Home Forums Music 2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 25)

2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 25)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 474 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +26 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
Cameron
fortheculture
  • Profile picture
    ayanami
    Topics:

Oh and Gaga or Beyonce should have won in 2010, sorry Tay.

Especially knowing Taylor would win again in 2016, knowing that Gaga and Beyonce still haven’t won AOTY, and because Taylor shouldn’t really be a 2x AOTY winner, I think either Gaga or Bey should have won in 2010.

Also, Fearless was basic af. Taylor’s next three albums ended up being wayy better than Fearless, IMO. Hence, I think the Academy gave Taylor an AOTY win far too early in her career with the Fearless win.

Ironically, Kanye’s actions did the reverse of what he wanted. By talking smack about Taylor’s win on stage to prop up Beyonce, Kanye only caused Bey to lose to Taylor on a much bigger scale just months later.. Kanye can be so dumb, honestly.

My opinion on AOTY winners (with benefit of hindsight, and as close to real winners & nominees as possible):
    2010: Gaga or Bey
    2011: Arcade Fire if Gaga wins ’10, Gaga if Bey wins ’10
    2015: Bey if Gaga wins ’10, Beck if Bey wins ’10
    2016: Taylor

Others:
    2014: Kendrick Lamar
    2018: Bruno Mars

Profile picture
    cheyenne lee
    Topics:

One factor I think we’re underestimating is the music industry’s shift towards more urban-leaning songs. The fact that 5/8 artists nominated for AOTY last year were Hip-Hop/ R&B artists can be correlated with this. I wonder if this may play out in the nominations for this year since The Recording Academy have always historically snubbed more urban-sounding records in the GF

Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

The fact that 5/8 artists nominated for AOTY last year

I could see but those albums/artists were the most dominating genres in last year’s period which is why it tended to be that much nominated. The only hiphop/r&b leaning artist that could show up in AOTY this time will be Lizzo and (maybe Tyler)

As far as ROTY & SOTY it’ll be probably a mixture of pop and hip hop, while representing hip hop will be Lizzo, Post Malone and Lil Nas.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Fearless deserved AOTY but 1989 sure as hell didn’t. It’s beyond me how Taylor is a 2x AOTY winner while Gaga and Beyoncé don’t even have one AOTY win.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Bey rightfully lost in 2010 btw, I Am.. Sasha Fierce was a tragic album. I’d say The Fame deserved to win the most in 2010 but Fearless was second for me.

Profile picture
    Vogue
    Topics:

Neither Taylor Swift, nor Gaga, deserved to be nominated for AOTY.

Profile picture
    fortheculture
    Topics:

I agree with the Arcade Fire AOTY victory. This was in the middle of the indie rock craze, and Arcade Fire was easily the biggest band in the world that your mom had never heard of. They were headlining every music festival and playing an arena tour, The Suburbs Tour was actually my first concert so maybe I am a bit biased. Their first album Funeral is considered one of the best albums of this century and probably the defining album 2000’s indie rock , and The Suburbs was a reward for going three for three on their first three albums. Also, The Sprawl Pt. II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) is such an incredibly beautiful song. This album and their early discography has aged incredibly well in my opinion.

I agree that The Fame Monster > The Fame in that TFM finally allowed for her music to be as weird as her fashion was, and cut the fat by eliminating all filler tracks (at least half of TF are skips). The production style of these albums sounds noticeably aged and corny now, but it’s not that bad because these are cheeky and fun albums. I don’t agree with Fearless winning AOTY but I also don’t think The Fame was strong enough. TFM would have maybe been worthy if she had added 4 more strong tracks to make it a 12 track, and if The Suburbs hadn’t been released that year.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

In 2010, I think Taylor Swift should’ve won Song of the Year for You Belong With Me, it’s really an amazing song.

Record of the Year should’ve gone to Halo by Beyoncé. Album of the Year should’ve gone to The Fame. It’s the album that defined the year and spawned like 4 top 5 hits, including two #1 diamond singles.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by M.
    Profile picture
    fortheculture
    Topics:

Take Care is 8 years old today, back when Drake still had quality control. Easily my favorite Drake album. The only recent Drake album that isn’t trash is More Life, I love the house music elements on that album, but he is a culture vulture recently doing dancehall, New Orleans bounce, and Afrobeat.  2019 is the first year since 2014 that he didn’t release a solo album, he just rereleased his old mixtape and put all his internet loosies up on Spotify. Hopefully getting booed at Tyler’s music festival will be humbling for him and he will stop releasing these 25 song albums with two good songs.

Edit: sorry I just noticed that this has nothing to do with this year’s Grammys, although he and Kanye are very overdue for AOTY. I am afraid they are both already past their prime but realistically Drake still has a chance if he can get his sh together and release another Take Care.

Profile picture
    ayanami
    Topics:

Fearless deserved AOTY but 1989 sure as hell didn’t. It’s beyond me how Taylor is a 2x AOTY winner while Gaga and Beyoncé don’t even have one AOTY win.

I agree that Taylor should only be a 1x AOTY winner, but I actually think she deserved it more for 1989 rather than Fearless. Idk, but 1989 was that b*tch, imo. Such a great album and moment for her.

Unpopular opinion: Taylor suits pop wayy more than her “country” days.

Profile picture
    Kai
    Topics:

Fearless was the best album out of the 2010 nominees, but I would’ve given it to The Fame. Gaga defined music that year, was everywhere and the album shaped the early 2010s dance scene in American pop. The Fame is also a pretty solid album and the second best out of the nominees.

If I were a voter:
    AOTY: The Fame
    ROTY: Poker Face
    SOTY: You Belong With Me

Profile picture
    ayanami
    Topics:

Bey rightfully lost in 2010 btw, I Am.. Sasha Fierce was a tragic album. I’d say The Fame deserved to win the most in 2010 but Fearless was second for me.

Hmm that’s true actually. IASF is actually Bey’s worst album, imo. But ironically, it was probably her best shot at ever winning AOTY..

IMO, Bey’s best album is easily Self-Titled, yet I don’t think she was even 2nd for that in AOTY, because Pharell beat her in the genre category, and Sam Smith was sweeping the other categories. Bey could have been anywhere from #3 to #5..

Bey was never going to beat Adele in 2017. If Bey had a chance, they would have split the GF somehow, which was my initial prediction.

Meanwhile, Gaga’s best shot at winning AOTY seemed to have been 2011 for TFM, which is also her best album, IMO. Hence why I think 2010: Bey and 2011: Gaga.

Profile picture
    fortheculture
    Topics:

I think Beyoncé’s best chance at AOTY was in 2015 when Beck won. Worst AOTY choice of the decade followed by Mumford & Sons and Bruno Mars.

Profile picture
    fortunesfool
    Topics:

Neither Taylor Swift, nor Gaga, deserved to be nominated for AOTY.

So the two highest Metacritic scores from that group are the ones that didn’t deserve to be nominated? That’s…. a choice.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Hmm that’s true actually. IASF is actually Bey’s worst album, imo. But ironically, it was probably her best shot at ever winning AOTY..

I didn’t like Sasha Fierce, but I Am was just full of bops Every song in that part is really great; Broken Hearted Girl, Ava Maria, Halo, Scared of Lonely etc..

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 474 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammy Predictions (Part 25)’ is closed to new replies.