Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 24)

2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 24)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 540 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +39 hidden )
replies
views
users
deshunfenty
M
ayanami
  • Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

Reputation did the same. Sometimes you have to think about things in a relative sense. If she had a #1 smash, then the decline wouldn’t be so obvious. It hasn’t produced a true smash. Just merely a couple of hits.

Reputation didnt have a “SMASH” either. She had a song that was BIG for a couple weeks coming off of her biggest Pop era ever 1989 so the lead would have been huge out the gate automatically. Now shes recovering from a lackluster era but yet still managed 3 top 10 singles. 2 of those Top 2. I wouldn’t call that a SIGNIFICANT decline seeing as “Reputation” was a decline from 1989.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Reputation didnt have a “SMASH” either.

Correct, which is my point.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Besides, we already have two potential pop vocal album contenders that will likely get nominated a bunch of times. There’s no need to go crazy for Taylor this time around, and she shouldn’t be nominated just because she had a successful enough era comparative to others.

Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

The point is… The album sold. She didn’t hold a gun to their heads to buy it. Just because there are 100 versions of something.. the content on the album is still the same. Is it not? Right.  

She didn’t hold a gun to their heads but we know how the Swifties are…. it obviously didn’t help though if we remember that huge decline in the second week.

I only believe she’ll get in AOTY because of her appearances and campaigning. For an album that faded after the first week.

y'all ugly and smelly

Grammy
    Participant
    Topics:

Agreed! Janelle deserved so much better . I think she had like 2 noms. AOTY and BMV. I doubt anyone could win AOTY, as their only nomination.

George Harrison did it when he won for AOTY in 1972.

RedStarlight
    Participant
    Topics:

My pop field predictions

BEST POP VOCAL ALBUM

– When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?, Billie Eilish

– Thank U, Next, Ariana Grande

– Norman Fuking Rockwell!, Lana Del Rey

– Lover, Taylor Swift

– Happiness Begins, Jonas Brothers

Others: Hurts 2 Be Human,P!nk –

No.6 Collaborations Project, Ed Sheeran –

Late Night Feelings, Mark Ronson.

BEST POP SOLO PERFORMANCE

– Bad Guy, Billie Eilish

– 7 Rings, Ariana Grande

– Truth Hurts, Lizzo

– Someone You Loved, Lewis Capaldi

– Without Me, Halsey

Others: Always Remember Us This Way, Lady Gaga –

If I Can’t Have You, Shawn Mendes –

You Need To Calm Down, Taylor Swift.

BEST POP DUO/GROUP PERFORMANCE

– Old Town Road, Lil Nas X & Billy Ray Cyrus

– Señorita, Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello

– Sunflower, Post Malone & Swae Lee

– Sucker, Jonas Brothers

– Dancing With A Stranger, Sam Smith & Normani

Others: Nothing Breaks Like A Heart, Mark Ronson & Miley Cyrus –

I’ll Never Love Again, Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper –

High Hopes (Live), Panic! At The Disco.

Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

Sweetie that was the best decision Goddess Taylor made! I bought 365 copies of Lover and I play one copy each day! I feel like I’m falling in love with Goddess Taylor in a different way each day!

The way y’all put energy into getting Gucci removed endlessly should put some energy into getting this hoe removed too.

y'all ugly and smelly

Distant Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

Lover was also the only release this year that had multiple copies available for purchase, you know her sheep fans were going to buy every version (more than once). Imagine how much the album would’ve been struggling without the multiple releases. With all that promo and exclusive copies, it underperformed.

Imagine how bad some artists’ albums would be without merch and tour bundles then. This is a poor excuse for discrediting her sales. Even if you cut it in half she would have still surpassed the Jonas Brothers for the highest first week of this year- she sold more than them in the first day of release.

It is also worth noting that Jonas Brothers had a tour bundle.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Some of you are forgetting that just because Taylor had 1 BAD era with an album that was polarizing doesn’t mean that she’ll suffer the same fate forever…

This is a woman who have been nominated for AOTY 3 times and has won twice. She’s made it into ROTY/SOTY with a song that misses its genre category. She shouldn’t be underestimated.

