Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 13)

2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 808 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +33 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
Pauly Antonio
Boz
  • Marlon G
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Lizzo pop? I see so many predictions and articles predicting she’ll get in Best Pop Solo and Pop Vocal Album??

ReplyCopy URL
    Marlon G
    Participant
    Topics:

Predictions 2020 Grammys (Not In Order)
    Album Of The Year

1. Lady Gaga- A Star Is Born
    2. Billie Eilish- When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
    3. Ariana Grande- Thank U, Next
    4. Anderson Paak.- Ventura
    5. Tyler The Creator- Igor
    6. The 1975- A Brief Inquiries Into Online Relationships
    7. Vampire Weekend- Father Of The Bride
    8. Lizzo- Cuz I Love You

Record Of The Year

1. Billie Eilish- Bad Guy
    2. Ariana Grande- 7 Rings
    3. Lil Nas X, Billie Ray Cyrus- Old Town Road
    4. Lizzo- Truth Hurts
    5. 1975- It’s Not Living (If It’s Not With You)
    6. Post Malone, Swea Lee- Sunflower
    7. Jonas Brothers- Sucker
    8. Khalid- Talk

Song Of The Year

1. Billie Eilish- When The Party Is Over
    2. Ariana Grande- Thank U, Next
    3. Jonas Brothers- Sucker
    4. Taylor Swift- You Need To Calm Down
    5. Halsey- Without Me
    6. Khalid- Talk
    7. Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus- Old Town Road
    8. Lewis Capaldi- Somebody You Loved

Best New Artist

1. Billie Eilish
    2. Lizzo
    3. Maggie Roggers
    4. Ava Max
    5. YBN Codae
    6. Joji
    7. Megan Thee Stallion
    8. Lil Nas X

Pop Vocal Album

1. Ariana Grande- Thank U, Next
    2. Billie Eilish- When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go?
    3. Taylor Swift- Lover
    4. Jonas Brothers- Happiness Begins
    5. Pink- Hurts 2B Human
    6. Lana Del Rey- Norman F****** Rockwell

Pop Solo Performance

1. Billie Eilish- Bad Guy
    2. Ariana Grande- Thank U, Next
    3. Taylor Swift- You Need To Calm Down
    4. Katy Perry- Never Really Over
    5. Lewis Capaldi- Somebody You Loved

Pop Duo/ Group Performance

1. Jonas Brothers- Sucker
    2. Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus- Old Town Road
    3. Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber- I Don’t Care
    4. Post Malone, Swea Lee- Sunflower
    5. Sam Smith, Normani- Dancing With A Stranger

Rap Album

1. Tyler The Creator- Igor
    2. Earl Sweatshirt- Some Rap Songs
    3. Meek Mill- Champions
    4. Megan Thee Stallion- Fever
    5. ScHoolBoy Q- CasH Talk
    6. YBN Cordae- The Lost Boy

Rap Perfromance

1. J. Cole- Middle Child
    2. 21 Savage- a lot
    3. Cardi B- Money
    4. Tyler The Creator- Earfquake
    5. Post Malone- Wow
    6. YBN Codea, Anderson Paak.- RPN

Country Album

1. Marren Morris- Girl
    2. George Strait- Honky Tonky Time Machine
    3. Reba McEntire- Stronger Than The Truth
    4. Thomas Rhett- Center Point Road
    5. Willie Nelson- Ride Me Back Home

Alternative Music Album

1. Twenty One Pilots- Trench
    2. The 1975- A Brief Inquiries Into Online Relationships
    3. Vampire Weekend- Father Of The Bride
    4. Maggie Roggers- Heard It In The Past Life
    5. The Black Keys- Let’s Rock

Urban Contemporary Album

1. Anderson Paak.- Ventura
    2. Lizzo- Cuz I Love You
    3. Solange- When I Get Home
    4. Khalid- Free Spirit
    5. Joji- Ballads 1

*Ella Mai is more R&B Album then Urban Contemporary

Music Video

1. Gary Clark Jr- This Land
    2. Billie Eilish- Bury A Friend
    3. 21 Savage- a lot
    4. Anderson Paak., Kendrick Lamar- Tints
    5. FKA Twigs- Cellophane

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Marlon Gonz.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Marlon Gonz.
    ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo should not compete in Pop.

Those categories haven’t been really kind to R&B/Urban artists unless you’re Beyoncé or Bruno Mars.

Even The Weeknd struggled there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe some voters could split, but NFR is more ALTERNATIVE and shes not stranger to the Grammys, but they’d still put it in pop, especially if LFL and Paradise was in pop.

