Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 21)

2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 21)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 494 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
deshunfenty
Donchano
  • Emptyhanded
    Participant
    Topics:

Block me for what? Cause I’m tired of hearing the same 3 points on the same 3 artists over and over and over again? Or seeing Taylor, Gaga, and Billie fans try and force people to agree with them. Give it a break.

Did you want to go back to early in the year where Ariana was all that was talked about? I guess that wasn’t insufferable. At least with Billie and Gaga they are legit contenders being talked about in a Grammy prediction thread. Ariana (and Taylor) are not.

Emptyhanded
    Participant
    Topics:

Realistically, who can actually win Album of the Year??? I know a lot of that will depend on who gets nominated… Billie Eilish: Pro: Hot new artist with acclaimed album with mostly co-written songs. Con: only 17 yrs old and might be seen as more of an Avril than a Fiona Apple. Ariana Grande: Pro: Followed up Grammy win with an even more acclaimed album with #1 hits. Con: Has yet to be nom’d in General Field, might not be taken seriously by older voters, last year’s Grammy controversy could effect it. Lady Gaga: Pro: Acclaimed and respected Grammy winner with already award-winning album and has never won in General Field before. Con: It’s a soundtrack with its only hit song having already been honored last year. Might not even be nominated. Taylor Swift: Pro: A “comeback” album of sorts since her last. More acclaim this time and good timing of release and promotion. Con: She’s already been awarded in AOTY twice and is unlikely to win again for a long time. After missing out last time, she’s fighting for a nom. Lizzo: Pro: Hot new artist that peaked at the right time. #1 hit across genres, plus she’s a known great performer and plays the flute. Con: She’s a “new artist” and skews urban… AOTY hasn’t been too friendly to that genre… ask Beyoncé. Bruce Springsteen: Pro: Has had a killer year with Tony and Emmy Award winning shows, critically acclaimed album and has never won AOTY before, despite being a big legend. Con: Veteran acts don’t typically get nominated anymore, so he’s fighting for the nomination. Khalid: Pro: Pop/urban hit album that’s stayed in the charts all year. Con: Not critically acclaimed. Lana Del Rey: Pro: Critically acclaimed and former Grammy nominee/respected alt. artist. Con: Won’t have much support in the genre fields, no hit songs. Vampire Weekend: Pro: critically acclaimed album and comeback narrative. Con: Alternative album fighting for a nom. Will it have wide support? Gary Clark Jr Pro: Critically acclaimed blues/rock album by former Grammy winner and performer. Strong political message is always a plus. Support from multiple genre branches: blues, R&B and Rock. Con: His only con will be if enough ears have listened to his music. He has won before though but never been nominated in the General Field. Is he well known enough to win AOTY??? I’m thinking if Bruce is nominated he wins. If he isn’t, and Lady Gaga is nominated, then she wins. If neither is nominated (which is still very likely), then Gary Clark Jr wins. If he isn’t nominated (which could also happen), then I think Vampire Weekend can win… but if they aren’t nominated, then Billie Eilish will be the winner.

From the list, only Bruce, Gary, and possibly Billie, Lizzo, and Gaga can win. If for some reason none of them make it, it would go to someone completely random. Not Khalid or Ariana or Taylor.

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

who tf is Freddy Gibbs?

Honey instead of going with stan and pop culture, find out what’s actually good music. Bandana is probably one of the best albums of the year.

Barnacles Bro

M
    Participant
    Topics:

A two time AOTY winner with a 3x Platinum album, two pop-field darlings (one of those with better sales), the woman behind one of the top 5 biggest hits of the year in the US (which sold 17 million copies internationally and was the best selling single worldwide that year), and the only one with a GF nom (aside from being the only male) sounds like some good competition. Also, all of those minus Camila are GF nominees. Y’all really go miles extra just to discredit Sweetener’s win lmao. Thank U Next is the next in line if Billie doesn’t win. Thinking otherwise is delusional.

Oh please. Let’s not act like Pink is some Grammy darling. She has only 3 Grammy’s in like a 20 year career? She’s the type of artists that get nominated but doesn’t win. Her album, just like Reputation, was also hurt by timing.

Ariana had the #1 song when the voters were voting. She was definitely propeled by that to win Pop Vocal. Now TUN has aged like milk. Unless she’s got some new hype when the voters are voting, she ain’t winning anything. And her most recent attempts at regaining hype have all failed horribly (Boyfriend, Angel etc..).

Lizzo, Lewis and Billie are definitely ahead of her in Pop Solo. Billie is definitely ahead of her in Pop Vocal. And even Taylor Swift can pull ahead if she releases a successful radio single by the time the 2nd round takes place.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

And if Ariana gets name-checked in Pop Duo/GP with Boyfriend, I will definitely predict her in both Pop Solo and Pop Album, as it’ll show that there’s still hype around her.

But unless such a showing of strength happens on Nominations Day, I think she’ll likely go home empty handed.

