Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 9)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 514 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
ELIAS
Darren
dOminiK13_
  • Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

Mariah Carey and Boys 2 Men broke its own record back in the day surpassing other records of its own at the time. It did not win Record Of The Year and Pop Collaboration, And the song was actually good.

OSD didn’t break the record until the day after the Grammys. Still, I would say the Grammys today has more of a preference for commercial smashes than it did 23 years ago. I would also say that OSD had way more competition than OTR does now. “Kiss from a Rose” was also huge in pop culture at the time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

Despacito was a latin song by Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee and Justin Bieber = lost to TWIL by Bruno Mars, a song that didn’t have half the impact and wasn’t particularly GOOD either. Fair or unfair, the bias against it was evident.

One Sweet Day was by Mariah Carey, an artist the Grammy voters always seemed to dislike although I have no idea why = lost.

Uptown Funk was by superstar Bruno Mars + prestigious producer Mark Ronson = it was a lock for months and won.

Old Town Road will probably not win because the artist behind it is too new/irrelevant/not serious enough/has no prestige + urban bias. Not for lack of quality or because it was ‘too successful’ or ‘memey’. Being a meme actually helps as long as the voters buy it for another reason(usually, being fond of the artist).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

And where the discussion goes if it is indeed nominated. You are also acting as if it being “bad” or a “novelty hit” disqualifies it as a contender for the marquee categories. It doesn’t.

The discussion won’t change much if it gets nominated – half of everyone here is saying it’s a frontrunner to win

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

Now that “Truth Hurts” is a top 5 hit, it could be our SOTY winner.

Sure.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

“24K Magic” and “Use Somebody” won ROTY this decade and both stopped at #4, so there’s not a rule that every ROTY/SOTY winner has to be a #1 or #2 hit, lol

There have been winners this century that didn’t even chart on the Hot 100, the most recent of which was in 2009 – not that long ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

The discussion won’t change much if it gets nominated – half of everyone here is saying it’s a frontrunner to win

All I’m seeing is people say that if the lineup consists of the same contenders, OTR will win. We could see a non-hit win it all in the end.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

“Despacito” had a lot of X’s going against it. It being mostly a Spanish-speaking song played against it. Plus, for some strange reason, it seemed like every award show went gaga for Bruno Mars. There’s definitely no artist this year that is similar to Bruno Mars in 2016.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

I can’t picture any of the obvious contenders winning ROTY and SOTY. Everything is so generic and not in a way Grammy voters would like. There’s not even a safe ballad or beloved artist to sweep this time.

Will they nominate Gaga with whatever she submits and shove another forced sweep a la Bruno Mars down our throats? Let’s wait and see.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

Honey, “24K Magic” won Record of the Year, NOT “That’s What I Like.”

I was talking about the General Field, not a specific category. But anyway, the fact that 24k Magic beat Despacito in ROTY is an even better display of bias than TWIL winning SOTY, considering it wasn’t even a top 2 hit like the previous 7 winners of the category and had no impact at all. No one predicted that song to be nominated, let alone win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

I can’t picture any of the obvious contenders winning ROTY and SOTY. Everything is so generic and not in a way Grammy voters would like. There’s not even a safe ballad or beloved artist to sweep this time.

Will they nominate Gaga with whatever she submits and shove another forced sweep a la Bruno Mars down our throats? Let’s wait and see.

Would there even be a narrative to force a Gaga sweep? ASIB, regardless of receipts Gaga stans try to push in every argument, seems so long ago. “Shallow” would have undoubtedly won SOTY/ROTY this year, but that’s just a missed opportunity. Gaga won three Grammys this year, and could win one in the Movie/Soundtrack categories. There’s really no need to push a sweep when she was rewarded properly last year.

I do wonder about this Lewis Capaldi person. His song, like “Truth Hurts,” is blowing up at the end of eligibility and will probably soar during the Fall months.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

I can’t picture any of the obvious contenders winning ROTY and SOTY. Everything is so generic and not in a way Grammy voters would like. There’s not even a safe ballad or beloved artist to sweep this time. Will they nominate Gaga with whatever she submits and shove another forced sweep a la Bruno Mars down our throats? Let’s wait and see.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Personally I’m betting on “Someone You Loved” in RoTY & SoTY, if nominated.

I just can’t see Bad Guy, TUN, Sucker or OTR winning (even though the latter is more likely than the others).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Would there even be a narrative to force a Gaga sweep. ASIB, regardless of receipts Gaga stans try to push in every argument, seems so long ago. “Shallow” would have undoubtedly won SOTY/ROTY this year, but that’s just a missed opportunity. Gaga won three Grammys this year, and could win one in the Movie/Soundtrack categories. There’s really no need to push sweep when she was rewarded properly last year.

There wasn’t really a narrative for Bruno Mars either, but they stacked the deck for him anyway.

I don’t think they’re going to nominate Gaga in Record/Song of the Year, though.

“Shallow” was indeed a missed opportunity, but I don’t think anyone – not even Gaga, her label, or Warner Bros. – expected it to have such a long lifespan.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

“Despacito” had a lot of X’s going against it. It being mostly a Spanish-speaking song played against it. Plus, for some strange reason, it seemed like every award show went gaga for Bruno Mars. There’s definitely no artist this year that is similar to Bruno Mars in 2016.

That really was weird considering 24k Magic wasn’t even his biggest era(actually, it was his “flop”) nor critically acclaimed. Maybe it was the fact that he was submitting in R&B? If he submitted to Pop, he would easily have been blocked by Ed Sheeran everywhere.

Or maybe it was just the fact that there wasn’t a main pop girl being huge in 2016/2017. Katy was the target of hate at that time, Gaga was… there and the others were in hiatus. But it was definitely weird.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 514 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.