This is where we don’t see eye to eye, girl.

I’m not understanding this Taylor Swift rhetoric from her fans and even non-fans that think she’s automatically in major categories just because of frontloaded first weeks and aggressive campaigning. Even with her two AOTY wins, Taylor is still very much a divisive artist. That’s why you never see her sweeping the Grammys. She’s only smashing in wins when she is smashing in an era. She hasn’t won ROTY or SOTY and barely any of the genre categories. She’s not an Adele when it comes to this.

Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

This is where we don’t see eye to eye, girl.

I’m not understanding this Taylor Swift rhetoric from her fans and even non-fans that think she’s automatically in major categories just because of frontloaded first weeks and aggressive campaigning. Even with her two AOTY wins, Taylor is still very much a divisive artist. That’s why you never see her sweeping the Grammys. She’s only smashing in wins when she is smashing in an era. She hasn’t won ROTY or SOTY and barely any of the genre categories. She’s not an Adele when it comes to this.

I wouldn’t use divisive to describe someone like Taylor Swift. She’s still well liked – one would say too liked by the Academy. I think she’ll get a General Field nom as a filler commercial pick. Her star power and commercial appeal can get her in one of the big 3. I don’t see her winning but I can see them nominating her.

ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

I disagree. Taylor Swift is not divisive in the eyes of the GP and Academy even including the Reputation era. The controversies that surround her is typical mean girl, he-said she-said crap. Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj, Kanye West and his slavery comments are truly divisive. Taylor Swift is vanilla in comparison.

And Taylor is the perennial filler nomination in the GF. See: Red, Shake It Off and WANEGBT. If she could get a filler AOTY nomination for Red, I would not be surprised to see her get another one for Lover. Red also had two Top 2 hit singles, and was one of the best selling albums in 2012, just as Lover will be this year. Both also received highly positive reviews.

Emptyhanded
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t use divisive to describe someone like Taylor Swift. She’s still well liked – one would say too liked by the Academy. I think she’ll get a General Field nom as a filler commercial pick. Her star power and commercial appeal can get her in one of the big 3. I don’t see her winning but I can see them nominating her.

She kind of is divisive. Most people like her but there is a large group who think she is a “Mean Girl” character and are turned off. Her Grammy record shows this.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Emptyhanded.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Emptyhanded.
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

I disagree. Taylor Swift is not divisive in the eyes of the GP and Academy even including the Reputation era. The controversies that surround her is typical mean girl, he-said she-said crap. Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj, Kanye West and his slavery comments are truly divisive. Taylor Swift is vanilla in comparison.

And Taylor is the perennial filler nomination in the GF. See: Red, Shake It Off and WANEGBT. If she could get a filler AOTY nomination for Red, I would not be surprised to see her get another one for Lover. Red also had two Top 2 hit singles, and was one of the best selling albums in 2012, just as Lover will be this year. Both also received highly positive reviews.

If that’s the case, then none of the major artists are divisive (which isn’t true) if you’re going by GP and popularity. She’s well liked but there is a group of people that consider her too calculating, conniving, transparent, childish etc.,

Red wasn’t filler considering its reception and genuine success. Shake it Off and We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together getting GF nods were because they were massive hits in big era, which is lacking in the Lover era. You Need To Calm Down and Lover are nowhere near the appeal of the former two. If anything, when Taylor is nominated, it’s usually competing for the win, not being a simple filler nod (Red was in a top 5 while Lover will struggle for low tier 8 nominee slot).

ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

If that’s the case, then none of the major artists are divisive (which isn’t true) if you’re going by GP and popularity. She’s well liked but there is a group of people that consider her too calculating, conniving, transparent, childish etc.,

I wouldn’t call that image divisive, which in my opinion is a strong word. I see a lot of dumbass twitter users call Ariana a diva and bimbo all the time, for licking the donut, and “gay and black phishing.” But I wouldn’t call her divisive either. I think at some point, anyone who’s truly popular and successful will have their fair share detractors. Taylor Swift overall is very well-liked and respected by the GP. She’s no Madonna or Miley Cyrus in terms of controversy and clout, who in my opinion, are divisive.