Lana Del Rey has always been someone to watch out for in the alternative pop landscape, but this album shows a more refined, glossier Lana. But imo Lana has always also been a niche pop artist that really hasn’t gotten any commercial acclaim that she deserves. I am skeptical for a nom for AOTY.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

Lana Del Rey has always been someone to watch out for in the alternative pop landscape, but this album shows a more refined, glossier Lana. But imo Lana has always also been a niche pop artist that really hasn’t gotten any commercial acclaim that she deserves. I am skeptical for a nom for AOTY.

this is her best critically though, like LITERALLY  her best. Like I said shes gonna follow the same path as Kacey, Brandi, Janelle and basically artists that dont sell well but high metascores…. NFR being in AOTY is more likely to happen than not.

y'all ugly and smelly

ReplyCopy URL
    Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

this is her best critically though, like LITERALLY her best. Like I said shes gonna follow the same path as Kacey, Brandi, Janelle and basically artists that dont sell well but high metascores…. NFR being in AOTY is more likely to happen than not.

It’s well agreed that this is Lana’s best, but all those mentioned have had something going for them outside of critical success. Kacey sold well and was a contreversal country singer, Brandi was an Americana veteran, and Janelle recently came out (literally) with her most commercially political statement yet. I think something I would compare them all too is Lana has constantly released music and visual for her songs and been in the public eye with all her singles. Lana agreeably has created an authentic palette to work on, better on all fronts, but she is not gonna just need critical acclaim to get into AOTY, hopefully it’s name recognition.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    reputationsgrammy
    Participant
    Topics:

Early Sept. Predictions

AOTY

When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? – Billie Eilish
    Thank U, Next – Ariana Grande
    A Star Is Born – Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper
    Lover – Taylor Swift
    Norman Fucking Rockwell – Lana Del Rey
    Homecoming: The Live Album – Beyonce
    This Land – Gary Clark Jr.
    Western Stars – Bruce Springsteen

I’m not 100% sold on Lana yet. I think she could be the critically successful underdog this year, but I know I’m gonna keep flip flopping between her and Maggie up until nominations. I know everyone is writing off Homecoming, and usually I would agree, but it was such a cultural moment from such an outstanding performer, so I’m gonna keep it in there, at least for now. Notably missing is Cuz I Love You, which I don’t think was a strong enough debut for an AOTY nom, especially when she’ll more than likely be showing up in 3 of the other Big 4. This category is very female-centric right now, which I love, but is probably unrealistic, so I know I’m off somewhere.

ROTY

“7 Rings” – Ariana Grande
    “Bad Guy” – Billie Eilish
    “Truth Hurts” – Lizzo
    “Old Town Road (Remix)” – Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus
    “Sunflower” – Post Malone, Swae Lee
    “Talk” – Khalid
    “Without Me” – Halsey
    “?????” – ?????

Saying OTR isn’t getting a nomination here is absurd. No matter how much you may hate it, it is an innovative song, and that alone is enough to justify nominating it given how huge it was. I left the last spot empty because I couldn’t think of an eighth and I’m sure there will be at least one song I haven’t heard of, lol.

SOTY

“Thank U, Next” – Ariana Grande
    “When The Party’s Over” – Billie Eilish
    “Truth Hurts” – Lizzo
    “Sunflower” – Post Malone, Swae Lee
    “Talk” – Khalid
    “Lover” – Taylor Swift
    “Someone You Loved” – Lewis Capaldi
    “Love It If We Made It” – The 1975

I know Billie will probably submit Bad Guy and I know it will probably get nominated but WTPO is so much better (in every way, but especially lyrically) that I feel morally obligated to at least predict it. I know The 1975 is a stretch but it’s a great song with socially relevant lyrics.

Pop Vocal Album

Lover – Taylor Swift
    Thank U, Next – Ariana Grande
    WWAFA,WDWG? – Billie Eilish
    Free Spirit – Khalid
    Hurts 2B Human – P!nk

Pop Vocal Performance

“You Need To Calm Down” – Taylor Swift
    “Thank U, Next” – Ariana Grande
    “Bad Guy” – Billie Eilish
    “Never Really Over” – Katy Perry
    “Someone You Loved” – Lewis Capaldi

delusional swifties grab back! women grab back!

ReplyCopy URL
    TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

I still wouldn’t put Lana in my AOTY prediction. Nothing has convinced me significantly and right now, it just remains as something to hope for rather than something to expect. And I have her at 5th at Pop Vocal Album.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo’s label should submit “Juice” to Pop. No artist should just limit themselves to one field if there’s music that can be placed elsewhere. She’s probably not likely to get in for “Juice,” but who knows with her popularity.