MTom
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the strongest contenders for SOTY are Truth Hurts and Thank U, Next. Sure, TU,N lyrics aren’t extremely amazing but they were iconic and propelled Ariana to what has been the peak of her career. Just like someone said earlier, it was a very clever way to use the news and controversy surrounding her relationships into a song, with memorable lyrics and a good meaning overall. Now, it’s true that it has been a while since it came out and its quite possible that the fire has calmed down, which gives Truth Hurts the upper hand, which also has iconic lyrics. I believe Someone You Loved would be the safe vote for SOTY, the kind of win we have seen time and time again and not the image the Grammys want to project anymore. As for Lover receiving a nomination for SOTY, its the only GF nomination for Taylor that seems possible, but she would most likely be competing against Someone You Loved for the spot and once again represents a safe vote. Then again, Taylor has never been awarded for her songwriting, so it might be considered, but I believe this year is not her time.

It’s time we accept that the old stars of 2010s are dying out and being replaced with new talent, and the celebrities we have seen so prominent in this decade will become remembered and recognized for their greatness, but not as relevant in the grand scheme of popular music in the coming decade. By this I mean Gaga, Taylor, Beyoncé, and possibly even Ariana, as she may have already reached her peak this 2019.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  MTom.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  MTom.
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

And if Ariana gets name-checked in Pop Duo/GP with Boyfriend, I will definitely predict her in both Pop Solo and Pop Album, as it’ll show that there’s still hype around her.

But unless such a showing of strength happens on Nominations Day, I think she’ll likely go home empty handed.

Okay? No one said she was winning anything. I just said that, IMO, thank u next would be a deserving SOTY winner.

Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Summer has a better chance next year if Girls Need Love doesn’t get nominated for anything.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh please. Let’s not act like Pink is some Grammy darling. She has only 3 Grammy’s in like a 20 year career? She’s the type of artists that get nominated but doesn’t win. Her album, just like Reputation, was also hurt by timing.

Ariana had the #1 song when the voters were voting. She was definitely propeled by that to win Pop Vocal.

So is that why you had Ariana in 4th place for Pop Vocal, behind Kelly, Pink, and Taylor?

M
    Participant
    Topics:

So is that why you had Ariana in 4th place for Pop Vocal, behind Kelly, Pink, and Taylor?

So what? Didn’t you have “Joanne” in 4th place? I mean I had “God Is A Woman” in 2nd place behind Joanne when many people would put her behind Camila. Perhaps I was misled into thinking that Taylor, Pink and Kelly Clarkson were Grammy darlings,when it turned out to be false.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

So what? Didn’t you have “Joanne” in 4th place?

Sure. The difference is I’m not going around claiming that Lady Gaga was obviously going to win with Joanne and that she had no competition.

Emptyhanded
    Participant
    Topics:

So what? Didn’t you have “Joanne” in 4th place? I mean I had “God Is A Woman” in 2nd place behind Joanne when many people would put her behind Camila. Perhaps I was misled into thinking that Taylor, Pink and Kelly Clarkson were Grammy darlings,when it turned out to be false.

Pink doesn’t even win in her own field so not sure why you would think she was a darling.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh please. Let’s not act like Pink is some Grammy darling. She has only 3 Grammy’s in like a 20 year career? She’s the type of artists that get nominated but doesn’t win. Her album, just like Reputation, was also hurt by timing. Ariana had the #1 song when the voters were voting. She was definitely propeled by that to win Pop Vocal. Now TUN has aged like milk. Unless she’s got some new hype when the voters are voting, she ain’t winning anything. And her most recent attempts at regaining hype have all failed horribly (Boyfriend, Angel etc..). Lizzo, Lewis and Billie are definitely ahead of her in Pop Solo. Billie is definitely ahead of her in Pop Vocal. And even Taylor Swift can pull ahead if she releases a successful radio single by the time the 2nd round takes place.

It’s easy to say all of this in retrospect, but the thing is: Ariana won because voters wanted her to.

If it was a matter of “lack of competition”, Camila Cabello would have won Pop Solo, which had a much weaker line-up. She didn’t, because she’s not respected enough to win a Grammy so easily and so soon. Ariana won Pop Vocal Album(a very difficult category to win, may I add), because she paid her dues. If they didn’t take her seriously, it wouldn’t matter that she was more popular: Taylor would win by default because she is a Grammy darling and had the best selling album by miles, or P!nk would have won if they were just against Taylor/Reputation. Beautiful Trauma had much better sales than Sweetener, and Grammy voters do know/care about sales. There are many examples of that, specially in the Pop Field.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  MarinaBelo2.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  MarinaBelo2.
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Sure. The difference is I’m not going around claiming that Lady Gaga was obviously going to win with Joanne and that she had no competition.

Um, not sure what you meant. But yes Gaga actually had no serious competition, hence why I predicted the win.

She wouldn’t have won with Joanne, against “Shape of You”, “Hello” or “Thinking Out Loud”, which is exactly my point with “Sweetener” as well; just because she won against weak competition doesn’t mean she’ll repeat this year when there is at least one stronger contender than her.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

If it was a matter of “lack of competition”, Camila Cabello would have won Pop Solo.  

The difference between me and you I never considered Cabello to be “competition”. It was clear to me she was going home empty-handed. And I didn’t even have her 2nd behind Joanne.

And as I said before, it didn’t come down to sales. It came down to timing. I believe TUN being #1 at the time propelled Ariana to win despite her poor Grammy history. That’s just not gonna happen again this year. Sweetener’s win might’ve already been her reward for “TUN” when it was fresh at the time.

The bottom line is, Ariana had no serious competition in Pop Album, and when she had “competition” from a beloved artist (Gaga) in Pop Solo, she lost.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  M.
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 21)’ is closed to new replies.