I wouldn’t attribute Taylor’s public image to her somewhat poor Grammy record either. None of her singles were ever going to win GF categories. Her closest shot to winning was probably Shake It Off in Record of the Year, but even that’s a stretch.

1. Shake It Off was never going to win SOTY with its cringe-inducing lyrics. (I have no idea how the GP was shocked at Me! when Taylor Swift obviously saw good precedent in her doing that sort of lead single release).
    2. Blank Space was never going to win SOTY. Blank Space is a good record because of its unique, sparse production, and tongue-in-cheek well-written lyrics. But Blank Space, and in fact, most of 1989, utilise one-note melodies abundantly. The melody is too simple and lightweight for the song to win a songwriting award. And in fact, good chord progression and complexity in melody mark the difference between Blank Space and That’s What I Like.
    3. Blank Space had its best shot in ROTY. It would’ve been a great place to award Swift and Max Martin. But they lost due to competition.
    4. You Belong With Me as a whole was too lightweight to win anything. It’s typical teen-pop.
    5. WANEGT’s nomination for ROTY was absolutely a filler nomination. I’m not surprised it got a nomination though because personally, I think it’s Taylor Swift’s best lead single release, by far.

~ So just because Taylor Swift lost in the GF song categories repeatedly isn’t because she’s divisive. If she was, she wouldn’t have won AOTY a second time. She lost the song categories because the songs themselves are very lightweight. Taylor shines the most when examining her albums as a whole. She’s an albums artist, not a singles artist.

~ And I think Red is a filler nomination because it was never going to win AOTY. In fact, it lost its genre nomination. I see Lover doing similarly.

~ As for the Reputation snubs. Reputation is easily Taylor Swift’s worst album. It just didn’t work out for her musically. I think she was snubbed not because she’s divisive, and not even because the era “flopped.”Reputation just wasn’t good. BTW: I think Reputation was commercially successful. Perhaps not relative to 1989, but no artist is ever going to top their previous era every time, forever. Reputation was one of the best selling albums of 2018, and had a #1 hit. It’s no ARTPOP.

~ This is so long, lol. I went off. But I felt I had to say this much because I think I started this Taylor mess of a discussion a few pages ago, so I want to make my sentiments clear.

ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

She kind of is divisive. Most people like her but there is a large group who think she is a “Mean Girl” character and are turned off. Her Grammy record shows this.

See my unnecessary thesis above.

Red wasn’t filler considering its reception and genuine success. Shake it Off and We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together getting GF nods were because they were massive hits in big era, which is lacking in the Lover era. You Need To Calm Down and Lover are nowhere near the appeal of the former two. If anything, when Taylor is nominated, it’s usually competing for the win, not being a simple filler nod (Red was in a top 5 while Lover will struggle for low tier 8 nominee slot).

That’s true. Lover is not as commercially successful as Red or 1989. Which is why, unlike Red or 1989, I don’t see Lover picking up more than 1 GF nomination.
    1. I think she’s a lock for BPVA.
    2. I think she has a chance for AOTY.
    3. She has an outside chance for BMV and Country Perf.
    4. Pop Solo, SOTY and ROTY are not happening.

Lover will definitely be a filler nomination, just like Red. I just think it will be even more of a filler. I think Lover would make the AOTY nomination because it’s a commercially successful album (one of the best selling of the year), and it’s a much better album than Reputation. The Academy could nominate her as a way of embracing the back-to-roots approach. I don’t think Lover could pick up as much nominations as Red because yes Lover is not as commercially successful. But Lover could still nab an AOTY nod because it’s now a category of 8 albums, and Lover can be this year’s filler.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 540 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 24)’ is closed to new replies.