I had no idea Cuz I Love You is at an 82 on Metacritic. Not predicting it for an AOTY nomination, especially with an accompanying #1 single and a new peak, is beyond me. It’s a near-lock, IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Early Sept. Predictions

AOTY

When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? – Billie Eilish
    Thank U, Next – Ariana Grande
    A Star Is Born – Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper
    Lover – Taylor Swift
    Norman Fucking Rockwell – Lana Del Rey
    Homecoming: The Live Album – Beyonce
    This Land – Gary Clark Jr.
    Western Stars – Bruce Springsteen

I’m not 100% sold on Lana yet. I think she could be the critically successful underdog this year, but I know I’m gonna keep flip flopping between her and Maggie up until nominations. I know everyone is writing off Homecoming, and usually I would agree, but it was such a cultural moment from such an outstanding performer, so I’m gonna keep it in there, at least for now. Notably missing is Cuz I Love You, which I don’t think was a strong enough debut for an AOTY nom, especially when she’ll more than likely be showing up in 3 of the other Big 4. This category is very female-centric right now, which I love, but is probably unrealistic, so I know I’m off somewhere.

In what universe is Cuz I Love U not strong enough? It’s got a #1 single, got great critical acclaim (82 metacritic, which is higher than quite a few of the nominees), has led to some great performances at shows, and Lizzo is just a great media personality.

Also, how is showing up in the other 3 of the big 4 an argument AGAINST an AOTY-nomination? I also think if any country is getting in, it’ll be a different kind of country to that dull and forgettable Western Stars.

Cut western stars, add cuz I love u, then we’ll talk.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo could totally show up in AOTY.

2019 is weak. She has momentum going #1. Industry support. Good reviews. Longevity.

If Cardi made it in, so can Lizzo. “Invasion of Privacy” competed in a way more competitive field.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

ReplyCopy URL
    Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Lana is definitely a wildcard, but her releasing so close to the deadline and having career best reviews will get her that AOTY nomination she definitely deserves.

ReplyCopy URL
    reputationsgrammy
    Participant
    Topics:

In what universe is Cuz I Love U not strong enough?

Not saying it’s not successful enough, and it did receive critical acclaim (because, let’s be real, what bad could you really say about Lizzo?), but looking at the album as a whole, it just seems to have a lot of filler tracks that don’t seem Grammy-worthy. Like A Girl, Soulmate, Tempo, Exactly How I Feel, Better In Color…. they’re all extremely fun (the former two are my favorites off the album) but don’t they seem more like songs that would be Drag Race lipsync’s more than Grammy nominated material? I don’t know, it might just be me.

Also, how is showing up in the other 3 of the big 4 an argument AGAINST an AOTY-nomination?

Because she’ll already be represented. Most people right now are predicting both Billie AND Lizzo to sweep the general field, but is that realistic? I think that voters will happily nominate Lizzo for BNA, ROTY, and SOTY and won’t feel the need to put her in AOTY with an album that has so many “fun-but-not-necessarily-great” tracks. Take a look at the album on Spotify; the streams of each song go on a decline as you go further down the tracklist, with the closer only having 5 mil. Compare that to Billie/Ariana, whose albums have no songs with less than 50 mil.

I love Lizzo a lot, and I love everything she stands for and I think she’s an extremely exciting addition to the music industry. I’m so happy that “Truth Hurts” was so big and I’m excited for her to get love for it at the Grammy’s, but I don’t see voters feeling the need to SHOWER her with nominations her first official year, and if that’s the case I think the album will miss out.

ReplyCopy URL
    reputationsgrammy
    Participant
    Topics:

I also think if any country is getting in, it’ll be a different kind of country to that dull and forgettable Western Stars.

I fully have not heard Western Stars, but it seems to have gotten favorable reviews, and I’m leaning towards it more after finding out that a documentary of the same name will be released right around voting. Just seems like something older voters will eat up.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Because she’ll already be represented. Most people right now are predicting both Billie AND Lizzo to sweep the general field, but is that realistic? I think that voters will happily nominate Lizzo for BNA, ROTY, and SOTY and won’t feel the need to put her in AOTY with an album that has so many “fun-but-not-necessarily-great” tracks. Take a look at the album on Spotify; the streams of each song go on a decline as you go further down the tracklist, with the closer only having 5 mil. Compare that to Billie/Ariana, whose albums have no songs with less than 50 mil.

I love Lizzo a lot, and I love everything she stands for and I think she’s an extremely exciting addition to the music industry. I’m so happy that “Truth Hurts” was so big and I’m excited for her to get love for it at the Grammy’s, but I don’t see voters feeling the need to SHOWER her with nominations her first official year, and if that’s the case I think the album will miss out.

You basically said that the album is average, so critics could have echoed those same thoughts… but they didn’t.

Cuz I Love You is more of a sleeper hit than Eilish’s and Ariana’s albums. And having low Spotify plays did not stop the committee from enjoying H.E.R.’s album.

Also, why would the voters feel the need to not shower Lizzo with across-the-board love, but honor Taylor with yet another AOTY nomination for the same album she’s been making since 1989? Y’all really do have agendas when snubbing some artists and making predictions and speaking as if you know what the voters are thinking.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 808 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.