevity and the numbers speak for themselves. It’s obvious you don’t have a clue, lol

Her album has been in the top 5 since it came out in March and her two-year-old(?) EP is consistently in the top 20. She is a streaming giant and massively popular. Do your research before embarrassing yourself.

ReplyCopy URL
    PleaseFeedTheTroll
    Participant
    Topics:

OTR, TikTok’s national anthem, is not winning anything in the GF.

You do not spend 20 weeks at number one by solely being popular because of a few synchs.

ReplyCopy URL
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

This is America spent multiple weeks at number one, though. It was a really huge moment that reverberated throughout the globe that was featured upon various news segments, every one is aware of the song and the This Is America refrain has become engrained with the American vocabulary. You are right about the award usually going to songs that have big moments and heavy impact, but those weeks at number one are still necessary and are what made This Is America the undeniable winner. The winner of Record of the Year or Song of the Year has gone to a number one single the majority of the time within the previous few years. When a single that is not a number one number wins, that song usually has the most staying power among the nominees. Bad Guy is absolutely not winning, and whoever is pushing otherwise is an absolute imbecile. The single is not big enough commercially or culturally to justify a win, and that is with it still being extremely frivolous. The single is absolutely no Royals. Thank You, Next will be the winner before they even consider giving any of those to Bad Guy. The only song that fits as a the winner is Old Town Road: has record breaking commercial success and happens to be a pretty enduring phenomenon. It also has the every genre’s support imaginable. Lizzo’s Truth Hurts has huge momentum, pretty much is assured to be number one at some point and has been receiving huge attention with her performances, so that has the potential to be a Song of the Year winner. Old Town Road has Record of the Year, though.

Again, I already mentioned that as a  PREREQUISITE, so I really think it doesn’t matter how much time it spends in the top 5, and didn’t Thank U, Next create a sound bitting moment as well. Of course I think the division between TIA and TUN is the politically aspect.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Who do you guys think are candidates for Producer of the Year nominations? I would keep an eye on Benny Blanco (he has the residual success of “Eastside,” which is ineligible this year, in his favor), Mark Ronson (who did extensive promo for his song with Miley Cyrus, recently dropped an album, and had his profile boosted by his recent Oscar win), and Finneas (Billie Eilish’s brother who is obviously having a great year).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 514 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.