Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions: Pop Field (Part 3)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions: Pop Field (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 408 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +41 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
M
Boz
  • 24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I seriously don’t think a live version of “High Hopes” will be submitted. I think Panic! will instead submit “Hey Look Ma I Made It”, which was a Top 40 hit as well (though not as big by any means).

Either way, I do not expect a win for either track. Panic! is not on the level of Grammy respect as Pharrell or Adele where they could win with a live track. And “Ma” wasn’t massive enough or Grammy-friendly enough to win.

I do think the Jonas Brothers are currently leading in Pop Duo/Group for the win. I don’t see Post Malone winning (even if his song is great). Camilla/Shawn won’t win… they are too new of artists and skew too young. If Sam Smith gets in with “Dancing…” he will lose because of Normani (too new).

It really depends on who ends up getting nominated. I think people are sleeping on the potential of Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber winning for “I Don’t Care.” While it’s not the greatest song in the world, the Grammys do love Ed (especially in the pop categories) and Bieber is a former Grammy winner. They might end up being the only former Grammy winners in the category as well. The song went to #1 at radio, so it reached a wide audience. I’d still give the edge to Jonas though, but Sheeran is loved.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I seriously don’t think a live version of “High Hopes” will be submitted. I think Panic! will instead submit “Hey Look Ma I Made It”, which was a Top 40 hit as well (though not as big by any means).

One was released right before deadline:
    https://music.apple.com/us/album/high-hopes-live-single/1477853147

Sheeow
    Participant
    Topics:

I seriously don’t think a live version of “High Hopes” will be submitted. I think Panic! will instead submit “Hey Look Ma I Made It”, which was a Top 40 hit as well (though not as big by any means). Either way, I do not expect a win for either track. Panic! is not on the level of Grammy respect as Pharrell or Adele where they could win with a live track. And “Ma” wasn’t massive enough or Grammy-friendly enough to win. I do think the Jonas Brothers are currently leading in Pop Duo/Group for the win. I don’t see Post Malone winning (even if his song is great). Camilla/Shawn won’t win… they are too new of artists and skew too young. If Sam Smith gets in with “Dancing…” he will lose because of Normani (too new). It really depends on who ends up getting nominated. I think people are sleeping on the potential of Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber winning for “I Don’t Care.” While it’s not the greatest song in the world, the Grammys do love Ed (especially in the pop categories) and Bieber is a former Grammy winner. They might end up being the only former Grammy winners in the category as well. The song went to #1 at radio, so it reached a wide audience. I’d still give the edge to Jonas though, but Sheeran is loved.

Perfect Duet was snubbed in a seven song line up and Bieber only won as a feature and Skrillex is kinda a dance category favorite.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo may be being underestimated for a Pop Solo Performance nomination. “Juice” has had a resurgence in sales and streams and just re-entered the Hot 100 at a new peak of #82 despite it no longer being the radio push from Cuz I Love You.

chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

One could argue that 1. Lizzo/Juice 2. Lewis Capaldi/SYL 3. Lana/Doin Time are contenders for a pop solo nomination, and probably in that order. I’m not comfortable predicting them (yet) but I wouldn’t be surprised.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

There is just no way in hell Juice is going to make it in a competitive Best Pop Solo Performance category this year. I see it as literally 0.1%

The likely contenders are Ariana, Billie, Gaga, Lewis Capaldi, Halsey, Taylor Swift and to a lesser extent Shawn Mendes. 2 of them will miss out already. I don’t see any room for a non-hit from someone who isn’t proven to be a Grammy darling in the eyes of pop voters.

Donchano
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that Perfect Duet, a phucking ballad song with Beyonce name attached to it failed to get a single nomination, there’s no way I Don’t Care can make it imo. But I love the element of surprise.

Donchano
    Participant
    Topics:

Holy sheet some of you can’t even hide your hatred towards Taylor. Like it or not she is frontrunner for pop field, just deal with it. Can’t simply put Lover and Reputation at same situation especially the later was released when Taylor hate bandwagon was so intense + the fact LWYMMD got zero nomination for both VMA/2018 Grammy already showed us sign that industry didn’t like dark and edgy Taylor.

Greg
    Participant
    Topics:

Holy sheet some of you can’t even hide your hatred towards Taylor. Like it or not she is frontrunner for pop field, just deal with it. Can’t simply put Lover and Reputation at same situation especially the later was released when Taylor hate bandwagon was so intense + the fact LWYMMD got zero nomination for both VMA/2018 Grammy already showed us sign that industry didn’t like dark and edgy Taylor.

How is Lover the frontrunner when Ariana, Billie and Gaga have all better Metacritic scores and have all been certified platinium? And Gaga sold more than 6 million copies worldwide for A Star os Born, probably a number Lover will never achieve. Just wondering…

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Swifties dont understand that the pop field has never been kind to Taylor like that. She has only been nominated for an undeniable hit and considering she missed with a radio smash like Delicate (that was predicted for SOTY nom), she can easily miss here. Her pop image is still divisive among voters.

JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

High Hopes (Live) in Pop Duo is a possibility. To be the biggest hit here doesn’t help and last year line up (with Tony Bennett, Backstreets Boys and Christina) shows they’ll go for whatever they like it.

It’s a bet, as every prediction, and I’ll go for it because I think High Hopes is a good song and fit perfect alongside previous winners kind of song.

Breathe
    Participant
    Topics:

High Hopes (Live) is like Havana (Live) 2.0 for me, a lot of people, including myself, were expecting it to win because it was the biggest hit out of all the nominees but it still lost to Joanne (Piano Version). I think High Hopes (Live) will be PATD’S reward. Since they don’t have a good tracking grammy history I can see Senorita or Sucker winning this category, or even Gaga & Bradley again. I think what hurts Gaga & Bradley winning is that they just won pop duo/group this year.

nicole94
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like it’s between senorita or sucker. Idk how they feel about the Jonas brothers but they made a pretty solid pop album and sucker is a quintessential pop song. I think they’ve taken a liking to shawn. Even though it’s only two nominations the fact that he got in the general field with a song that wasn’t even top 10, and in pop vocal with an album that didn’t spawn any monster hits says something.. whether y’all say he’s a filler or not… last years nominations were a surprised to me for him

supermodelslegs
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like it’s between senorita or sucker. Idk how they feel about the Jonas brothers but they made a pretty solid pop album and sucker is a quintessential pop song. I think they’ve taken a liking to shawn. Even though it’s only two nominations the fact that he got in the general field with a song that wasn’t even top 10, and in pop vocal with an album that didn’t spawn any monster hits says something.. whether y’all say he’s a filler or not… last years nominations were a surprised to me for him

The Jonas Brothers were nominated for BNA back in 2009. The narrative behind Sucker winning is better than Senorita IMO, with a huge comeback album, concert, and documentary.

nicole94
    Participant
    Topics:

I would agree with that

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 408 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards Predictions: Pop Field (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.