Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 9)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 541 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
mcm
DC95
  • PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

“Despacito” had a lot of X’s going against it. It being mostly a Spanish-speaking song played against it. Plus, for some strange reason, it seemed like every award show went gaga for Bruno Mars. There’s definitely no artist this year that is similar to Bruno Mars in 2016.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t picture any of the obvious contenders winning ROTY and SOTY. Everything is so generic and not in a way Grammy voters would like. There’s not even a safe ballad or beloved artist to sweep this time.

Will they nominate Gaga with whatever she submits and shove another forced sweep a la Bruno Mars down our throats? Let’s wait and see.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, “24K Magic” won Record of the Year, NOT “That’s What I Like.”

I was talking about the General Field, not a specific category. But anyway, the fact that 24k Magic beat Despacito in ROTY is an even better display of bias than TWIL winning SOTY, considering it wasn’t even a top 2 hit like the previous 7 winners of the category and had no impact at all. No one predicted that song to be nominated, let alone win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s not even a safe ballad

“and now the day bleeds…”

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t picture any of the obvious contenders winning ROTY and SOTY. Everything is so generic and not in a way Grammy voters would like. There’s not even a safe ballad or beloved artist to sweep this time.

Will they nominate Gaga with whatever she submits and shove another forced sweep a la Bruno Mars down our throats? Let’s wait and see.

Would there even be a narrative to force a Gaga sweep? ASIB, regardless of receipts Gaga stans try to push in every argument, seems so long ago. “Shallow” would have undoubtedly won SOTY/ROTY this year, but that’s just a missed opportunity. Gaga won three Grammys this year, and could win one in the Movie/Soundtrack categories. There’s really no need to push a sweep when she was rewarded properly last year.

I do wonder about this Lewis Capaldi person. His song, like “Truth Hurts,” is blowing up at the end of eligibility and will probably soar during the Fall months.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t picture any of the obvious contenders winning ROTY and SOTY. Everything is so generic and not in a way Grammy voters would like. There’s not even a safe ballad or beloved artist to sweep this time. Will they nominate Gaga with whatever she submits and shove another forced sweep a la Bruno Mars down our throats? Let’s wait and see.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Personally I’m betting on “Someone You Loved” in RoTY & SoTY, if nominated.

I just can’t see Bad Guy, TUN, Sucker or OTR winning (even though the latter is more likely than the others).

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Would there even be a narrative to force a Gaga sweep. ASIB, regardless of receipts Gaga stans try to push in every argument, seems so long ago. “Shallow” would have undoubtedly won SOTY/ROTY this year, but that’s just a missed opportunity. Gaga won three Grammys this year, and could win one in the Movie/Soundtrack categories. There’s really no need to push sweep when she was rewarded properly last year.

There wasn’t really a narrative for Bruno Mars either, but they stacked the deck for him anyway.

I don’t think they’re going to nominate Gaga in Record/Song of the Year, though.

“Shallow” was indeed a missed opportunity, but I don’t think anyone – not even Gaga, her label, or Warner Bros. – expected it to have such a long lifespan.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

“Despacito” had a lot of X’s going against it. It being mostly a Spanish-speaking song played against it. Plus, for some strange reason, it seemed like every award show went gaga for Bruno Mars. There’s definitely no artist this year that is similar to Bruno Mars in 2016.

That really was weird considering 24k Magic wasn’t even his biggest era(actually, it was his “flop”) nor critically acclaimed. Maybe it was the fact that he was submitting in R&B? If he submitted to Pop, he would easily have been blocked by Ed Sheeran everywhere.

Or maybe it was just the fact that there wasn’t a main pop girl being huge in 2016/2017. Katy was the target of hate at that time, Gaga was… there and the others were in hiatus. But it was definitely weird.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

I know, my friend. But I hope we won’t have to.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Would there even be a narrative to force a Gaga sweep? ASIB, regardless of receipts Gaga stans try to push in every argument, seems so long ago. “Shallow” would have undoubtedly won SOTY/ROTY this year, but that’s just a missed opportunity. Gaga won three Grammys this year, and could win one in the Movie/Soundtrack categories. There’s really no need to push a sweep when she was rewarded properly last year. I do wonder about this Lewis Capaldi person. His song, like “Truth Hurts,” is blowing up at the end of eligibility and will probably soar during the Fall months.

They could force a Gaga sweep because Shallow didn’t win a major category. Besides, Gaga never won a major category either. This is a very weak year and there’s no Bruno Mars, Adele, Ed Sheeran(his EP doesn’t count), etc. Taylor Swift’s Grammy winning days are over, let’s be real.

Lewis Capaldi is the only safe option available but he’s so new that I don’t see it. I think a non-hit winning for the first time since 2009 is more realistic.

And if Gaga won Pop Solo Performance with Joanne Piano(lmao) thanks to lack of decent competition, well, that shows Grammy voters really would rather have a forgettable winner than someone like Camila Cabello or Post Malone being a Grammy winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Bruno Mars should’ve released an album this cycle.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Bruno Mars should’ve released an album this cycle.

Rihanna should’ve released hers. She could actually win multiple solo Grammys for the first time, easily. Bruno wouldn’t be competitive for major awards, I suppose, it would be too soon.

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

In terms of Record and Song of the Year… there does seem to be a lack of strong contenders that could actually take home the win.

Putting its record-breaking hold at #1 aside, I think it’s important to note that “Old Town Road” checks A LOT of boxes in terms of a potential winner (whether it’s deserved or not).

1) Multiple genre appeal. Country meets Hip-Hop meets Pop. This song has been performed live at countless music festivals, Country award shows and the BET Awards this past year. This song will have a lot of support from various genre voters.

2) Assisted by veteran Country music star and former Grammy nominee. If voters choose this song to award, they will be honoring both a new act and a veteran (Billy Ray Cyrus). That might appeal to voters… both liberal and conservative.

3) Representation in the music industry. Urban artists don’t win in ROTY (with the exception of last year). Additionally, a vote for this song would be a vote of support to the LGBT community and would be a big moment… honoring (one of) the first openly gay hip-hop artists.

Obviously, quality of the song is the biggest measure as to who will end up winning and it all depends on how seriously Grammy voters take “Old Town Road.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Billy Ray Cyrus is considered a joke.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 541 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.