Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions: Pop Field (Part 3)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions: Pop Field (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 427 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
52 mins ago
replies
views
users
Darren
Aaliyah
M
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not even convinced “Someone You Loved” will get a Pop Solo nomination, let alone win.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie’s album is also a critical and commercial hit, and has had more longevity than Lover likely will, so what is your point? The same can be said about Ariana, for that matter.

There’s no question, the three of them are commercial and critical hits. I agree.

But which sound and timing is really the best here? I’m more tempted to give the edge to Taylor Swift. Initially I was going to rule out any nomination for her in the pop field. But I changed my mind after the album release. This is pure Grammy bait. And it’s well received so far.

Billie has had a great year. But the reason I’m not comfortable predicting her winning, especially over a good TS album, is because her sound may not sound like “real singing” to old white men, which make up the majority of the voters whether we like it or not.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

And how is Taylor a “real singer”?

If you think it boils down to pure vocal ability (which it doesn’t), there is one obvious frontrunner, but you obviously won’t admit who that is.

ReplyCopy URL
    John_White38
    Participant
    Topics:

And how is Taylor a “real singer”? If you think it boils down to pure vocal ability (which it doesn’t), there is one obvious frontrunner, but you obviously won’t admit who that is.

In terms of singing ability:

1. Ariana

2. Taylor

3. Billie

But Grammys dont care about that very much.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I can see Lewis Calpaldi coming through in Pop Solo if he manages the nomination and his song becomes an even bigger hit.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

And how is Taylor a “real singer”? If you think it boils down to pure vocal ability (which it doesn’t), there is one obvious frontrunner, but you obviously won’t admit who that is.

I never said it’s about vocal ability. If that was the case, Kelly Clarkson or Pink would’ve won last year. Neither did.

And yes if it boils down to vocal ability, Ariana will have an advantage this year, but it doesn’t.

The issue with Billie though is that she’s more whispering than singing. Everytime my Amazon Echo plays a song of hers I have to increase the volume. And you know old white people don’t usually have great hearing.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  M.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Everytime my Amazon Echo plays a song of hers I have to increase the volume.

That sounds more like a personal problem than a prediction.

I don’t remember Norah Jones or John Mayer having any trouble winning, and they have a soft vocal delivery too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

LMFAOOOOO, is that an actual defense?

Taylor is doing exactly how we said she’d do. Reviews are respectable, sure, but they don’t have the enthusiasm of Billie or Ariana’s album. Taylor will have a great first week as she usually does but frontloaded. Did she even win Pop Album with 1989? I still think she’s third. I don’t know why the Swifties are trying to make it seem like she has usurped expectations as a reason for why she will be this huge player.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Did she even win Pop Album with 1989? I still think she’s third.

She did.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Did she even win Pop Album with 1989?

She did.

But there’s the matter of Reputation losing that category this year, Red and Speak Now both losing Country Album, and her debut album not even being nominated. Only 2 of her 6 albums (not counting Lover) have won Grammys.

I don’t understand the mentality that she’s an automatic threat with anything she releases. The last two years should have proven she’s definitely not.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

I just checked and she did. But still, 1989 had undeniable hits and was a huge pop era. The Grammys only reward her when she’s soaring the whole year and even then, they don’t allow her to sweep. She has trouble with winning genre categories and can be very susceptible to a loss. FWIW, she *could* snag a SOTY nod for Lover but I’m using that lightly.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I just checked and she did. But still, 1989 had undeniable hits and was a huge pop era.

The category was also extremely weak. The only remote threat to her winning was the boomer vote going to James Taylor.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Lewis Capaldi is a non factor. Shawn Mendes is blowing up at the perfect time with two massive hits. He will take his spot in Pop solo.

Shawn Mendes couldn’t get in Pop Solo with his most grammy-baity song ever over Joanne and Colors. I doubt he’ll be in this year. He’ll just get a Pop Duo/GP nomination that he will lose.

He’s just becoming a JB at this point, especially with his racist tweets that resurfaced.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I fail to see how Lewis Capaldi is any different than Ed Sheeran, James Arthur, Hozier, James Bay, Meghan Trainor, Passenger, Shawn Mendes, Julia Michaels, and all the other new artists who missed Pop Solo with their late-Grammy-season breakthrough hits.

He even fits the same mold as those other artists.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Yep, he’s a lot like those artists. That’s why he’s nowhere near a lock.

However, IF he manages the nomination, then he could be a threat. AC and Hot AC will probably keep that song around until winter.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 427 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.