Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards Predictions: R&B Field (Part 3)

2020 Grammy Awards Predictions: R&B Field (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 137 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
Cameron
cheyenne_lee
Darren
  • Profile picture
    cheyenne lee
    Topics:

Solange is not getting nominated in the slightest. Her album, if you can call it anything else besides white noise, was left on release day.

I think she’ll get an Urban Contemporary nomination and lose it, deservedly, to Lizzo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    More Than a Woman
    Topics:

Solange makes music for the black hippies and afro-feminists like me. But she isn’t getting nominated with this weird album this time. The fact that she got no Soul Train noms is a BIG red flag and the fact that Chris Brown got an AOTY nom is astonishing. Chris Brown is definitely taking her spot in Urban Contemporary.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    More Than a Woman
    Topics:

People seem to forget how loved Chris Brown is in the r&b/urban field. I know this sounds crazy but I wouldn’t be surprised if he swipes Urban Contemporary from Lizzo and Beyonce(if she’s nominated)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

People seem to forget how loved Chris Brown is in the r&b/urban field. I know this sounds crazy but I wouldn’t be surprised if he swipes Urban Contemporary from Lizzo and Beyonce(if she’s nominated)

Chris is NOT winning Urban Contemporary if Lizzo is nominated. That category is usually reserved for artists with the most nominations, most popular album or most buzz. Lizzo would fit any of those bills. If Khalid is nominated, Chris wouldn’t touch his spot either. Chris only has one win to date, and he had to win in a year when he was going up against urban AC acts, benefited from a massive Beyoncé snub and had a campaign to save his career.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

Urban Contemporary Album:

Lizzo – Cuz I Love You (Deluxe)
    Steve Lacy – Apollo XXI
    Chris Brown – Indigo
    Khalid – Free Spirit
    Solange – When I Get Home

Best R&B Performance:

Girls Need Love – Summer Walker & Drake
    Shea Butter Baby – Ari Lennox & J. Cole
    Honesty – Pink Sweat$
    Before I Let Go – Beyoncé
    Trip – Ella Mai

Best R&B Song :

Brown Skin Girl – Beyoncé, WizKid,Saint Jhn
    Raise A Man – Alicia Keys
    No Guidance – Chris Brown f/ Drake
    Make It Better – Anderson .Paak f/ Smokey Robinson
    Talk – Khalid

Best R&B Album:

PAUL – PJ Morton
    Caution – Mariah Carey
    Ella Mai – Ella Mai
    Shea Butter Baby – Ari Lennox

Traditional R&B:

*Need to see all the submissions under this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    cheyenne lee
    Topics:

Urban Contemporary Album: Lizzo – Cuz I Love You (Deluxe) Steve Lacy – Apollo XXI Chris Brown – Indigo Beyoncé – Homecoming: The Live Album Khalid – Free Spirit Best R&B Performance: Girls Need Love – Summer Walker & Drake Shea Butter Baby – Ari Lennox & J. Cole Love Again – Daniel Caesar & Brandy Before I Let Go – Beyoncé Trip – Ella Mai Best R&B Song : Trip – Ella Mai Raise A Man – Alicia Keys No Guidance – Chris Brown f/ Drake Make It Better – Anderson .Paak f/ Smokey Robinson Talk – Khalid Best R&B Album: PAUL – PJ Morton Caution – Mariah Carey I Used to Know Her – H.E.R Ella Mai – Ella Mai Shea Butter Baby – Ari Lennox Traditional R&B: *Need to see all the submissions under this category.

I agree with everything except Alicia Keys in Best R&B Song and Daniel Caesar in Best R&B Performance. Raise A Man was cute but had no commercial impact/ Urban AC airplay (she was also snubbed for her last studio album). Daniel Caesar’s career and image has taken a huge hit since he won last time and whilst I’m a huge fan of Brandy, “Love Again” just feels too reminiscent of “Best Part”, albeit without the impact. I’d be more inclined to pick a song that had heavy Urban AC rotation (e.g. Monica – Commitment, Mariah Carey – With You)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

I agree with everything except Alicia Keys in Best R&B Song and Daniel Caesar in Best R&B Performance. Raise A Man was cute but had no commercial impact/ Urban AC airplay (she was also snubbed for her last studio album). Daniel Caesar’s career and image has taken a huge hit since he won last time and whilst I’m a huge fan of Brandy, “Love Again” just feels too reminiscent of “Best Part”, albeit without the impact. I’d be more inclined to pick a song that had heavy Urban AC rotation (e.g. Monica – Commitment, Mariah Carey – With You)

You klnow I wanted to predict Mariah lol. I want to say Giving ME Life though over With You. But I just think that the Grammys wont embrace her and R&B ALbum is her best shot.

If this was based on my personal taste then half of these wouldn’t be “contenders”.

If it were up to me Snoh Aaalegra would sweep the R&B field this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    cheyenne lee
    Topics:

You klnow I wanted to predict Mariah lol. I want to say Giving ME Life though over With You. But I just think that the Grammys wont embrace her and R&B ALbum is her best shot. If this was based on my personal taste then half of these wouldn’t be “contenders”. If it were up to me Snoh Aaalegra would sweep the R&B field this year.

In an ideal world Mariah would sweep 🥴 but that ain’t happening (unless the academy decide to give her reparations) and yeah Best R&B Album is her best shot, if she gets nominated I can actually see her winning. I’m still holding out hope that they’ll give her at least one song nomination to go with the album nomination. I still think Monica has a HUGE shot at Best R&B Performance because Commitment was all over Urban AC radio!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

“Giving Me Life” is the best song on Caution.

The Grammys would be petty to overlook Mariah’s best work in over a decade.

Portrait is the best IMO. But GML is one of her best songs she’s made.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    cheyenne lee
    Topics:

“Giving Me Life” is the best song on Caution. The Grammys would be petty to overlook Mariah’s best work in over a decade.

I think so but it depends how receptive the committee are to Caution as a whole. She could potentially walk away with 3-4 nominations or she could walk away with nothing.

The featuring artists on “Giving Me Life” potentially make it somewhat of a contender (Slick Rick – a hip hop pioneer/ veteran and Blood Orange – an up and coming avant garde alt-R&B artist/producer). It’s like a blend of traditional, contemporary and futuristic R&B – so it could appeal to different segments of the committee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Did Alicia Keys submit “Show Me Love” for consideration? It seems that it’s the song she is promoting to the Grammy voters…
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B4DjUZdAkka/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

Did Alicia Keys submit “Show Me Love” for consideration? It seems that it’s the song she is promoting to the Grammy voters…
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B4DjUZdAkka/

No. That song was released after the deadline. She submitted Raise a Man.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.