Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 15)

2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 597 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
Boz
deshunfenty
  • Shivam
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey everyone!

My take on the nominations right now is similar to what most of yours is. I think Billie and Lizzo are lock for all the GF categories while Ariana for the 3 she’s eligible (provided her nominations are right). I don’t think Taylor is going to get nominated in the GF, but if it’s going to be anywhere, it’ll probably be Lover with SOTY. I still haven’t made up my mind about Old Town Road getting into the GF, but as of now I am leaning towards it getting in than not. As for the “Brandie Carlile” pick of this year, I think(and hope) it is Maggie Rogers or/and Gary Clark Jr.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think an album nomination is needed, although I think Pop Vocal Album is really possible.

Only one person won Pop Solo or Female/Male Pop Vocal without an album nomination (when they had an album eligible). That person was Adele.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey everyone!

My take on the nominations right now is similar to what most of yours is. I think Billie and Lizzo are lock for all the GF categories while Ariana for the 3 she’s eligible (provided her nominations are right). I don’t think Taylor is going to get nominated in the GF, but if it’s going to be anywhere, it’ll probably be Lover with SOTY. I still haven’t made up my mind about Old Town Road getting into the GF, but as of now I am leaning towards it getting in than not. As for the “Brandie Carlile” pick of this year, I think(and hope) it is Maggie Rogers or/and Gary Clark Jr.

You’re back legend

Donchano
    Participant
    Topics:

You all overhype Someone You Loved.  Being a ballad doesn’t guarantee the song to be nominated let alone winning in the general field. Outside the song, everything by him especially the album itself is a flop. He doesn’t have strong capacity to put himself as serious contender. Stay With Me has In The Lonely Hour, Thinking Out Loud has Multiply, Someone Like You has 21, Hello has 25 and Someone You Loved has……ergh I don’t even know his album

Korbel Clinton
    Participant
    Topics:

I honestly need to know how the Grammy’s randomly said Truth Hurts was eligible .. it’s 2 years tf old

supermodelslegs
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Someone You Loved will be in Record. He’ll make it in Song, but not win.

24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I can see Lewis Capaldi going the Ed Sheeran route when he first came out… score either a single SOTY nom or an additional one in New Artist, but lose both. Then if he proves to have another hit/album in him, they’ll give him a Grammy. But not till then.

I definitely think Tyler would get in AOTY over the likes of Meek Mill or 21 Savage (who have no chance). I just have a feeling that Tyler’s album was still not big enough to score a nom in the General Field. No hip-hop album is this year.

If you look back at the last 10 years, all of the Rap albums that have been nominated in AOTY were by mainstream artists and had huge sales. Had IGOR even broken 300,000 copies? …then again voters might just consider the album “urban contemporary” and nominate it as a critically backed album just like they did Dirty Computer last year. IGOR definitely can’t compare in popularity to Drake, Cardi B and The Black Panther in terms of hip-hop albums that scored AOTY noms last year. We’ll see I guess.

alex00g2
    Participant
    Topics:

They lost to songs that aren’t nominated in SoTY. I’m pretty sure you got what I mean.

If I remember rightly, in the year when “We are Young” won SoTY, “Somebody That I Used to Know” was not eligible for SoTY under the rules of the day, because it contained an instrumental sample.

So “We are Young” is not a good example of pop songs winning SoTY without winning in pop.

PleaseFeedTheTroll
    Participant
    Topics:

I can see Lewis Capaldi going the Ed Sheeran route when he first came out… score either a single SOTY nom or an additional one in New Artist, but lose both. Then if he proves to have another hit/album in him, they’ll give him a Grammy. But not till then.

I definitely think Tyler would get in AOTY over the likes of Meek Mill or 21 Savage (who have no chance). I just have a feeling that Tyler’s album was still not big enough to score a nom in the General Field. No hip-hop album is this year.

If you look back at the last 10 years, all of the Rap albums that have been nominated in AOTY were by mainstream artists and had huge sales. Had IGOR even broken 300,000 copies? …then again voters might just consider the album “urban contemporary” and nominate it as a critically backed album just like they did Dirty Computer last year. IGOR definitely can’t compare in popularity to Drake, Cardi B and The Black Panther in terms of hip-hop albums that scored AOTY noms last year. We’ll see I guess.

Uh, six of the albums in the top ten highest selling albums of the year are hip-hop albums, so to say that there is not a big enough hip-hop album while suggesting that people who have very little commercial success such as Lana Del Rey are going to receive nominations is perplexing.

PleaseFeedTheTroll
    Participant
    Topics:

Underestimate Lewis Capaldi at your own risk.

Once his song hits the TOP5, it’ll hit all the boxes for a typical SoTY/RoTY winner.

You have songs that are phenomenons that have spent nineteen weeks, ten weeks etcetera at number one, but you believe that a song that has not even reached number one is about to win those awards? The Grammys are not even that obtuse.

Sheeow
    Participant
    Topics:

Someone You Loved would be a MEH winner anywhere, The Grammys needs to get over hag-looking British singer-songwriters barf big time!!

Chris B.
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Someone You Loved will be in Record. He’ll make it in Song, but not win.

Right it didn’t reach as much impact as other nominations that will be in song of the year.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

You have songs that are phenomenons that have spent nineteen weeks, ten weeks etcetera at number one, but you believe that a song that has not even reached number one is about to win those awards? The Grammys are not even that obtuse.

Ten weeks lol? No song has spent double digit number of weeks at #1 other than OTR this year. And I don’t think it’ll win RoTY/SoTY. Its underperformance in the CMAs had me question its likelihood to be taken seriously.

haimclub
    Participant
    Topics:

Jay-Z has won 14 this decade, so he’s ahead of them. Beyoncé has also won 13. Next in line would be Bruno Mars (11), Taylor Swift (10), and Pharrell Williams (10).

The Academy considers the 2010 Grammy Awards (2008-2009 releases) won as the 2000s (https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/beyonc%C9%u9-u2-top-4-grammy-winners-2000s). Jay-Z has won 11 this decade, Beyoncé has won 7, Taylor has won 6.

Adele – 13

Kendrick Lamar – 13

Bruno Mars – 11

Jay-Z – 11

Pharrell Williams – 10

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Unfortunately, it’s looking like Senorita will be in RoTY.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 597 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.