Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 17)

2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 529 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
deshunfenty
Darren
Deemy
  • Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

No. That’d be rude. They’re certainly saving them for many more articles to come in the next few weeks.

You could, at the very least, ask if they have plans to post the full lists for other categories like Album/Record/Song of the Year, the way they did for Best New Artist, or if they have plans to reveal any further submissions.

Profile picture
    Donchano
    Topics:

I’m not sure if you know how the general field nominations review process works. The genre committees are completely separate from the 20-ish-person group that picks the Big Four nominees.

So specific genre committee are not allowed to vote for the general field? Enlighten me please

Profile picture
    Matt2019
    Topics:

Do we have a frontrunner for AOTY? Seem like that ones really up in the air.

Not even Billie or Ariana will win AOTY.

Profile picture
    CarlosEdu21
    Topics:

I’m excited for Lana’s submissions. I hope that she be submitted in Best Alternative Album and not in Best Pop Vocal Album this year.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

So specific genre committee are not allowed to vote for the general field? Enlighten me please

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/7647813/grammy-insider-the-story-behind-the-recording-academys-blue-ribbon

When the genre committee members walk into the conference rooms on that pre-Thanksgiving weekend, they each receive a list of the 15 top vote getters, as selected by the general membership in the first round of balloting. The committee that oversees the four all-genre categories is given the top 20 for each award. The lists are presented in alphabetical order, so committee members can only guess at who came in first and who ranked lower in the voting.

For the next two days, the committee members play each other their favorites from the list and debate — and lobby — for nomination nods. The process ends with a secret vote, even though, insiders say, a consensus is sometimes clear. “We ask them not to narrow it down so much that everybody in the room walks out knowing exactly who’s going to be nominated,” Freimuth says.

There’s one additional wrinkle to the nomination process that’s a source of controversy, even among some committee members. A clause in the voting rules allows the genre committees to replace up to two of the 15 initial nominees with, essentially, write-ins. This allows for more up-to-date (provided the song or record in question was released within the eligibility period) and sometimes provocative nominations, although some committee members contend it has resulted in some unduly random — and unmerited — picks.

The wild-card clause isn’t an issue in the four all-genre categories, because it’s not allowed. That means, Portnow explains, that Simpson’s A Sailor’s Guide to Earth and Paak were among the top 20 vote-getters in, respectively, the album of the year and best new artist categories. “That’s a credit to our voting membership,” says the Recording Academy CEO.

Profile picture
    deshunfenty
    Topics:

I’m excited for Lana’s submissions. I hope that she be submitted in Best Alternative Album and not in Best Pop Vocal Album this year.

The committee might’ve placed her in Pop. Even The 1975 didn’t make it to Alternative. So pop could be yet her fate once again.

#howrudeofme

Profile picture
    haimclub
    Topics:

Taylor Swift lost SOTY with You Belong with Me, Shake it Off and Blank Space, her biggest hits, why do her fans think she’ll win for a forgettable song? lol

Profile picture
    Alexandra
    Topics:

This is off topic a bit but does anyone else think that if Adele were to release that she would be shut out of AOTY because I dont think the Grammys want to give anybody 3 AOTYs not even Adele.

Profile picture
    Soltseven
    Topics:

If Lover gets AOTY Taylor joins Stevie Wonder and Frank Sinatra as the only people who won AOTY 3 times (correct me if I’m wrong). Do you guys actually think they will give her this title? Seems unlikely to me

Profile picture
    Matt2019
    Topics:

Taylor Swift lost SOTY with You Belong with Me, Shake it Off and Blank Space, her biggest hits, why do her fans think she’ll win for a forgettable song? lol

Black Space could have won SOTY if Thinking Out Loud was ruled ineligible for not meeting the Grammy eligibility period deadline three years ago. Lover will probably get nominated in SOTY. But, a SOTY win may be around the corner.

Profile picture
    Alexandra
    Topics:

Not even Billie or Ariana will win AOTY.

Well Taylor definitely won’t win, she probably won’t even get a nomination.

Profile picture
    haimclub
    Topics:

If Lover gets AOTY Taylor joins Stevie Wonder and Frank Sinatra as the only people who won AOTY 3 times (correct me if I’m wrong). Do you guys actually think they will give her this title? Seems unlikely to me

They probably want Adele for that.

Profile picture
    Alexandra
    Topics:

Thats what Im trying to say. I think Adele will be shut out too when she releases.

Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

Bruno Mars swept the GF with his most forgettable era but I agree Taylor’s fans are delusional believing she’s gonna be a factor this year when really nobody cares about Lover

chromatica album of the year yeah

Profile picture
    Matt2019
    Topics:

It could if the AOTY nominees sucks with Ariana, Billie, Lady Gaga getting shutted out of this AOTY race.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 529 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.