Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 9)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 541 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
mcm
DC95
  • Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

And there wasn’t a non-hit song that won Best Pop Solo Performance since the creation of that category, yet it happened last year. Either way, by the time the vote happens, Someone You Loved will be a top 10 hit.

Again, when Shallow lost SOTY, it proved pop ballads aren’t necessary until when Adele releases her new album.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

Said that Gaga is finishing lg6, maybe it’s her, day 09…

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Again, when Shallow lost SOTY, it proved pop ballads aren’t necessary until when Adele releases her new album.

Somewhat agree. Even if Shallow wasn’t the biggest song in the world, the song itself is pretty baity and most voter had heard it. Plus, given that she did surprise in Pop Solo, I don’t think that she won because the song was too new or because she didn’t have support. I just think people looked at This Is America and voted for it given how impactful it was for a period of time.

But the bigger message is that voters vote for songs that they consider impactful rather and that they don’t always vote for the generic safe ballad. I think Capaldi stands a chance, but I don’t think he’s a locked winner right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

Somewhat agree. Even if Shallow wasn’t the biggest song in the world, the song itself is pretty baity and most voter had heard it. Plus, given that she did surprise in Pop Solo, I don’t think that she won because the song was too new or because she didn’t have support. I just think people looked at This Is America and voted for it given how impactful it was for a period of time. But the bigger message is that voters vote for songs that they consider impactful rather and that they don’t always vote for the generic safe ballad. I think Capaldi stands a chance, but I don’t think he’s a locked winner right now.

in my view TIA has won for them to clear the grammy image

ReplyCopy URL
    dOminiK13_
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe that if Shallow went to 2020 Gaga would be with SOTY, ROTY and AOTY. but they chose 2019 instead of 2020

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Somewhat agree. Even if Shallow wasn’t the biggest song in the world, the song itself is pretty baity and most voter had heard it. Plus, given that she did surprise in Pop Solo, I don’t think that she won because the song was too new or because she didn’t have support. I just think people looked at This Is America and voted for it given how impactful it was for a period of time. But the bigger message is that voters vote for songs that they consider impactful rather and that they don’t always vote for the generic safe ballad. I think Capaldi stands a chance, but I don’t think he’s a locked winner right now.

Ok, but we don’t have something as sensational as TIA.

TUN, Bad Guy and Sucker are forgettable and generic and will NOT win. So this is the type of years you’d expect a better smaller hit to upset.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

And there wasn’t a non-hit song that won Best Pop Solo Performance since the creation of that category, yet it happened last year. Either way, by the time the vote happens, Someone You Loved will be a top 10 hit.

It might reach in the top 10, but I doubt it will be in the top #10 and will against Ariana Grande, Post Malone, Lil Nas X, Halsey and Billie Eilish. He’s a relatively unknown person, but just has a hit song from Britain. He’s not really that interesting.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Ok, but we don’t have something as sensational as TIA.

TUN, Bad Guy and Sucker are forgettable and generic and will NOT win. So this is the type of years you’d expect a better smaller hit to upset.

I mean, sure, but what makes Someone You Loved any better than those? It’s literally just a piano and Capaldi, it’s not really interesting, and Capaldi actually gets a ton of hate from critics and even most avid music listeners. It’s not really a “loved” song by many, and it’s pretty average overall. It’s Adele if Adele lacked any self awareness and poise.

Not hating on Capaldi (I was actually the first person to bring him up in these forums late last year before Someone You Loved became a thing), but it’s not this big “Someone Like You” moment that everyone loves and agrees that is good, and it’s not even as well produced as Stay With Me, that actually has a full om choir and drums and, you know, instruments.

I still think the winners will be split this year. Someone You Loved would be the most bare-minimum song to win Record of the Year in a while if not ever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

It might reach in the top 10, but I doubt it will be in the top #10 and will against Ariana Grande, Post Malone, Lil Nas X, Halsey and Billie Eilish. He’s a relatively unknown person, but just has a hit song from Britain. He’s not really that interesting.

I think that song has the legs to get to #1 if his team manages it properly. Winter is coming, which means that slower songs will get boosts. If they can milk the hell out of it these next 2 months, it’ll rocket up the radio charts past October, which would be a shame considering the song is really not that good. I wished Grace and One were the huge crossover singles, not Someone You Loved.

This is “Pray” over “Palace” all over again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey y’all went batshit crazy! Lewis Capaldi WILL NOT get any nominations this year except maybe Pop Solo, but really, if Shawn Mendes, Sam Smith and Justin Timberlake are all male pop stars that are struggling to get pop nominations, why will an unknown boring male pop artist (notice I didn’t even say pop star), will get some love in the general field. I don’t think so.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that song has the legs to get to #1 if his team manages it properly. Winter is coming, which means that slower songs will get boosts. If they can milk the hell out of it these next 2 months, it’ll rocket up the radio charts past October, which would be a shame considering the song is really not that good. I wished Grace and One were the huge crossover singles, not Someone You Loved. This is “Pray” over “Palace” all over again.

Remember when y’all were saying that Perfect Duet were  gonna be in and going to win ROTY? Or that Shallow was going to win SOTY? Honey don’t act delusional! We might stan some artists, but this goes too far!

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Sheehan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Closing this thread – continue it in Part 10.

ReplyCopy URL
    PleaseFeedTheTroll
    Participant
    Topics:

Would there even be a narrative to force a Gaga sweep? ASIB, regardless of receipts Gaga stans try to push in every argument, seems so long ago. “Shallow” would have undoubtedly won SOTY/ROTY this year, but that’s just a missed opportunity. Gaga won three Grammys this year, and could win one in the Movie/Soundtrack categories. There’s really no need to push a sweep when she was rewarded properly last year.

I do wonder about this Lewis Capaldi person. His song, like “Truth Hurts,” is blowing up at the end of eligibility and will probably soar during the Fall months.

That is just being pushed by radio stations, so it is not really a hit song or comparable to Truth Hurts, which is an outright smashing single.

ReplyCopy URL
    PleaseFeedTheTroll
    Participant
    Topics:

The downside of something as massive as OTR is that it will be more popular than anything Lil Nas X ever releases. He will need another big hit or two for people not to see him as a “one-hit wonder,” even if he is technically not one.

I believe he will be nominated for BNA now. His label is really pushing him as a “real artist.” I wouldn’t be surprised at a nomination for YBN Cordae as well.

No on else in history has a song as big as Old Town Road, so that is not saying much of anything.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

That is just being pushed by radio stations, so it is not really a hit song or comparable to Truth Hurts, which is an outright smashing single.

His song is growing on streaming and in sales. It’s becoming a legitimate hit.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 541 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.