Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 490 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +26 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
M
Boz
  • Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s not surprising at all, but I don’t think they suddenly decided Childish Gambino is the best thing since sliced bread, just that they really liked “This Is America.”

Well he got in AOTY and ROTY the year prior. So he was on their radar.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

^ NOT happening.

You mean:

Pop Solo: Billie Eilish

Pop Duo/Group: TBD

Pop Album: Billie Eilish

I love how y’all are saying Pop Duo us “TBD” just because you don’t want to predict the JoBros lmao.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I love how y’all are saying Pop Duo us “TBD” just because you don’t want to predict the JoBros lmao.

There is not a clear frontrunner at this point, lol. Don’t keep doing this.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

*switches on Gucci mode*

Girl please you need to hop off Jonas Brother dick

*switches off Gucci mode*

Brayfers
    Participant
    Topics:

Could Without Me not upset in Pop Solo? I feel like neither Ariana or Billie are as safe as It is being made to seem, especially considering were not sure what Gaga will submit and Without Me is a strong contender is it not?

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

*switches on Gucci mode*

Girl please you need to hop off Jonas Brother dick

*switches off Gucci mode*

I actually despise their music, but it pains me to see y’all doing the most to find an excuse as to why they won’t win when it’s not that complicated.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Could Without Me not upset in Pop Solo? I feel like neither Ariana or Billie are as safe as It is being made to seem, especially considering were not sure what Gaga will submit and Without Me is a strong contender is it not?

I don’t think so. In my opinion, Ariana and Halsey aren’t serious contenders to win, although the former is obviously a lock for a nomination and the latter should be in as well.

“Without Me” was arguably a marginally bigger hit than either of Ariana’s eligible songs, but it’s older, and Ariana is the bigger, flashier name and has a much better track record. So if it comes down to the two of them, I think it’s Ariana.

But over them, I think they will go with either Billie Eilish, who feels very much like the “next big thing” and could easily appeal to voters across genres and demographics, or Lady Gaga, a respected name-brand artist with a song from a popular and well-liked movie about the business.

Brayfers
    Participant
    Topics:

Thats a little disappointing, tbh. I really like Without Me and I felt like it is has a good message, it connected well with the general audience, it’s a good recording. I honestly would prefer it to be this year’s winner, depending on what Gaga gets nominated with.

AwardsBait3818
    Participant
    Topics:

I see Pop Solo as a race between Ariana, Billie, and Gaga. Joanne’s out of nowhere win this year showed me that this category is all about hype. Gaga was riding high on her Record and Song nominations, plus her two pop nominations, and that ultimately gave her the buzz to beat Ariana, Camila, and Post. Gaga still has A Star is Born buzz, and Ariana and Billie are the two biggest artists of the year. I see all three as highly competitive for the win.

Halsey seems very likely for a nomination, but I don’t see her as very competitive for the win considering she isn’t actually that big, she just has a very big hit. After her I’d go with either Katy, Shawn, or Taylor, they’re all big names with decent Grammy history and hits. I’m currently going with Shawn since he has the biggest hit of the bunch.

P!nk’s single flopped, and she doesn’t get in unless she has at least a minor hit. Kelly sometimes makes it in with flops, but she’s competing with a forgotten song from a forgotten kids movie. As for Capaldi I think he’s generally been overhyped by these forums, and I don’t see his song as big enough for a nomination. Even if you buy into the Ed Sheeran comparison (I don’t) he missed Pop Solo for The A Team, so that doesn’t bode well for Capaldi.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually despise their music, but it pains me to see y’all doing the most to find an excuse as to why they won’t win when it’s not that complicated.

Because there’s nothing about it that makes it a lock.

What makes you think Sunflower can’t win for example? It was far more successful commercially and the song isn’t rap or anything, it’s as pop as it gets.

Unlike what people say here, I Don’t Care could also win, but its downside it has bieber on it.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Because there’s nothing about it that makes it a lock. What makes you think Sunflower can’t win for example? It was far more successful commercially and the song isn’t rap or anything, it’s as pop as it gets. Unlike what people say here, I Don’t Care could also win, but its downside it has bieber on it.

Grammys will never take Post Malone seriously. Do you really imagine old white conservative men voting for him to win anything? I don’t. His best shot would be winning something in the Rap field, but after the Macklemore controversy, no white man is going to win a Rap Grammy unless he’s called Eminem OR has lots of critical acclaim, which he totally lacks. I Don’t Care isn’t winning either, it’s too juvenile.

The winner will be Sucker, or Dancing with a stranger or a random nominee with a safe, bland and boring ballad. “Sucker” is not losing to I Don’t Care, ME! or Señorita.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

1. How exactly is “I Don’t Care” juvenile? It’s not an amazing or groundbreaking song, but it’s just a hyper-mainstream love song. You’ve said multiple times that it’s “childish” but I’m not following the logic.

2. Have you forgotten that they recently gave a Grammy in the pop field to a song from a children’s movie?

Sheeow
    Participant
    Topics:

Grammys will never take Post Malone seriously. Do you really imagine old white conservative men voting for him to win anything? I don’t. His best shot would be winning something in the Rap field, but after the Macklemore controversy, no white man is going to win a Rap Grammy unless he’s called Eminem OR has lots of critical acclaim, which he totally lacks. I Don’t Care isn’t winning either, it’s too juvenile. The winner will be Sucker, or Dancing with a stranger or a random nominee with a safe, bland and boring ballad. “Sucker” is not losing to I Don’t Care, ME! or Señorita.

lmao are you talking about “I’ll Never Love Again” or “I Don’t Know What Love Is”?

M
    Participant
    Topics:

As much as I don’t want it to happen, I wouldn’t rule out I Don’t Care win.

I’m hoping for a Sam Smith upset. Honestly, even Sunflower would be a better winner than I Don’t Care or Sucker. It’s at least an original song.

If Gaga submits “I’ll Never Love Again”, I surely hope it gets nominated and wins, because that song is definitely grammy-worthy. But I’m not sure it’ll even be submitted/accepted there especially now that there is a screening committee.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

But I’m not sure it’ll even be submitted/accepted there especially now that there is a screening committee.

There has always been screening. That determines genre and eligibility. It is not the same thing as a nominations review committee. It will still be a straight vote.

The only thing changing is that pop and rock are getting dedicated screening committees.

Previously, pop and rock entries were screened by the large “Core Committee,” which meets each fall for a two-day session. With the addition of pop and rock committees, the Core Committee will become a smaller, one-day event. It will remain focused on determining eligibility for best new artist (traditionally the hardest category to define) and on resolving conflicts from other screening committees, such as trying to find the best home for borderline entries that fall between genres.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 490 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.