Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions: Pop Field (Part 4)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions: Pop Field (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 398 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Cameron
M
More Than a W..
  • Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Most Katy Perry pop solo nominations: I kissed a girl, Teenage Dream, Firework, Roar

It’s easy to say that now in retrospect, now that she’s been flopping. But back in the day, Katy Perry was certainly viewed as one of the main contenders. She was most definitely #2 behind Gaga with Teenage Dream for example. So she did have a chance to win. But she was just outdone by Gaga.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

The funny thing is that Lewis Capaldi is not even a lock for a nomination. As you’ve conveniently ignored every single time when it’s been brought up, lots of newer acts with big breakthrough hits have been shut out of Pop Solo, including Meghan Trainor, Ed Sheeran, James Bay, Hozier, James Arthur, etc. Lewis Capaldi could very well join that list.

Ariana has been nominated in this category three times previously and this is the biggest hit she’s had eligible in this category. She also just won a Grammy in a different pop category this year. She’s so obviously in, and you’re so obviously grasping at straws to make it look like she could miss this nomination when she clearly won’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

The funny thing is that Lewis Capaldi is not even a lock for a nomination. As you’ve conveniently ignored every single time when it’s been brought up, lots of newer acts with big breakthrough hits have been shut out of Pop Solo, including Meghan Trainor, Ed Sheeran, James Bay, Hozier, James Arthur, etc. Lewis Capaldi could very well join that list.

Ariana has been nominated in this category three times previously and this is the biggest hit she’s had eligible in this category. She also just won a Grammy in a different pop category this year. She’s so obviously in, and you’re so obviously grasping at straws to make it look like she could miss this nomination when she clearly won’t.

One last question, can you please rank the potential nominees in order of their likelihood to make it in Pop Solo? I’m curious to see how you view each then.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

One last question, can you please rank the potential nominees in order of their likelihood to make it in Pop Solo? I’m curious to see how you view each then.

1/2/3. Bad Guy/Truth Hurts/7 Rings (all locks)
    4. Always Remember Us This Way
    5. Someone You Loved
    6. Without Me
    7/8. You Need to Calm Down/If I Can’t Have You
    9. Walk Me Home

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    More Than a Woman
    Topics:

This is random but am I the only one still gagged that Camila Cabello managed to get into Pop Solo for a “live” version released days before the deadline. Now this year everybody is scrambling for a nomination in this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elusive Chanteuse
    Topics:

I’m genuinely curious why Taylor submitted YNTCD to Pop Solo when Lover is clearly the superior song. Does anyone have an idea or a clue as of why?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nicole94
    Topics:

I’m all for Ed submitting beautiful people to the GF because it’s simply a much better song… but I still think IDC had more of a chance because as mediocre as it is it was still a smash hit and it was very catchy. I don’t think beautiful people will get in anywhere

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I’m genuinely curious why Taylor submitted YNTCD to Pop Solo when Lover is clearly the superior song. Does anyone have an idea or a clue as of why?

Familiarity. It’s already peaked on pop radio, it’s currently in the top 5 at HAC, and won VOTY at the VMAs. “Lover” still has a lot of room to grow. The latter could reasonably make it in the top 20 most voted songs for SOTY (which is what it has to do be considered for that category), while it may struggle to get in the top 5 for Pop Solo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I’m all for Ed submitting beautiful people to the GF because it’s simply a much better song… but I still think IDC had more of a chance because as mediocre as it is it was still a smash hit and it was very catchy. I don’t think beautiful people will get in anywhere

It won’t.

If they didn’t think “I Don’t Care” had a shot in the GF, they should have gone balls to the wall and put “Blow” there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

My Predictions:

Pop Solo:
    Bad Guy
    7 rings
    Truth Hurts
    Someone You Loved
    Without Me
    6th: You need to calm down

Pop Duo/Group:
    Old Town Road
    Sucker
    Sunflower
    Señorita
    Dancing with a stranger
    6th: I don’t care

Pop Vocal Album:
    Thank you, next
    When we fall asleep…
    Lover
    Norman Fucking Rockwell
    No.6 Collaborations Project
    6th: Happiness Begins

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Honestly I’m way more excited for this year than last year. Because there’s going to be some high-profile snubs inevitably.

The weak category is Album of the year though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

Familiarity. It’s already peaked on pop radio, it’s currently in the top 5 at HAC, and won VOTY at the VMAs. “Lover” still has a lot of room to grow. The latter could reasonably make it in the top 20 most voted songs for SOTY (which is what it has to do be considered for that category), while it may struggle to get in the top 5 for Pop Solo.

True. In fact Taylor’s submissions were really smart.

IMO the artists with the most smart submissions are Taylor, Gaga & Beyoncé. They submitted the best with what they had.

While the artists with the most dumb submissions are Lizzo, Lana, Robyn and Anderson .Paak (it was the frontrunner to win R&B album but he didn’t submit it).

Ariana’s only dumb submission was 7 rings for Pop solo but she’s still getting a nomination anyways.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

Lana should’ve chose Doin’ Time or Hope for Pop Solo. The greatest for Best Rock Song and maybe even Rock Performance

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BYEDON2020
    Topics:

Those who don’t have Gaga over Ariana, Billie, Lizzo, Hasley, and Lewis Capaldi, you have been warned.

If you are in the US, vote! It’s important if live in the following swing states: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Radiogagahead
    Topics:

Updated post-submissions predictions:

Best Pop Solo Performance
    “7 Rings”- Ariana Grande
    “Always Remember Us This Way”- Lady Gaga
    “Bad Guy”- Billie Eilish
    “If I Can’t Have You”- Shawn Mendes
    “Truth Hurts”- Lizzo

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance
    “Dancing With a Stranger”- Sam Smith & Normani
    “Old Town Road”- Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus
    “Señorita”- Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello
    “Sucker”- Jonas Brothers
    “Sunflower”- Post Malone feat. Swae Lee

Best Pop Vocal Album
    Lover– Taylor Swift
    No. 6 Collaborations Project– Ed Sheeran
    Norman Fucking Rockwell!– Lana Del Rey
    Thank U, Next– Ariana Grande
    When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?– Billie Eilish

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 398 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.