Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Awards: Reactions to winners (and losers) – Part 5

2020 Grammy Awards: Reactions to winners (and losers) – Part 5

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 537 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
Babygirl
Darren
  • Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

The GP has taste for once

16.5 million still makes it the most viewed award show.

Awards ratings have been going down for years as people just watch online or at least the clips on YouTube and social media. I’m sure it pulled in a ton of views on the net.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Billie won because she campaigned hard and the Academy sided with Finneas. He swept ALL of his nominations; Billie did not.

If it was just because of Finneas, she would have lost Best New Artist as well. Billie lost her one award because it was a heavily competitive race in all of the categories she was in. I doubt it was some kind of statement vote against her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

I wonder if Ariana would have won Pop solo over Lizzo if she had submitted Thank u, next (song).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I wonder if Ariana would have won Pop solo over Lizzo if she had submitted Thank u, next (song).

Doubt it. Billie beat Ariana everywhere else, including in another pop category. And “Thank U, Next” was about as popular as “7 Rings,” and even less fresh.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

If it was just because of Finneas, she would have lost Best New Artist as well. Billie lost her one award because it was a heavily competitive race in all of the categories she was in. I doubt it was some kind of statement vote against her.

I don’t think it was solely because of him, but I think Billie was favored in all of the major categories because Finneas was favored among those producers, engineers, etc.

Billie was always the frontrunner for BNA, and Lizzo was a close second.

There was a bit of monotony by giving her all of the major trophies when you had other options that was just as successful and acclaimed, and I was hoping that it would not happen.

At least they weren’t that lazy to just give her the pop category because “Truth Hurts” IS a better performance than “Bad Guy,” which is mostly all production. So, I don’t have an issue with its ROTY win. “Truth Hurts” deserved its Pop Solo win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Robinladen
    Topics:

16.5 million still makes it the most viewed award show.

Awards ratings have been going down for years as people just watch online or at least the clips on YouTube and social media. I’m sure it pulled in a ton of views on the net.

Okay bet they managed to stay stable last year, it’s not like the climate changed drastically the past year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    smurty11
    Topics:

The 2020 GRAMMYs viewership hits an ALL-TIME LOW with 16.54 MILLION views— a drop of nearly 3.4 MILLION views.

(Young) People don’t watch award shows live anymore…DVR, YouTube, CBS All Access. They still watch the show

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Billie won AOTY because the’s the safe popular choice duh, as usual, every single year…

These are things that decrease your likelihood of winning among old white dudes from Idaho:
    – Being a confident sexual woman (Beyoncé, Gaga, Ariana, Lizzo)
    – Being black (Lil Nas X, Lizzo etc..)
    – Being LGBT (Lil Nas X)

Billie was none of those.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MrOceanBlueEyes
    Topics:

Billie reminds me of Fearless era Taylor. I see a lot of similarities in their wins.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

Fun fact: Billie Eilish has now the same amount of Grammys as Mariah Carey and has more GF wins than Beyonce, Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift combined. I am still shocked that Billie lost what appeared to be one of the biggest locks- Pop Solo. Also, I am still surprised she didn’t get into BMV- she would win there too easily.

bad guy was a direct ripoff of Toilet Paper magazine

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rosalie
    Topics:

The fact that Rosalía actually lost to the cringe-worthy teenager is so disappointing.

A brave, feminist woman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Robinladen
    Topics:

Billie is an inspired choice. Stop hating. Glad they got it right and didn’t go for an actual safe choice like Vampire Weekend.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    That Don Guy
    Topics:

If I was in charge of the Grammys this is what I’d change:

1. Combine Record of the Year and Song of the Year and just call it Record of the Year. Award the artist(s), producer(s) and songwriter(s) with one award instead of splitting, as voters clearly don’t make any distinction between the two.

7. Get rid or combine the majority of those Classical categories. Not sure why there’s so many – most of them are awarding the same thing. There’s other categories I think should be combined in other genres but I can’t be bothered going into detail.

Here’s my crazy idea for #1: have the same person/group (back when Glee was on, I would say, “New Directions”) perform all five of the SOTY nominees, and “ask” the voters to base it on those performances. Anyone who responds that you don’t get the “intent of the performance” that way should be reminded that things like “intent” are why ROTY exists in the first place.

As for #7, this will solve a few problems at once; have separate awards shows for the different genres. After all, there’s a Latin Grammys; why not a Classical Grammys (on PBS), a Country Grammys, a Rock Grammys, and so on, that give out those genre’s awards? The main telecast could focus on the “big four” and the Pop categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Djoko
    Topics:

The Grammys aren’t racist – they’ve honored many people of color in the general field over the years. However, they are biased against Rap, Urban, and R&B. They don’t honor hard rock in the general field either, does that make them racist against certain white people?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Billie was not a safe choice lol

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 537 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.