Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions: Pop Field (Part 3)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions: Pop Field (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 408 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +41 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
M
Boz
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Split votes happen all the time in the Pop Field.

The only times the winner of Pop Album lost their corresponding pop category (Pop Solo, Pop Duo/Group, Pop Collaboration, Female/Male Pop Vocal, etc.), when both artists were nominated for Pop Album:

2014 – Bruno Mars in Pop Album, Lorde in Pop Solo
    2002 – Sade in Pop Album, Nelly Furtado in Female Pop Vocal
    1997 – Celine Dion in Pop Album, Toni Braxton in Female Pop Vocal

It’s happened, but not “all the time.”

Show Me The Receipts!
    Participant
    Topics:

AND Sam Smith lost Pop Solo to Pharrell in 2015. Yet won Pop Album.

The Grammys tend to spread the wealth in the Pop Field unless an artist has an undeniable year like Adele.

Billie was big but not THAT huge. Ariana’s songs were much bigger and sustained longevity. Both could win.

My name is NOT Susan.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

AND Sam Smith lost Pop Solo to Pharrell in 2015. Yet won Pop Album.

when both artists were nominated for Pop Album

Pharrell was nominated in Urban Contemporary Album, not Pop Album.

Ariana’s songs were much bigger

That is definitely not true. Check the numbers.

The Grammys tend to spread the wealth in the Pop Field

In the 8 years since they condensed the pop field, the same artist has won 2/3 of the pop categories (not counting Traditional Pop Album) 4 times, including Lady Gaga winning Pop Solo and Duo/Group this past year. It’s 50-50.

And a lot of those other times (the lone exception being Bruno and Lorde), the Pop Album winner lost Pop Solo to a song from an album that was either (a) not eligible that year (“Thinking Out Loud,” “Set Fire to the Rain”) or (b) nominated in a different genre category (Pharrell).

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana “songs”? Lol. Let’s not act like “7 Rings” would stand a chance to begin with. Heck I could see that song being shut out altogether. The category isn’t as weak as it used to be back then.

Show Me The Receipts!
    Participant
    Topics:

Hits tend to win Pop Solo. Hence why Sam Smith lost to Pharrell.

I’m not even an Ariana Grande stan, but it’s apparent her hits were much bigger than Billie’s. That’s not even up for debate.

TUN & 7R stayed at #1 for weeks, broke streaming records, and stayed on the charts for a considerable amount of time.

Ariana was the “it” girl of 2019. She’s a previous winner. So how is a Pop Solo win not conceivable?

My name is NOT Susan.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank U, Next and 7 rings are both nearing 7x Platinum. It really isn’t far fetched for her to win Pop Solo, specially with the former; Bad Guy is way more niche that it.

JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure the Grammys exactly looks at vocal prowess when considering nominees and winners in the Pop Solo Performance category. Have songs with vocal prowess won in the past? Sure. But also, songs like “Royals” and “Happy” that aren’t exactly big on vocals have won too. Remember, this category merges three former categories; Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, Best Male Pop Vocal Performance and Best Pop Instrumental Performance.

Before, it was sort of the trend that the best singer, vocally, would have the cake. Now, I’m starting to notice, especially following the merger, that this category has somewhat become Record of the Year but for pop performances alone.

So, in my opinion, if songs like “Royals” can win here, “bad guy” has a great chance of winning here as well.

JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana “songs”? Lol. Let’s not act like “7 Rings” would stand a chance to begin with. Heck I could see that song being shut out altogether. The category isn’t as weak as it used to be back then.

Following what I said in my previous post, I’m pretty sure “7 rings” does stand a chance. It’s, for me, one of the more entertaining and catchy tracks. However, I’m not ruling out her great vocals on “imagine” and her performance on “thank u, next,” but “7 rings,” for me, might just be Ariana’s frontrunner submission.

6 GOD
    Participant
    Topics:

“7 Rings” was bigger than “Bad Guy”. “thank u, next” and “Bad Guy” are neck and neck, as the former didn’t have longevity, but at its peak, the phrase “thank u, next” was everywhere along with the song. Pop Solo remains Ariana’s biggest chance to win this year. The category isn’t locked for Billie.

Tasiandee
    Participant
    Topics:

Normani hang out at Grammy Academy/Offices yesterday… She’s fighting for one of those spots.. Pop Duo/Group is more likely

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Tasiandee.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Tasiandee.
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Sales
    7 Rings – 453k
    Thank U, Next – 452k
    Bad Guy – 428k

Spotify
    Bad Guy – 933,562,150
    Thank U, Next – 897,072,205
    7 Rings – 866,647,023

YouTube
    7 Rings – 566,741,996
    Bad Guy – 540,448,669
    Thank U, Next – 426,672,266

That’s why I said check the numbers. “Bad Guy” is newer than both of those Ariana songs and yet it’s on par with them sales-wise, and has passed both in streams.

Show Me The Receipts!
    Participant
    Topics:

“7 Rings” was bigger than “Bad Guy”. “thank u, next” and “Bad Guy” are neck and neck, as the former didn’t have longevity, but at its peak, the phrase “thank u, next” was everywhere along with the song. Pop Solo remains Ariana’s biggest chance to win this year. The category isn’t locked for Billie.

Agreed. Ariana’s songs have had a more significant impact on popular culture than Billie’s. TUN surpassed “Problem” as her signature song. 7R is her biggest hit yet.

Users who are predicting Billie to sweep Pop & GF, have yet to give a legitimate reason as to why Ariana will lose Pop Solo.

My name is NOT Susan.

chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

Pop Solo: Ariana
    Pop Album: Billie
    Pop Duo/Group: ???

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Users who are predicting Billie to sweep Pop & GF, have yet to give a legitimate reason as to why Ariana will lose Pop Solo.

Literally no one has even said this. All I have done is point out Billie’s numbers while you’re completely trying to write off her chances for no reason at all.

And both of them could end up losing to Lady Gaga anyway.

Show Me The Receipts!
    Participant
    Topics:

Pop Solo: Ariana
    Pop Album: Billie
    Pop Duo/Group: ???

I wouldn’t be surprised if OTR won Pop Duo/Group……

My name is NOT Susan.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 408 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Awards Predictions: Pop Field (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.